HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Mondo
Regular

Reged: 04/26/09
Loc: Australia
Hi I'm new
      #245546 - 04/26/09 11:03 PM

Hi to all I would like to introduce myself. I am a 55 year old Male living in Australia. I was diagnosed early 2008 which makes me a relatively new addition to the HIV family.
I am currently not working and have not since my diagnosis. I would like to support others where I can and also seek support.
This is the first time I have joined or reached out to a HIV forum, so please be patient with me as I am not confident in speaking about HIV yet. (I?m still pretty screwed up about the whole thing) I am currently undectable and I?m taking Reyataz [atazanavir], Norvir [ritonavir] and Kivexa [abacavir/3TC, Epzicom].

Cheers
Mondo

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: Hi I'm new new
      #245551 - 04/27/09 12:10 PM

Hi and welcome,good for you for reaching out for support.I came here a few years ago and have found much support and friendship.Yeah finding out can screw you up for a while.just give yourself time to adjust and learn all you can.You can and will get more confident talking about it.
Take care
Terry

bnagayguy
Regular

Reged: 01/29/09
      #245559 - 04/28/09 12:17 AM

Anyone newly or recently diagnosed needs to know you will not die within the next 2 years, as was the case early at the onset of HIV/AIDS!! The latest information is that those living with HIV are dying because of other physical ailments - diabetes, heart disease - not AIDS.

Being adherent to your medication regimen is a must for long-term good health. Proper nutrition is a key factor to living successfully with HIV, too. Be sure you get good physical exercise - weight training, yoga, cardiovascular, swimming, biking, hiking (instead of HIV/AIDS) - are all good ways to occupy your time and do something good for yourself. Physical exercise helps create endorphines in the brain; they help maintain a positive mental state and outlook. Whatever you do, takes steps to minimize or better yet, eliminate, alcohol and any recreational drug use, if you partake. Doing so allows your body and mind to function in a less stressed manner. And, give up smoking if you do, in fact, smoke. If you can't breathe, you don't, and won't, live. There are lots of good ways to learn how to kick the bad habit; check with your medical treatment provider for assistance.

Keep in mind that having HIV/AIDS is not just a physical thing; it also impacts the mental side of life. So, if you need some assistance in learning how to live with HIV/AIDS, don't be afraid to find a professional who can help you work through some of the issues. No one can (or should) deal with HIV/AIDS on their own. There are resources - people - who can, and want, to help. It's up to you to identify those resources where you are and take the necessary steps to get the help you may need. (This was one of the hardest things I ever had to do.) The more you do it, the easier it gets - less fear; less anxiety and less stress - every time you get the help you need.

Be sure to find things that interest you (other than HIV/AIDS) about which you are passionate and begin to focus on some of them; passion can help to create great joy and contentment.

Two books I would recommend are: Built to Survive, by Nelson Vergel and Michael Mooney; and, You Can Heal Your Life by Louise Hay. (I have read and re-read this book several times since I was diagnosed in 1988.) The first is a great resource on living successfully with HIV/AIDS. The second is one that provides an alternative outlook on life, which is quite useful to anyone who lives with HIV/AIDS, or any other long-term illness or disease; or anyone who is without illness, too. Louise Hay has done a tremendous amount of work with those affected by HIV/AIDS.

Know that you can still have a full and productive life. Do whatever it is you choose to do!! Having HIV does not mean you need (or can) stop living. Having HIV just means you get a little smarter about how you do whatever you choose to do.

If you would like to hit me back, feel free to do so. I wish you all the best on your amazing journey!!

BrokenWingedBird
Expert

Reged: 11/30/04
Loc: United Kingdom.
      #245564 - 04/28/09 04:24 AM

Hi Mondo.

I'm the same age as you and I know your part of the world well, although I am now in the UK.

I was diagnosed in 2000. One of the first things I did was go out and buy two pairs of pyjamas because I was sure I would be hospitalised within a year or two and that an awful slow death was certain. At our age it is difficult not to think this because you and I have been around when unchecked death was the usual outcome of having HIV.

I started meds in 2004 and I did not really believe they would work! My doctor told me they would, I didn't really believe him, but they have. So, now, NINE years after being diagnosed I am still here, fit, normal-looking, no hospitalization has occurred. My only constant problems now are diarrhoea, some frightening dreams every so often, and awareness that my system and my life has been hi-jacked by the virus.

I have to tell you that I have achieved a great deal in the last nine years. I have turned some of my dreams into realities. When you know that your time MAY be short, you can suddenly get off your arse and start doing things that before you may have been postponing.

On the meds front, I would advise that if you take Efavirenz then observe its effects on your nervous sytem. If it, and any drug, has serious side-effects then create stink and make your doctor put you on another combination.

The last thing I would say is you must now put a lot of effort into avoiding any situation where you might just possibly get super-infected., i.e. get infected by a different strain of HIV virus. If a different strain gets into your already-weakened system, then the power of the meds can be lessened, and then you are in much worse trouble. So you may have to massively alter your life-style or your behaviour.

Focus now on the dreams you have always had and which you have yet to make true. Select those which you CAN do something about in spite of your HIV status . . . and go out there now and make them come true!

Good luck.

B.

--------------------
Without a dream, life is a broken-winged bird that cannot fly. Keep hold of your dreams.

Alexandrite

Reged: 04/14/09
      #245572 - 04/28/09 12:06 PM

Hi...I agree for the most part with bnagayguy. HIV/AIDS does not mean a death sentence UNLESS you choose to not stick to regimen and take care of yourself. No matter what condition you have, you have to take care of yourself to maintain a helathy life. You have to lead a full life and if your diagnosis is not getting in the way of that - don't make it an excuse. I don't mean to sound rude but I work full time, raise a child, go to the gym and try to be very active. Don't let HIV/AIDS stop you. - Hugs and the best to you! :-)

Uptown

Reged: 04/20/09
      #245586 - 04/28/09 09:21 PM

I'm new as well. But the one thing I want to add is that I've been going strong for the last nine years. I excercise, try to eat right and stay positive (no pun intended) ;-)

You still have a lot of living to do!

Be Blessed.

WayneD

Reged: 04/19/08
      #245611 - 04/30/09 02:55 AM

Welcone to the Body. You can still live a long and happy productive life with HIV. I've been poz for 25 years and while it hasn't been easy I'm still here. Use the forums for support if you need it and you will find a great deal of information available on this site.

I hope you have a good HIV doctor that you can discuss any issues with and don't be afraid to challenge the status quo if you feel your meds aren't working well enough.

Be careful who you disclose your status to. You have to with sexual partners but with other people - HIV doesn't discriminate but people do. I wish you a long and happy life.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4634

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3