HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
August69
All Star

Reged: 03/22/08
Happy News..forget it, why bother.. *DELETED*
      #242067 - 09/16/08 03:44 AM

Post deleted by westernbear69

Edited by westernbear69 (09/19/08 03:26 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
Re: Happy News.. new
      #242074 - 09/16/08 12:21 PM

Congratulations! Keep doing what your doing and get them even higher!

vasco
Regular

Reged: 02/22/08
Re: Happy News.. *DELETED* new
      #242079 - 09/16/08 01:03 PM

Post deleted by vasco

cunta_stalwart
Grand Master

Reged: 06/27/08
      #242094 - 09/16/08 09:10 PM

That is great news, I'm sure you are very happy

I started Atripla in June 08 and my cd4 is up to 300 from 170 with 33% and VL at 50, so maybe I can keep on rising and drropping the right way, seems to be a good combination

--------------------
How Many Roads Must A Man Walk Down Before He Admits Hes lost

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #242103 - 09/17/08 10:43 AM

Hate to be a wet rag, but low viral load and a high CD4 does not mean you are cured. A guy in my Old Geezers with AIDS group, has the same CD4 and viral load as you and he has major depression, liver problems, nerve damage (trouble walking and balancing).

The difference between you and him is that guy has AIDS. He was hospitalized with severe MAC and PCP two years ago. As a result he was diagnosed with full blown AIDS.

The very best thing you can do is to maximize the time between infection and the onset of full blown AIDS. You do that by adherence to your medications.

Still, the decades will pass, your liver with become toxic, your brain will accumulate years of damage from the effects of the virus hiding out there protected by the blood brain barrier.

What to do with such a bleak prospect? Learn to live for today and plan for tomorrow. Now is the time while you are healthy to get you house in order so that when the time comes you are taken care of in your disability. Save for retirement. Get a good job with benefits upon disability retirement. Find work that stirs the passion in your soul so that work is almost a form of prayerful devotion.

That in brief is the sort of aware acceptance that I have found works for me as I have struggled for going on 25 years with HIV.

We are all different and my solution will not work for everyone.

Peace and Love.

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

cunta_stalwart
Grand Master

#242109 - 09/17/08 07:10 PM

hate to be a wet rag but the next time you cross a road remember getting hit by a car will do a lot of damage maybe kill you but don't dwell on it, and if you survive that - jump on a plane and hope it doesn't crash but don't dwell on it, and if you survive that then get HIV and hope it turns out better than you have described, either way don't dwell on it

my advice - cross a road to get to the other side, get on a plane and go somewhere nice, get HIV and try and look on the bright side, you never know what is round the corner, there is nothing certain and life is full of risks every step of the way.

Maybe your geeezzer would have been in a bad way with or without HIV - who knows

now you are going to reply to me in a fashion that will probably involve some sort of insult or profanity, just before you do, what exactly (in about 20 words) was the point you where making, we are told by the powers that be that CD4 % and VL are all indicators of how well we are doing with HIV and the treatments and the OP was expressing that, you seemed to be saying not to get too upbeat because A B C and D is going to happen no matter what. Now for gods sake the OP was delighted and so was I and so was his medical expert that he was doing well on what little hope we have i.e. the treatment and you just seemed to take all that away.

--------------------

August69
All Star

#242111 - 09/18/08 12:58 AM

OhTam
Regular

Reged: 02/03/06
Loc: Ohio
      #242122 - 09/18/08 10:41 PM

I am sorry I agree with SC....numbers are numbers my husbands tcells are the highest they have been in over 3 years yet he is worse than he was when they were lower.....And making it more tolerable is a matter of opinion I guess. I don't know that it ever becomes that once it starts to progress. Just for the record much like the hubby I don't care who on here gets mad about what I say.

--------------------
if it weren't for all the trash in this world we wouldn't need garbage men!

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #242124 - 09/18/08 11:17 PM

August69
All Star

Sorry *DELETED* new
      #242128 - 09/19/08 03:10 AM

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
Re: Sorry new
      #242132 - 09/19/08 08:57 AM

Weasternbear, I am sorry that you are having to deal with this. I am glad that your numbers are decent and it is all relative, but keep in mind this is an open site, where anybody can post. Even those people who have been newly infected and think they know everything when it comes to dealing with HIV, we both know they do not. Hang in there buddy, I am rooting for you, and if I can help please feel free to hit me up. That goes for a lot of people here.

Co, I totally miss you, I hope you do camp out here for a while...
D

Florida69
Legend

#242133 - 09/19/08 09:10 AM

Post deleted by Florida69

cunta_stalwart
Grand Master

#242134 - 09/19/08 10:20 AM

Well my point was the OP was being upbeat and the SC took him down, he basically said number mean nothing, so why are all the measurements being done then ????, say all you want about me - I know where it's coming from from so it don't matter, i.e. a few mentally unbalanced posters here who think they are better than everybody else...............I have a lot of sypmathy for those that are not doing well with this disease but there is no excuse for slighting people who are doing well or think they are and share that with the rest of us, it doesn't mean that in months or years to come we will all suffer a very poor health, I don't see the need to tramp someone down because they are upbeat............................there are indeed some very sick people here.

