Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Chloe1023

Reged: 03/03/10
He Has HIV, She Doesn't--And They're in Love
      #249623 - 03/03/10 09:18 PM

agine falling in love with a guy who is absolutely perfect. Then you find out that he's HIV positive. What would you do? Here's a story about a couple that's making it work ...

A young married couple, Gwenn Barringer and Shawn Decker, recently shared their touching and unusual love story on POZspaces.com. It reminded me of a friend of mine who I used to work with years ago who married an HIV-positive man, even though everyone in her life told her that she was crazy. Sadly, he died of the disease, but she doesn't regret loving him or marrying him.

Similarly, Gwenn and Shawn say they don't want HIV to mess with their love. Shawn, who contracted the virus from a blood transfusion as a child, is in good health, and doctors say that he has a good life expectancy ahead.

Yet, Gwenn admits that when she first met Shawn, she did have apprehensions, especially when she started to develop feelings for him: "I didn't think having what I thought was a difficult extra strain on a relationship would be worth it," she said. "Then you meet someone who you really like, and that changes your perspective. I would've never imagined it."

Married for five years, they are a "serodiscordant couple," which means one partner has the virus and the other does not.

"What we're seeing is it's no longer a terminal illness. People survive well with HIV," said Dr. Mark Sauer, director of the Center for Women's Reproductive Care at Columbia University Medical Center, in the POZspaces.com story. "There's a lot of discordancy. The majority of patients we've treated are males with HIV with partners who are HIV negative and want to stay that way."

So, how do they have sex? They use condoms, of course.

Dr. Charles Hicks, an associate professor of medicine in infectious diseases at Duke University Medical Center in Durham, North Carolina says that condom use for these types of couples is essential, but told CNN that there are many such couples who don't bother. Shockingly, he says there's evidence showing that "lowering the viral load through HIV treatments and drugs could decrease risk. But this does not give HIV-couples 'free reign to behave irresponsibly.'"

What do you think you'd do in a situation like this?

PS: Pozspaces.com is a singles dating site for individuals who may be HIV positive or have AIDS. We understand that living with this virus/disease can be difficult when it comes to dating. We want to provide the opportunity for those living with the virus or disease to meet others in an environment where sharing this information is acceptable and comforting

--------------------
http://www.PozSpaces.comm The Largest Hiv Posive Dating Site.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: He Has HIV, She Doesn't--And They're in Love new
      #249625 - 03/03/10 10:19 PM

What's wrong, Poz magazine losing it's draw. Why else does Poz need to create a new account here on The Body in order to push their site with a story about one of their employees. Guess PS sold out at a good time. LOL.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1977

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3