Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
deutschman

Reged: 04/28/08
Loc: Oregon
Looking for experiences from HIV + travel to EU
      #238838 - 04/29/08 12:13 AM

First, thanks for looking at this post (and hopefully responding). I have known that I am HIV + for about 2 years and am finally feeling healthy again (CD 4 count is almost to 400). I'm regularly taking Atripla. Here's my concern. I would like to take my 84 year-old mother (who is very active) back to Germany and hopefully to her birthplace in Poland. I'm a newby to foreign travel as we only went once before to Germany, before I knew I was positive. I hopefully will never have to reveal this secret to Mom, and am worried about what I would be facing at customs when I travel. (Staying only about 2 weeks and would be flying into Germany). If I have my Atripla in scrip bottles with my name, am I going to be hassled at all at customs? I don't want to attempt this and end up revealing my status to my mom at customs. (Thank you to all those that feel I should tell mom, but it ain't gonna happen. She's getting up there and knowing would put more than a few nails in her coffin so to speak). Any thoughts, experiences, suggestions out there? I've started picking through the government travel sights, etc but would like to here some real-life feedback.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Looking for experiences from HIV + travel to EU new
      #238859 - 04/29/08 03:25 PM

Assuming you are an American citizen, you should have no trouble travelling to the EU with HIV meds at all. Non-Americans entering the US can be stopped upon entering the US if they are found to be HIV positive; however, the EU is much more enlightened as this than the US.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Robert1
All Star

Reged: 05/29/07
Re: Looking for experiences from HIV + travel to EU new
      #238954 - 05/02/08 09:00 AM

It would be very unusual for anyone to look through your bags going to Germany and I don't believe they have laws restricting people with HIV from entering the country. Then when you come back to the U.S. there would be no problem even if they searched your bags. American residents --even those with HIV -- can travel with their meds.
check this http://www.thebody.com/content/treat/art2244.html

I wouldn't worry. I've been back and forth to Europe more than 10 times in last few years and no one ever stopped me or asked about HIV.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3604

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3