99 - If you knew how we would reply, why did you go there?

Not the point actually, I'm just getting to know how some people here think - you know the vets who know it all, well they think they do. Oh and the OP never mentioned brain cells, he was sharing how happy he was with his meds and the recent results, someone else decided to remind him it was nothing to be upbeat about - now wtf is that all about ?

Here we go again

Thought we where all going to try and be upbeat ???

--------------------

Florida69
Legend

#242136 - 09/19/08 10:45 AM

Quote:

Well my point was the OP was being upbeat and the SC took him down, he basically said number mean nothing, so why are all the measurements being done then ????, say all you want about me - I know where it's coming from from so it don't matter, i.e. a few mentally unbalanced posters here who think they are better than everybody else...............I have a lot of sypmathy for those that are not doing well with this disease but there is no excuse for slighting people who are doing well or think they are and share that with the rest of us, it doesn't mean that in months or years to come we will all suffer a very poor health, I don't see the need to tramp someone down because they are upbeat............................there are indeed some very sick people here.

99 - If you knew how we would reply, why did you go there?

Not the point actually, I'm just getting to know how some people here think - you know the vets who know it all, well they think they do. Oh and the OP never mentioned brain cells, he was sharing how happy he was with his meds and the recent results, someone else decided to remind him it was nothing to be upbeat about - now wtf is that all about ?

Here we go again

Thought we where all going to try and be upbeat ???

http://www.thebody.com/cgi-bin/bbs/showthreaded.php?Cat=&Board=living&Number=241786&page=1&view=collapsed&sb=5&o=&fpart=1
The reason the numbers are done is so that the doctors can see where you are with the virus. ScottCharles, was honest, sorry life is not always warm beaches. Yes, I know the veterans, because I made it a point to get to know them, they have lived with this disease the longest and would be the ones that I would turn to when I needed help, and THEY have helped me more times than I can count. The veterans know a heck a lot more than you or I in dealing with the effects of this virus. Having HIV is not something to be upbeat about, we are dealing with a detrimental disease, that has killed, HERE ARE SOME NUMBERS TO WRAP YOUR HEAD AROUND:

Global HIV/AIDS estimates, end of 2007
The latest statistics on the world epidemic of AIDS & HIV were published by UNAIDS/WHO in July 2008, and refer to the end of 2007.

Estimate Range
People living with HIV/AIDS in 2007 33.0 million 30.3-36.1 million
Adults living with HIV/AIDS in 2007 30.8 million 28.2-34.0 million
Women living with HIV/AIDS in 2007 15.5 million 14.2-16.9 million
Children living with HIV/AIDS in 2007 2.0 million 1.9-2.3 million
People newly infected with HIV in 2007 2.7 million 2.2-3.2 million
Children newly infected with HIV in 2007 0.37 million 0.33-0.41 million
AIDS deaths in 2007 2.0 million 1.8-2.3 million
Child AIDS deaths in 2007 0.27 million 0.25-0.29 million

More than 25 million people have died of AIDS since 1981.

Africa has 11.6 million AIDS orphans.

At the end of 2007, women accounted for 50% of all adults living with HIV worldwide, and for 59% in sub-Saharan Africa.

Young people (under 25 years old) account for half of all new HIV infections worldwide.

In developing and transitional countries, 9.7 million people are in immediate need of life-saving AIDS drugs; of these, only 2.99 million (31%) are receiving the drugs.

http://www.avert.org/worldstats.htm

D

Edited by Florida69 (09/19/08 11:08 AM)

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
Re: Happy News..
      #242137 - 09/19/08 11:00 AM

Ok I am in awww right now. I so understand where ScottCharlses in coming from in the aspect of the truth and especially for those of us who are living it. On the other hand I do not think that all of these posts are necessary to bring WB down. I know when I get my lab results and seeing how my cd4 has climbed and vl dropped, I am very haopy to see that the medication is doing something.

I have posted many times about this when I would come back from the doctor and hell I was never attacked like this before. I do not think that WB said anything about being cured or that he no longer thought that this disease would affect him in anyway. I think that for him to be happy about the atripla working is a normal feeling.

I know that this an open forum and you will get all types of responses from honest to cheerful to truthful, I guess I though they would come at the right time. I have never had anyone make me feel like this poor person is feeling when I posted my numbers. EVER! And I have posted on several boards.

I think most of the people on this board who are poz know that this is not cureable and that just because their numbers are going in the right direction that they still are not affected, I guess maybe a little support now and then is to hard for some. They should know where it leads, and CO and SC are unfortunatly living proof of this disease progression BUT there still can be a little excitment to see that in is progressing a little slower in some.

Edited by franfrog (09/19/08 11:04 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12928

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3