HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
pozartistsd
Regular

Reged: 01/04/08
Loc: San Diego, CA
a tenacious cold?
      #238644 - 04/20/08 06:38 PM

Hi all... I just caught some kind of bug from one of my family members when i was visiting. I had a flu shot but still got some kind of flu/cold like illness, more like a cold actually. I was worried for about a week since i only have around 300 tcells, that it would get worse and turn into something like pneumonia, so i totally babied myself and stayed in bed etc. it took about a full week to get rid of the major symptoms (fatigue, headache, chills, muscle aches). they were all much less extreme than the flu, so i think i had a bad cold. even at the worst, i could get out of bed and function, if i wanted to. Ok here's my query: It's now going on week 2 and i still have some congestion in my chest/lungs. It's very minor (i wheeze when laying in bed) but if i force myself to cough, i will cough up a very small amount of mucus. It was yellow last week but now is pretty much clear (beige-ish:) I realize i need to talk to my doctor, and i am on bactrim (tcells around 300). do you think i need to worry about this? should i continue to recoup or would it be ok to somewhat push myself (ie: brisk walking, etc)? anybody have this type of problem? what is the "normal" recoup time? note: my HIV-neg roommate caught the very same thing and he's at about the same point in the healing process as me. I was tested for TB about 7 months ago (neg) but was even worried that i could now have TB? ok worrywart is signing off. hee hee
thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
oldwoman
Regular

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
Re: a tenacious cold? new
      #238665 - 04/21/08 11:19 AM

Hi Worrywart,by all means talk to your Dr just to be sure and for your own peace of mind.I do know that it takes me longer than everyone else in my family to get over colds and my CD4 is around 500.Getting up and moving is the best thing for you since just laying around can lead to pneumonia,the fluids(mucus)lay in your lungs and causes pneumonia,I'm not talking about PCP here.You know the rest of it,drink lots of fluids,try to avoid caffeine since that is a diuretic,water,fruit juice,chicken soup things like that.
Take care and hope you're back to normal soon.Yeah I know I sound like a Mom
Terry

pozartistsd
Regular

#238668 - 04/21/08 01:45 PM

thanks Terry (Mom)
All very good advice and about the getting up and moving around part, it does help (me feel better) and good to know the other more important aspect, thanks.
the good news is that yes, I can conquer this, in fact this morning i woke up feeling "almost" normal. I have to remember what my dr said when i first talked to him about HIV, he said "be patient with yourself" no pun intended. I was with HIV but find myself not being patient with this cold thing and other minor deals. I just get annoyed that it takes so long to get rid of it and everyday it seems better but the difference (for the better) is very small, barely noticable, but at least it's not progressing for the worse. Long story longer, it seems I caught a funky bug that thankfully (or partly due to the flu shot) was not that severe (as the flu) but bad enough to cause discomfort. I guess we (newly diagnosed HIVers) are still at the point where every little bump or cough is cause for concern. I must admit, because of this fear, i did over "baby" myself. but as you said this isn't always the best.

whocanfigure
Regular

Reged: 09/01/07
      #238715 - 04/22/08 10:27 PM

I think its true that with HIV we tend to worry a bit more about getting a bug. The good thing to remember is sometimes a cold is just a cold, no more. Colds and viruses tend to run course in their own time and not much we can do to change that. All we can do is treat them symptomatically. What I would say is that (a) if you feel uncomfortable with your progression in an illness then contact your doctor. Better to have piece of mind. (b) if you experience symptoms such as persistent fevers, worsening of cough and phelgm production, or any other symptom you don't like, then contact your doctor. If you are getting better than YAYYYYY for your body. It may take us a bit longer to get over things. So, I sound like the nurse that I am...LOL....I am glad you are feeling better. Worry is a natural way of life for us..so it isn't bad unless you are consumed by it.
Hugs, Bernie

pharmstudent
New User

Reged: 04/22/08
      #238716 - 04/22/08 10:37 PM

I am glad you're feeling better because I know what it's like to have a bad cold that won't go away. There is nothing wrong with babying yourself. out of curiosity is this the first time that you have a cold that last for so long?

