Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
pozboy2009

Reged: 01/27/09
Newly Infected and Got Numbers---COnfused?
      #244213 - 01/28/09 03:34 PM

So i finally have all my numbers and granted i have an appointment on friday morning to explain all this to me but wouldn't mind some knowledge beforehand. I dont even know what numbers are important (well i do but i can't tell which ones they are from the report). absolute lymphocytes is 3856 my cd4% is 31% and my cd4 absolute is 1211. IO also have an RNA number for the HIV-1 is is about 7000

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sick_of_fuckwits
Master

Reged: 01/26/09
Re: Newly Infected and Got Numbers---COnfused? new
      #244214 - 01/28/09 03:42 PM

All-in-all, those numbers say that you are in fine fighting fettle, have an immune system that anyone would be proud of, a relatively low amount of HIV circulating in your blood and - baring any unexpected illnesses - probably wont need medications for a good many years yet

Edited to add the response I gave you to the similar question you posted in the other forum.

Lymphocytes are a type of white blood cell that help the body fight infection.

CD4 cells are just one type of lymphocyte cell which form an essential part of your immune system. They are responsible for activating and directing your immune response to certain infections - and are also the cells which HIV hijacks and destroys.

A normal CD4 cell count in the blood of a healthy man without HIV infection will be in the range of approximately 400 to 1200 cells/mm3, and 500 to 1600 cells/mm3 in women - so, with a higher number being better, your results are indicating that your immune function is as near as damn it intact at this moment in time. In most western countries, 350 is when you start thinking about treatment - and in the USA you are considered to have AIDS when it drops to 200 (most other countries now define AIDS on the basis of symptoms only .. if indeed they even use the term for diagnostic purposes, because it is widely thought of as being an unnecessarily stigmatising label).

CD4% tells us what percentage percentage of your lymphocytes are CD4 cells. In a healthy adult that percentage should be around 40%; but when you have a viral infection that percentage drops as your body concentrates on producing more of the lymphocytes (CD8 cells) which are responsible for actually fighting the infection. Your 31.4% indicates that you have a lower percentage of CD4 cells because your immune system is busy producing the other lymphocyte which are doing its best to suppress the HIV virus in your blood. 31.4% is plenty - it is only when you start getting below 20% that your immune system is really being hammed (and down to 14% is pretty much when you are starting to think about AIDS).

The HIV RNA is a measure of your viral load, or how much virus is circulating in your blood. The lower the number the better. 7000 is very good when you consider that it can easily be in the hundreds of thousands and even millions in advanced HIV infection.

--------------------
There's probably no God. Now stop worrying and enjoy your life.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2116

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3