HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
movingon
Fanatic

Reged: 08/27/07
Results and Cholesterol
      #236243 - 02/04/08 09:04 PM

Hi All

I started meds about 9 weeks ago when my CD4 was 282, and V/L was 306,000. I just got latest results and CD4 is 407, V/L is 2,800. I am reasonably happy with these results.

However - my cholesterol has risen. I go to the gym almost every day and i do have a balanced diet - but i do anjoy a treat every now and again. Any tips for getting cholesterol down ? i know about fish oil tablets, eating oats etc , but none of them seem to work. My only explanation for the rise in cholesterol was that the blood was taken right after Christmas where i had been travelling, eating fatty food and not doing any excercise for 2 weeks. But i am back on track now.

Any suggestions would be helpful

I hope you are all well

Thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
Re: Results and Cholesterol new
      #236245 - 02/04/08 10:03 PM

Sounds like you are right on track. I found out I was positive a two years ago, my cd4 was 270 v/l 16,000, in my three months my numbers were 409 CD4 and less than 50 viral load. Now two years I find out my numbers on Monday. My cholesteral to rose, but I am on meds to counter act that, sometimes you cholesteral goes back down once you start meds to counteract that effect. They seem to be working, also you have to change your diet. I am on week two of my 20th diet since I was diagnoised. Good luck, and welcome to our forum.. D

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #236247 - 02/04/08 10:24 PM

It is not unusual for your cholesterol to rise on the ARV's..which medication are you on. Like you, I eat well and go to the gym religiously and my cholesterol kept rising. I, too, am on meds to counteract it and it went back to normal. I am on Atripla and thats what did it. You have to weigh the pro's and con's....I know its a pain to take medications but you don't want your cholesterol and HDL rising so high that you have a much higher risk for a heart attack. Good luck....
Bernie

movingon
Fanatic

#236249 - 02/04/08 11:36 PM

thanks for the replies. I have been on the forums before, just not posted for a while.

Well, my diet is pretty good. i eat healthy. But are you saying that i should make even more adjustments and cut out everything fatty / sugary / bad ? I can do it if i have to.

for the record, i am on combivir & kaletra, and have had zero side effects.

question - if i start taking high cholesterol pills - are these something i would take for the rest of my life ? or can you stop when cholesterol becomes normal again ?

thanks

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #236254 - 02/05/08 05:35 AM

Hi,

I'm dealing with the same problem. My blood pressure has also risen slightly. I'm on Truvada, Reyataz + Norvir. What are you taking?

Between my last two results, my cholesterol jumped from 186 to 206. My doctor told me that the medications are the cause. I've changed my diet (to include more soluble fiber and lower cholesterol) and am trying to exercise more, but I won't know if anything I do is working until I go for my next results in March.

I wish I could give you more advice, but like I said, I am in the same boat right now. I'll be checking to see if anyone has suggestions as well.

Good luck.

Leo

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #236255 - 02/05/08 07:26 AM

I do not think that yo should be resonably satisfied with you results with your cd4 and vl. I think that is a great improvement. Keep it up. As for your cholesterol, is this something that runs in your family also? My father who eats very well has high cholesterol and now I do. Also my mom who has high tryglicerydes and now I do. It can all be a heredeteray thing no matter what you eat and how much you work out, it will alwys be there. Genetics play a huge roll.

franfrog
Legend

#236256 - 02/05/08 07:29 AM

sorry for my horrible spelling, it is early and I am not awake yet. :-)

douglass

Reged: 01/10/08
      #236261 - 02/05/08 08:23 AM

i also had the same problem however my number was 650- i was put on meds- and my pancreas and liver had to be tested for damage luckily there was no damage. i take tricor but there are several others available--your doctor should start you on meds now.

franfrog
Legend

#236262 - 02/05/08 08:48 AM

I am also on tricor but it is not only for your cholesterol. This medication helps to lower you cholesterol and triglycerides as well as raise your good cholesterol.

movingon
Fanatic

#236296 - 02/05/08 09:12 PM

thanks guys. As far as i know high cholesterol doesn't run in my family , but i will check again. Being the only hiv + member in my family makes me the only one who is actually getting this kind of thing checked and monitored on a regular basis.

Anyway, i have started again oin fish oil and oatmeal every day - together with my excercise regime - so i am corssing my fingers that it might improve.

Hope you are all well

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #236300 - 02/05/08 10:23 PM

I eat oatmeal everyday and take fish oil capsules and exercise regularly and still had to stay on meds. Do you have to take the meds forever? I would discuss that with your doctor...what you don't need is CAD (coronary artery disease) due to artery clog cholesterol..... like we don't have enough to deal with. Hopefully you won't have to go on meds..but if so...do it gracefully!
Bernie

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4834

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3