Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
idontjudge

Reged: 02/07/08
any support for hetero guys?
      #236551 - 02/13/08 07:16 AM

hi, I'm new at the body and was browsing through when I noticed that the focus seemed to be on gay guys and women. Don't get me wrong, I have found wonderful support from these groups but I wonder if there are any straight guys with this? p.s. I'm 39 and single again so watch out ladies!!! Just kidding about the watch out part.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
Re: any support for hetero guys? new
      #236579 - 02/13/08 07:37 PM

Hey,

I know you weren't looking to hear from one of "the gays" but I have to ask you what you meant by the focus being on "gays and women".

I don't see much content here that relates exclusively to either group. There are lots of posts offering general support and advice for HIV+ people. There are discussions of medications, side effects, and doctor choices. There are posts about discrimination, insurance claims, retirement options. There are discussions about disclosure, depression, etc. You get the poiint.

So, what's exclusive to gays and women? I am not really sure who is gay or straight here. And sometimes, I am not even sure if I'm typing to a man or a woman.

So I'm puzzled. My only guess if that you are looking for a date. In that case, you may want to consider someplace like Pozmatch.com. I could be worng, but I have not noticed a lot of "hooking up" going on here.

I'm I am wrong, and you are here looking for support and advice, please know that I'd be happy to talk to you. And I promise that I won't try to hook up with you along the way. : )

So, anyway, what's the deal?

Leo

nycman

Reged: 08/16/07
Loc: MANHATTAN, NY
      #236580 - 02/13/08 08:39 PM

hey man i know how you feel. Dont give up!

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #236582 - 02/13/08 09:21 PM

As a hetero woman I will tell you that the "hetero" people have a tendency to hide out. It took me an act of Congress to get even some of the women to start talking.....we have an "area" on this website because woman tend to me more social (no offense guys). As Leonardo said, there are all kinds of opportunities on this site to talk and share ideas, fears, support; whatever you need. I have found it awesome. SO....if you need anything we are all here!!!!!
Take care , Bernie (Bernadine)

movingon
Fanatic

Reged: 08/27/07
      #236583 - 02/13/08 09:23 PM

Hey - Im hetro, and i have found loads of support here from loads of people, gay, straight, male, female. At the end of the day , regardless of our sexual preferences , we are dealing with the same shit. Feel free to send me a private message if you want to talk.

cheers

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #236586 - 02/13/08 09:28 PM

"IdontJudge" - Lets hope so.. Welcome to TheBody...

Eric

whocanfigure
Guru

#236589 - 02/14/08 12:26 AM

So let me tell you another story here. Last Nov. I got IM'd by a hetero guy here telling me how inspirational I was, and blah, blah. We then started talking and he started courting me.....after a month or so...when we exchanged pictures, phone calls, etc; when I told him one of the pictures was taken in Hedonism Resort in Jamaica...he decided I "wasn't the marrying kind" (who said anything about being married??) and made a huge judgement about something he knew nothing about (Hedonism); insulting me and my friends he didn't even know; that was the end. Then, this same person moves to my area of town...makes nice with me, I hear from him everyday, wants to take me to dinner, I'm so smart, so sweet, so nice, so hot, blah blah. Then, last week it stops dead..no more emails, no phone calls. Thats ok with me..cause he is high maintenance and not man enough for me. this guy only came on this site because his therapist (which was a requirement for his HIV visits) told him to. He has never interacted with anyone, guess he thought it was a dating site.
The moral of the story...welcome to The Body. Its nice to have everyone here regardless of their persuasion or sexual orientation. We all have HIV or AIDS. We are all here for each other. Use it wisely and be kind to others. This site has been the greatest asset I have had since diagnosis; the support, the people, the experts, the articles instrumental my my good attitude and adjustment with HIV. We are all in a club we didn't want to be in, so make the best of it!!!!
Take care.
Bernie

ftlaud29

Reged: 02/06/08
      #236708 - 02/17/08 09:49 PM

Hi, I know what you mean, I felt the same way at first, that this was mostly focused on gays. Which makes sense because the majority of people with HIV are gays. I went to a hetersexual group once and I didn't feel like I fit in because everyone in the group were older then me.

whocanfigure
Guru

#236717 - 02/18/08 12:16 PM

This past weekend I went to a few events sponsored by a hetero group here in the LA area. Saturday there was dinner and a dance (about 140 people); Sunday a brunch with about 50 of us. We are all different ages and cultural backgrounds but all hetero with HIV. It was so fun to meet other people. I would look in your area and see if there are any groups like that; otherwise our next event is in Palm Springs in April. We had people from NY and New Orleans here this weekend. And..whats wrong with "older".....we are all here to have fun.
bernie (((:

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3655

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3