HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Lovinlife
Fanatic

Reged: 08/29/08
Provocative new advertising campaign in Maryland
      #241871 - 09/05/08 06:44 PM

Hi all-
I was just on my way home from work listening to NPR and caught an interesting segment about a new HIV/AIDS prevention ad campaign being launched in Maryland.
I haven't seen it but it is aimed at grabbing young people's attention and giving them a short shock in hopes of raising awareness and prevention

http://wamu.org/news/08/09/05.php

here's the link if you'd like to read more. (not sure if we are supposed to put links to things on this forum--so hope I'm not doing anything wrong!)

i haven't seen the ads, but it sounds interesting.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: Provocative new advertising campaign in Maryland new
      #241889 - 09/07/08 10:00 PM

it sure does sound interesting,anything that will get people thinking about what they're doing is worth it,

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #241897 - 09/08/08 08:35 AM

Thanks T, this is great, and I agree anything to get people thinking is a wonderful thing. D

Lovinlife
Fanatic

Reged: 08/29/08
      #241941 - 09/09/08 09:19 AM

D-
I'll be interested to see if more states copy the ad campaign. Sadly--i think it takes so much to shock people into awareness. The mainstream media is so graphic already that people are so numb to things.
And...HIV is still such an "others" disease. I get so tired of reading about people newly diagnosed or somebody beautiful with a book deal (there are several) who say, "I never thought I'd get HIV. I thought it was something that other people get....." I always sigh and yawn. I mean, really, is there anybody out there saying, "Oops, i got HIV. Well--i definitely thought i was going to contract it, so...darn...now what do I do?"

I can't believe there still is such a lack of awareness that anybody is at risk for contracting HIV/AIDS.

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #241944 - 09/09/08 11:59 AM

Quote:

D-
somebody beautiful with a book deal (there are several) who say, "I never thought I'd get HIV. I thought it was something that other people get....." I always sigh and yawn. I mean, really, is there anybody out there saying, "Oops, i got HIV. Well--i definitely thought i was going to contract it, so...darn...now what do I do?"

I can't believe there still is such a lack of awareness that anybody is at risk for contracting HIV/AIDS.

T you totally crack me up, the lack of awareness is indeed astounding. In fact we have folks on this very board who live in America, but in an isolated area and yet they never thought it would happen to them. Education is indeed key. It is amazing that we have to shock people in order to get them to listen. I never really gave much thought that Pavlov's theories work so well on human beings, I thought that was mostly for animals to get their attention. Media tend to focus on what really will get peoples attention, and it is all about selling publications. HIV at this point is known and known by our culture, yet people continue to practice unsafe sex. In a recent gay forum I noticed that guys are still advertising bare backing, is that just wack?

I have been trying to get my feet wet as an author, little did I know I could start out with I have HIV. At this point I am trying to force myself to start writing again, I have never tried to write anything substantial, so this is my first experience. With all that said, I do not want HIV to define me, there are so many other things that do, my southern upbringing for example. I am confident that once I am seasoned that HIV will be part of my biography, but that will hopefully be in 30 years. The lack of awareness in this country alone is amazing, I think that it keeps getting pushed to the back burner in political forums that no one really wants to deal with, almost like the don't ask don't tell of the Clinton era.

Take care, D

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3097

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3