Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
caliztony

Reged: 03/15/10
condon broke... what are the risk?
      #249873 - 03/24/10 07:15 PM

I am HIV+ , my boyfriend is HIV(-) We use protection all the time, couple of weeks ago the condon broke while I was being the top and we did not realized until it was to late (we already finish the climax)
I have been undetectable with CD4 on the 600 for at least 2 years. what is the risk that I had infected him? How long should we wait for him to get tested and be sure? Can I infect someone if I am undetectable and healthy?

Thanks for advice.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lovinglife101

Reged: 11/24/09
Re: condon broke... what are the risk? new
      #249904 - 03/28/10 08:20 PM

I am not a doctor; I can only talk from my experience. I have been positive since 1985. I have dated a handful of men over the years, all of them negative when I met them and thank god, all of them are still negative. The risk of transmitting HIV from a female to a male is quite low but there is ALWAYS a risk. There are too many variable in place to ever know the true risk. I have been with my fiancé now for 5 1/2 years, and sometimes we don't play safe. I DO NOT advocate not playing safe. Using protection is the best way to decrease the risk. My fiancé was just tested in November and he is negative. My advice on being tested would be to do so now then again in six months, and then six months from then. It can take six months after infection before the anti-bodies will show up on a test. I wish you both the best!

Johhnn

Reged: 02/23/10
      #249945 - 04/02/10 06:15 PM

Hi.

The fact you have undetectable VL is a factor which makes risk of hiv-transmission much and much lower :-) However,... it is not the only factor in the play...
Other factors are: is there - yes or no - a STD present in your uro-genetical traject? If yes, VL of cum and precum will be most likely much higher as undetactable which means a higher risk of transmission(!)
Also... strain of hiv, duration of period of broken condom during the sex,
friction, genetical set-up of bottom partner, general health constitution of bottom partner among other factors... play a role.
SUMMARY: It is NOT possible to tell you how big or small the risk is.
We CAN say the fact you used a comdom - however with failure - is still better as not using a condom at all. ALSO the fact you are undetactable makes it more hopefull transmission did not happen.
Remember: the only rockhard conclusion can give you hiv- antibody test 12 weeks (or longer) after the day of risk.

grtz, John from the Netherlands.

OobiemoObie
Regular

Reged: 10/21/09
Loc: Hawaii
      #249952 - 04/05/10 07:40 AM

The risk is minimal. I've had unsafe sex with my boyfriend more times than I'd like to admit and I've also been undetectable, and so has he. He gets tested every 6 months and so far so good. I wouldn't worry, unfortunately condoms do break, it happens...

--------------------
-OobiemoObie

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5762

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3