HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
logopolis

Reged: 05/23/09
Loc: UK
Travelling with HIV
      #245967 - 06/05/09 06:16 PM

HI Guys,

Maybe not in the right forum to ask this question but here goes.

My partner and i are going on a cruise in August, both HIV+, and when looking to get the normal travel insurance began to think the 'standard' policy will be no good.

My partner was diagnosed in Feb after becoming really ill with PCP and i alos tested positive but currently not on meds.

My question is can anyone recommend a travel insurance company to cover an 'existing condition' as they seem to name on policies? Also worry about how they store our personal information and that its not shared with 3rd parties.

Thanks for reading this and look forward to any suggestions you may have.

Thks!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert1
All Star

Reged: 05/29/07
Re: Travelling with HIV new
      #245988 - 06/08/09 05:42 PM

First all, I think a standard policy would be fine. As long your CD4 count is relatively healthy and your viral load is relatively low, you should be fine. Look over the policy carefully to see if there is anything there about a preexisting illness. So many people---all of the cruises in the world are filled with people over 60 with a million pre-existing conditions....so you're not alone. Also depending on where you go, you may be able to access health care for free. in many european countries they don't charge or they have a cap. I was charged $40 to see a doctor in Amsterdam and she gave me medicines .... All Western european countries have free HIV care.

But if your CD4 count is under 350, then you are taking a chance not being on treatment...just thought I'd mention this

SA_Intellect
Guru

Reged: 03/27/06
Loc: San Antonio, Texas
      #246152 - 06/16/09 04:05 PM

If you're going travelling for a short period of time. What's the point of travel insurance? It's unlikely anything is going to happen to you.

Angel_Ronnie
Guru

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Gauteng, South Africa
      #246158 - 06/17/09 03:20 AM

visit the following website
www.plwha.org
they focus on travelling for people with hiv/aids and they have maps with all good info regarding restrictions.

--------------------
"Live for today, because what you do today is what you use to make your future"

Angel_Ronnie
Guru

Reged: 06/01/06
Loc: Gauteng, South Africa
      #246159 - 06/17/09 03:38 AM

Travel insurance
Welcome!

Hello – my name is Kevin Waite and It’s So Easy Travel Insurance is my company. When you make an enquiry or book on the phone, it’s more than likely it will be me, personally, you speak to. I have worked in the HIV field for over 20 years. Starting as a volunteer when London Lighthouse was a building site (then to become Europe’s largest HIV/AIDS centre), I went on to establish the Welfare Service. It’s So Easy Travel Insurance is not owned by any other insurance company. You can therefore be sure that your confidential information is not going to be passed around within a group of insurers and potentially damage your prospects of obtaining other types of insurance. Many hospitals, clinics and other HIV charities recommend the It’s So Easy Travel Insurance policy. For a quote, just call +44845 222 2226 or click the online quote and book link . Even if you’re travelling only twice in the next 12 months, it could work out more economical for you to obtain our annual, multi-trip policy. You will have my personal attention and if you have any questions, just ask – that’s why I’m here.
Be properly protected !

Being HIV+, it really isn’t worth the risk of traveling without travel insurance that will cover you for anything HIV related.

If you take out ‘ordinary’ travel insurance and make a medical expenses claim, the insurer will, as matter of course, check if you have any pre-existing medical condition. This is when your HIV status would come to light, which would be regarded as a pre-existing condition.

The insurers could void the entire policy or refuse to meet your claim. Even if your illness was not HIV-related, they could decide that, in their view it might be and refuse to pay out.

Medical expenses can run into many thousands of pounds – especially if you need to be air-ambulanced to a hospital or repatriated.

Is the possibility of ending up with a serious debt worth it for the sake of being properly and adequately insured?

Key Features of our policy:
Up to £5 millon for medical expenses (including HIV related medical conditions)
Repatriation to the EU (if necessary by air ambulance and with a nurse or doctor in attendance)
Additional hospital benefits
Up to £3,000 for cancellation or curtailment
Up to £1,500 for loss of baggage or personal items
Cover for delayed or missed departure
Cover for loss of your passport
Scuba diving to 30m and cover for equipment automatically included
Many other activites automatically included
Option to include other, higher risk activities
Option to include winter sports
Up to £2 million for personal liability
NEW! (see Details of Cover)

If your medication is lost or stolen, we will pay for a repeat prescription of medication to be couriered to you within 24 hours (costs met up to £250)
Single item limit cover increased to £250
Optional extra to extend cover for higher value electronic and computer equipment to £400
The age limit for annual, multi-trip policies has been increased to 69
Most prices have been frozen for a second year running
Some prices have been reduced

MORE DETAILS ON www.PLWHA.ORG

--------------------
"Live for today, because what you do today is what you use to make your future"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3017

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3