Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
TheBoyWhoLived

Reged: 03/13/09
Loc: Virginia, USA
Disclosed to Family.
      #244977 - 03/13/09 10:09 PM

I have been positive for 5 years and this past weekend I finally disclosed my status to my family. I struggled so long with how to tell them or if I even should tell them. I tried to forget I had HIV by not talking about it or even thinking about it. This was negatively affecting my physical and emotional health. I decided I needed to seek support from the people I love. I almost expected anger and blaming but got just the opposite. My parents offered support and love and understanding. It has been liberating and refreshing after years of silence and secrecy.
I am certainly not advocating for people to start telling everybody in their life that they have HIV. I just feel the need to share my story. I haven't felt this optimistic and... complete in a long time.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
hopefulone
Master

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: NY, NY
Re: Disclosed to Family. new
      #244979 - 03/13/09 10:45 PM

thank you for sharing this, it is truly appreciated

stillpoz07

Reged: 06/11/07
      #244993 - 03/17/09 01:22 AM

Always remember that having HIV does not define who you are...Its just what you have!!!

Margaret
Regular

Reged: 03/15/07
      #244994 - 03/17/09 02:31 AM

Im so glad you told to keep this a secret from the people who love you most I know is beyond words and the feeling of release. Most parents sibling dont give a monkeys they just want the child back cos you bet your bottom dollar know matter how clever you were they or should I say MUM if you have one will have KNOWN something was wrong what?
They too will feel like you relief to know your OK and to be able to GET INSIDE again cos I bet you got really PRIVATE?
Just enjoy the release be honest upfrint with your family and dont worry about other people its your buisness But the family is yours and they had to know for you to be able to heal yes heal AND no Im not stupid but the less stress worry your body has to cope with the better the pills will work
The better you will work and if you get depressed go to the GPs the antidepressants now adays are wonderful
Theres no reason on Gods earth now why you cant have a wonderful long happy healthy life fillled with the love of your family the pals who do know and maybe a future GIRL/BOY
Sorry you didnt say so why should I presume?
So go have a great life keep fit well healthy and happy
Margaret

Margaret
Regular

Reged: 03/15/07
      #244995 - 03/17/09 02:34 AM

How right you are like diabet or Cancer its just a illness that you have that with pills and good general health management
You should go forth and live love and be bloody happy
Margaret

Kaitee

Reged: 03/12/09
Loc: South Bay Area California
      #245002 - 03/18/09 03:36 AM

Congratulations! I am sure you feel fantastic! Hold onto that feeling and open your arms wide to receive all that love coming your way! Once again congrats!

~ Kaitee

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #245004 - 03/18/09 08:49 AM

It is a hard thing that any of us can do, by trusting someone, especially family with this secret. My family knows, I am lucky that I have only had to deal with a few ignorant folks, all and all they have been supportive for the most part. Things happen we can not control, but the good thing is that you told them and now you can move on. I am so very happy for you. D

relius78

Reged: 03/19/09
      #245013 - 03/19/09 04:01 AM

I want to say congratulations to you for being able to get that off your chest with your family and how well it went for you! I am in almost the same position you were. I have been pos for about 5 years now and still haven't told my family. It's not been that hard since I'm living in a different country and we don't have day to day interaction, but I'm moving back and this is starting to be on my mind that I'm going to have to tell them sooner or later. Thanks for the hopeful story!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4140

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3