Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
BrokenWingedBird
Expert

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
Excellent article on HIV & aging, "New York" mag.
      #248272 - 11/03/09 05:31 PM

"Another Kind of AIDS Crisis"

A striking number of HIV patients are living longer but getting older faster—showing early signs of dementia and bone weakness usually seen in the elderly.

http://nymag.com/health/features/61740/

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: Excellent article on HIV & aging, "New York" mag. new
      #248391 - 11/12/09 07:33 AM

I read that article,kind of scary.It's good to know what to look out for though.The best we can do is take care of ourselves,keep as healthy as possible,diet,exercise the whole bit and hope for the best.At least the scientists and Dr are looking into this and not just ignoring us.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #248403 - 11/13/09 11:04 AM

Dear Bird and Old,

Yes this article is scary, but it reminds us that HIV/AIDS is not the chronic, manageable disease akin to diabetes that most people and many in the medical profession believe it is. We who have had the virus for fifteen years or more, are at greater risk of cancer, heart disease, osteoporosis and dementia than the normal population. We oldtimers must demand that doctors educate themselves on HIV and Ageing.

It took me two years of going from doctor to doctor to finally get an answer to why my body was freezing up and I was losing my memory and ability to concentrate. The answer was even confusing, some doctors said I had Minor Motor Cognitive Disorder (MMCD), some said early stages of AIDS dementia, some said HIV Associated Neuroligical Disorder (HAND), some said I needed to see a psychiatrist as my complaints were psychosomatic (a term which my psychiatrist tells me is no longer widely used as it has been discredited as a condition).

My dementia has progressed to the point that I cannot handle being in new surroundings or around new people without my body freezing up. This has made going to the opera, a terrifying ordeal Fortunately, I have a power wheelchair and the LA transit system handicapped van picks me up to go the opera. Even so, once at the opera, I am drenched with sweat caused by anxiety.

My doctor has prescribed Lexapro to help with the anxiety, which he tells me is a hallmark of demetia. He has cautioned me that I should avoid travel, which has sent me into a funk as I love travel and could happily live out of my suitcase for the rest of my life.

Reading and writing are among the last functions to go with AIDS dementia, so I should be able to write a coherent note for two or three more years. I am determined to lead a quickened life for as long a I am able.

Much love, friends,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Edited by ScotCharles (01/25/10 11:23 PM)

TonyF
Regular

Reged: 02/13/09
      #248802 - 12/16/09 08:07 PM

the article clearly takes the position that dementia is caused, not by hiv, but by stress, depression, and drug vices that result from being diagnosed poz.

the bone marrow, heart disease, and liver disease the result of the meds.

Thank you for posting that article.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #248808 - 12/17/09 07:54 AM

You, my dear friend, are in deep denial as to the impact on the brain and the body of long term HIV infection. You need to read the article more closely before you make your rash and dangerous conclusions.

My neurologist at UCLA, Dr. Elyse Singer, who has studied the neurological implications of HIV infection for two decades, states, without equivoaction, that HIV is neurotoxic and damages brain and nerve tissue. Even at undetectable levels, which means only that less than 50 HIV particles per ml of blood are found at testing, the virus destroys nerve tissue. Year on year, the virus does its insidious work.

This, my friends, is the new HIV plague.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

TonyF
Regular

Reged: 02/13/09
      #248813 - 12/17/09 08:50 PM

The article is citing brain inflammation as the culprit, not hiv. So it sounds like the doc in the article and your doc should have a discussion.

How on earth is your doc 'unevivocally' claiming hiv is the culprit when he can't even detect that hiv is present there?!?!?

I thought hiv was dangerous because it attacks tcells. Now, you're telling me it destroys nerve tissue?! How? Was it also riding atop the magic bullet that killed Kennedy?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3808

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3