pozartistsd
Regular

#238749 - 04/23/08 10:00 PM

i don't know if this is the first time i had a cold that lasted this long but it is the first time i paid so much detailed attention to my condition due to having HIV. also another funny thing is i can't remember even having a cold before now as far back as 2000 (i had a really bad flu that year, i remember it because i was on vacation and it kinda ruined my millenium party plans... could of maybe been my seroconverting??? who knows) anyhow, Bernie's advice is good, and i may of blown this situation out of proportion because i was really over the severe portion of the illness in just 2-3 days and it's just a minor, all be it annoying, chest congestion that is clinging on. thanks for asking.
PS: you may of read this in my post but my hiv-neg roommate caught the same bug (we were visiting my family and my sister had it) and his recovery is taking almost exactly as long as mine so that's re-assuring. take care.

picaropsv

Reged: 01/05/08
Loc: Spain
      #238751 - 04/24/08 02:31 AM

Hey all.
This is just my way of looking at it.

First of all, I think we sometimes "get a cold" because we are tired, or stressed out, or just haven't been paying enough attention to ourselves lately and the body says "Hey! I'm here and want a little TLC!" So a "virus" or a "bug" sets in or is already there and the body takes advantage of it to call us into line, lay us low a few days, force us to rest and reflect.

The immune system is also a part of our body that needs exercise just as much as our muscles or our brain. If we never got "sick" then it would get rusty at it's job, so an occasional "cold" or "flu" are like the boiler kicking in when it gets cold. The immune system gets a bit of a work out and is better prepared for larger things.

Finally, as others have mentioned, any bug will have it's cycle, will run its course, despite the "lots of liquids" and "lots of rest" and the symptomatic goodies we can take to get on with our lives while feeling "ill". Some take longer, some shorter. Some people get a cold more often, others less often, but then, some people have to spend hours in the gym to get that flat belly and others seem to develop the wash-board look with very little effort. Each of us is a world.

Curious, I was one of those who almost never got a cold or the flu. Maybe once every two or three years. It would last from three days to a week, and then I would be blessed with another couple of years of "immunity" (and that that I work with kids who don't mind sharing their germs with us!). Could be that my immune system wasn't getting enough of a work out? Or, as I got older I needed more of a work out than I was getting? Again, just thoughts of mine.

--------------------
peace,
picaro.

pozartistsd
Regular

#238765 - 04/24/08 03:53 PM

Picaro, you always have wise outlooks i enjoy reading them. I wish i was in spain, i love it so. isn't that where you are? I've only been to madrid e barcelona but still fell in love. had lots more fun once i realized the clubs get going at 3am, ha. actually my funky pic is taken at the olympic village in barcelona. hey maybe that was infected breast milk? ha, bad taste, sorry

picaropsv

Reged: 01/05/08
Loc: Spain
      #238787 - 04/26/08 02:50 AM

Hey artist!

Ha! I thought I recognized that statue from somewhere! Yes, I live in Spain, in the north, about an hour from the mountains, in a large, semi-desert area called "Monegros" (black mountains). It reminds me of my years living in the Boulder CO area, wide open plains with mountains just over there always keeping you aware of where the West is. Of course, the mountains now tell me where the North is.

Lika any visit, Madrid and Barcelona are not really Spain but rather Spanish Capital Cities. Especially Barcelona, with so many tourists and people from other cultures living there. It would be like going to New York City and telling everyone that you had been in the USA. Well, yes, you had been in the USA, but until you take an AmTrack up to Silver Lake, you've not really seen "the tip of the iceberg" of the USA. Here you also need to get out of the city and visit the small towns in order to get to know the country.

Anyway, I'm glad you enjoyed your time here. Do consider coming back, Spain is worth several visits (that I say because I like it more than, say, Greece or France....)

--------------------
peace,
picaro.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 6634

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3