Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
johnpaul10028
New User

Reged: 07/11/10
Best states for private/public health insurance
      #251129 - 07/11/10 11:40 PM

I am retired due to hiv/aids and other conditions. I am too sick to work but not sick enough to die. I want to move somewhere in the US (or even out of country if that's possible anymore). I make about 58.000 USD per year on SSDI + disability income i got through work.

I am looking for when my COBRA runs out -- I want good health insurance that will pay not just for hiv meds and docs, but also for a psychologist, chiropractor, and heart, diabetes, dental, physical therapy, and other types of doctors and medical procedures. Also home health care or home help if possible. My work insurance through COBRA is great, but it lasts only 3 years tops if that much. I need to start looking into this.

I have no ties to anywhere, and I'd like to live somewhere vibrant with good public transport and good culture. But most important, I need to have good health care. Given my income, I probably make too much for any government assistance, so it is possible that I can make a good salary and have to choose between living comfortably for a little while longer because I can't get coverage for meds due to my income, or the other choice of being homeless but totally healthy sleeping in them ditches cause I can afford my hiv meds.

So, where do I go to get insurance? I can't depend on snagging me a man who has domestic partner benefits. I can only rely on myself -- can't have another gay man with me over that barrel again.

Where's the place in this country to move so I can continue to maintain my kind of OK quality of life and kind of OK quality of health -- which states or cities or wherever has the best private insurance that pays for my hiv meds and my chiropractor (without whom I'd be in a wheelchair) and also for my diabetes stuff and heart stuff (which I'd be dead without).

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1923

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3