HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Mondo
Regular

Reged: 04/26/09
Loc: Australia
New Hope for HIV Eradication
      #246212 - 06/17/09 11:45 PM

I'm sure most of the forum members have seen the latest good news story doing the rounds. I feel quite hopeful that this might be the big news story developing.
We have to have hope even if itís slim hope. Iíve enclosed a brief on the story if you havenít caught up with it yet.

Good health to all

Mondo

Researchers may finally be on track to get at the HIV that hides inside cells and keeps the infection going; if so, they could perhaps eradicate the virus from the body entirely, according to an article published in the July issue of Retrovirology. The latest research expands on the mixed results of earlier studies of valproic acid (Depakote), an epilepsy treatment that demonstrated potential as a method of purging HIV from its cellular hiding places.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
coconyc
Unregistered

Re: New Hope for HIV Eradication *DELETED* new
      #246228 - 06/19/09 01:33 PM

Post deleted by bartleby

Mondo
Regular

Re: New Hope for HIV Eradication new
      #246247 - 06/21/09 10:18 PM

The article can be found on a number of sites including the Body but I think the best report is here. http://www.aidsmeds.com/articles/hiv_eradication_entinostat_1667_16750.shtml

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #246255 - 06/22/09 12:42 PM

I take Depakote for bi-polar disease. The downside to Depakote expressing HIV from the cells is the increased possibility that the expressed cells have mutated while hiding in the various cells in the body in which it hides including cell bodies that are brain and nervous system specific.

I think if you look further into valproic acid that you will find that many doctors and researchers are suspicious of that med's efficacy in fighting HIV.

As for me, my viral load is no longer completely undetectable as a result of my taking Depakote and hovers at 72 which is slighly above the 48 which is considered the threshold of undetectable.

Eradication of HIV from the body is decades away by most estimates. Not good news for us long term survivors who are experiencing mild to severe memory loss and cognitive slowing as the result of decades of infection.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Mondo
Regular

#246260 - 06/22/09 10:07 PM

Here is another bit of hope. I saw this this morning on this site http://www.thebody.com/content/art52325.html

At least there is something going on out there in research land...

optimistic2009

Reged: 07/28/09
      #246768 - 07/29/09 05:14 PM

I have been recently diagnosed; have been looking for answers like a mad man but also hopin there is a cure one day. I have been reading about all these new discoveries but why the doctors never admit? they just say this is the best for now--???

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3969

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3