HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
hopefulone
Master

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: NY, NY
and the band played on
      #243899 - 01/15/09 10:02 PM

i started reading and the band played on...i am 30 and i had viewed the movie many years ago....i cannot put the book down it is amazing.

we are all so fortunate that we were not infected in those early days. it is so sad to think about what everyone lived through. i wish i had this book prior....halfway through at this point. a wonderful look at the early days...

anyone have any other recommendations for reading?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: and the band played on new
      #243906 - 01/16/09 07:02 AM

I just finished "Young,Beautiful and HIV Positive" by Marvellyn Brown.It was a true story about a young girl who becomes pos and how she turned her life around.It was very interesting,as a matter of fact I read the whole thing in one sitting.Just kept saying,"one more chapter and I'll stop."

DOFORYOU

Reged: 01/19/09
Loc: Knysna South Africa
      #243939 - 01/19/09 07:01 AM

Hi,

There is reading and then there is reading. I would like to point you to some reading that will change your life for the better. But I will only do so if you invite the suggestions.

kind regards

Pete

--------------------
A Life of Abundance in every possible way

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #243946 - 01/19/09 11:03 AM

Brad Davis was one of my favorite actors ( and he died of AIDS). Rock Hudson was more well known as an actor who died of AIDS but Brad Davis was young. And in that I think its always more heart wrenching when someone is cut off in their prime.
His widow wrote a book: AFTER MIDNIGHT the life and death of Brad Davis by Susasn Blustein Davis
Its not a great book but it sure is a sad story.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #243977 - 01/20/09 08:52 AM

I am so pleased that one person at least is learning about those awful first ten years. I was diagnosed with HIV in September 1984 in Atlanta by the CDC after I gave blood in a Red Cross blood drive. When I went to my doctor to have the diagnosis confirmed he told me after giving me the lab results that yes I had HIV and that I should get my affairs in order.

The sheer hopelessness was awful. People glommed onto all sorts of things, Louise Hay's psychic healing, herbs, A Course in Miracles, the list went on and on.

Then came Protease Inhibitors and life changed dramatically. Those with HIV had to relearn how to live with a future. Many unfortunately never made the transition. Years of hopelessness had translated into alcoholism and drug addiction, and ultimately an early death.

The challenges of AIDS continues for those of who survived those horrible years in the 80's and 90's as now we are faced with the early onset in our 50's of the diseases of aging such as dementia, osteoporosis, and arthritis caused by the ravages of HIV on our bodies.

For me what has worked is to live in the moment while planning for the future. As an example, I enjoy my southern California garden this morning as the sweetpeas clamber up their supports, I look forward to their blooming at Valentine's Day, and I am planning how to trim my Pink Eucalyptus at President's Day weekend in February. I feel grounded and balanced all at once. This is not to say I don't get depressed, I do. But I know my depression for what it is as the effect of HIV on my brain and I know to take a pill and do some deep breathing. Soon afterwards I am fine.

As for additional materials on the Awful Decade, I would try to find a book of short stories, called "Dancing on the Moon" and the film "Long Time Companion".

Good show you for getting through "And the Band Played On".

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

hopefulone
Master

Reged: 12/05/08
Loc: NY, NY
      #243994 - 01/20/09 08:56 PM

thanks for the recommendations and thanks for sharing your life.

i will take you up on your recommendations.

JumptheHorizon

Reged: 07/25/07
      #244559 - 02/15/09 07:53 PM

I thought this was an amazing book in many ways.
It is written very well, and for a large book, is very readable.
He was right at the epicentre of AIDS, Castro in San Francisco - He could see its effects directly and was close to the earliest attempts to mobilise and fight the disease.
His newspaper allowed him to investigate & report on the new mysterious illness, that was being largely ignored by virtually every other newspaper..
The book contains interesting things about how the public reacted the new illness, individual's stories and various other angles that you won't find anywhere else.
Anybody who hasn't read it absolutely should.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3606

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3