The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
August69
All Star

Reged: 03/22/08
Is there a Financial Impact to having HIV?
      #238102 - 03/28/08 08:58 PM

Just wondering what the financial impact of having hiv is in The USA. I have noticed that a few of the posts from The USA talk a lot about the financial impact. Being from Canada, where the medical care is covered by the government at least we do not have that to worry about. Here we do not have to pay to go see the doctor, or have the blood test, or the medication (for HIV meds that is). Are some people missing out because they cannot afford the medical coverage required? If so, is there any way for someone to help make donations to help cover the medical care?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
Re: Is there a Financial Impact to having HIV? new
      #238105 - 03/28/08 10:55 PM

Healthcare in the U.S. is a mess. The system is broken beyond repair. Health insurance is tied to your job. If you don't have a job and you have HIV the chance of getting insurance is little to none. If you have no money at all, then you may be able to get on the public welfare Medicaid system..but they put a microscope up your butt and you can't have any assets at all. If you are a politician you can work 5 years and get the best healthcare there is AND retire with full benefits the rest of your life. If you are a military veteran you have to pay a portion of your co pays...even after spending time in tents in a war zone. If you are a military reserve veteran with over 20 years in , you have to wait until your 60 to get any healthcare..and then pay premiums and co pays. In answer to your question, if you have HIV and no money, you are basically out of luck. You can hope an ASF will be able to get you help for your meds. OR you can try the every shrinking public county hospital systems in some states and be treated like a herd of cattle. OR you can be tied to your job the rest of your life because you are really scared if you quit and go to a new one you may not be able to get insurance. Oh, I forgot..you can be an illegal immigrant and get healthcare for free..even though you committed a crime to get into this country. whocanfigure????? SO, sorry you have HIV but glad you can get help. Sorry about getting on my soapbox. I have health insurance and a good job and pay $25.00 mos for my HIV meds....and a premium every month for my insurance and co pays to see the doctor. Free healthcare, I don't think so.
B.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2317

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3