Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
mauka

Reged: 01/16/08
switching to Atripla >worried
      #235324 - 01/16/08 10:08 AM

My doc convinced me to switch to Atripla since after taking crixivan for about ten years my triglycerides are pretty dang high(over 600). I've been taking Norvir, Crixivan and Truvada and the idea of just taking one pill a day is a dream indeed, however I'm pretty worried on the side effects I hear, vivid dreams, insomnia, dizziness etc.

Do the side effects show up on everyone? How long do they last and are they THAT bad?
What do they mean exactly by vivid dreams? Nightmares?
What other side effects Atripla has?

I've been doing great on currnet meds and hopefully I will be able to manage Atripla as well,

Thanks for your support and help ya all .
BTW my cd4 are 1024 and VL undetectable.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
Re: switching to Atripla >worried new
      #235327 - 01/16/08 11:44 AM

Well I am sorry I can not snswer how the Atripla is, I am on the sustiva though which had the same side effects. I know that it does not happen to eeveryone. Everyone is different. I know when I started taking the sustiva they told me the same thing, the forst night was a little crazy but after that it was fine.
I had some houlicinations, and I still have some weird dreams but I do not think it is anything you should be to concerned with. Just know that they will be there and they are not real.

I do know how you feel about the triglycerides though. Mine were actually over 900. YIKES! They have come down to about 300 since being on a medication called tricor.
Good luck with your change and let us know how it goes. Like I said, know that those are only side effects. You may not have them or you may. Typically they last no longer then 2 weeks. Mine lasted a night.(well except the dreams-not nightmares)

mauka

#235328 - 01/16/08 12:03 PM

thank you :)

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #235344 - 01/16/08 06:54 PM

Atripla is a combination of three drugs in one pill. One of those drugs is Sustiva. As Franfrog pointed out, Sustiva is the component responsible for the vivid dreams. I did experience more vivid dreams that almost felt hallucinogenic but I didn't find them to be scary or disturbing.

I took Atripla for nine days, but had to stop using it because I developed a red blotchy rash over my entire body. According to my doctor, the rash was an allergic reaction to the Sustiva.

Currently, I take Truvada, Reyataz and Norvir with no signifigant side effects. I have to admit, however, that sometimes I miss the Sustiva dreams.

Good luck!

Leo

FJ2

#235346 - 01/16/08 09:33 PM

I have been on Atripla for 6 months, and love it. It is so easy just taking one pill a day . As far as the side effects, yes I do have dreams and get woozy after taking it. But it is not that bad. Some of the dreams are crazy, some entertaining, and some can be nightmares - but you do get used to it. I would say it is very tolerable unless you have to work at night after taking the medication, or are very susceptable to depression.

Good luck
FJ

mauka

Re: FJ.... new
      #235352 - 01/17/08 09:19 AM

[quote]I have been on Atripla for 6 months, and love it. It is so easy just taking one pill a day . As far as the side effects, yes I do have dreams and get woozy after taking it. But it is not that bad. Some of the dreams are crazy, some entertaining, and some can be nightmares - but you do get used to it. I would say it is very tolerable unless you have to work at night after taking the medication, or are very susceptable to depression.

Good luck
FJ [/quote]

Thanks for your reply and everone elses :)

FJ I have another question if ya don't mind, would you be able to stay out and up at nite after you took Atripla? Or do you have to go to bed because of the dizziness?

dfwjeep

Reged: 04/19/07
Loc: Dallas, Tx
      #235364 - 01/17/08 03:23 PM

Read your concerns about switching to Atripla, actually I haven't had any side effects and have been taking it for over a year now. Well unless you include the "vivid dreams" part, but hey...I have had some GREAT dreams since I've been on it. Have visited a LOT of people from my past (in the dreams) and don't really consider that to be a bad side effect.

Hope it goes as well with you, good luck!!

wdhjlr

Reged: 07/25/07
      #235365 - 01/17/08 03:46 PM

MY DOCTOR WANTED TO GET ME OFF PROTEASE INHIBITORS DUE TO SIDE EFFECTS. I TRIED SUSTIVA, A COMPONENT OF ATRIPLA, FOR OVER A MONTH, BUT COULD NOT DEAL WITH IT'S SIDE EFFECTS. I HAVE A LONG FAMILY AND PERSONAL HISTORY OF DEPRESSION SO IT WAS NOT SURPRISING THAT I WOULD NOT TOLERATE THE NEW DRUG. SO BASICALLY FOR ME IT WAS DIZZINESS, SLEEPINESS, APATHY/DEPRESSION.... BUT I READ WHERE MANY ON IT ARE DOING JUST FINE. JR

fellis

Reged: 01/19/08
      #235394 - 01/19/08 10:44 AM

I started on Atripla Dec 8. This is my first round of meds so I don't have the years of experience with meds that you do. I will say this, I too was worried about the side effects of Sustiva in the Atripla.

Well the first few nights, I did indeed feel woozy almost like I was drunk, just a half hour into taking the pill. But here I am, Jan 18 and the side effect are pretty much gone. I have been out to a club after taking the pill, with no problems. I have even had two good strong Gin and Tonics trying to test myself... no problem. Sure I feel a little tired after but at night and at 45 years old I felt that way before I took the pill.

So far I have had no side effects except a small amount of nausea in the morning which went away right after I eat and then the dreams... oh yeah the dreams. To me they don't seem more vivid than normal but seem very long... for example. I take the pill around 930pm and I am asleep around 10 or 11 and if for some reason I get back up when my BF crawls into bed, it seems like I had been dreaming for hours and hours...

I just took my first test after starting the medicine and am eagerly awaiting my new numbers. I was at CD4 400 / VL 1780... I am hoping it will be very successful considering my low numbers to begin with.

I did have a moment of depression when I considered the thought of losing my BF after 7 years, but I think I would have had that either way.

I recommend it. Good Luck. Feel free to contact me if you like.

BillyNYC1969

Reged: 01/20/08
Loc: NY, NY
      #235418 - 01/20/08 01:51 AM

I've been on Atripla now for about 6 months with a great deal of success. VL has gone down to being undetectable within about 2 months of taking it. One thing to note about Atripla and specifically the Sustiva part of the drug, is that if you eat prior to taking the drug, the absorption is higher. This is why when you get the Medication it comes with the warning to not eat 2 hours before or 1 hour after. You may find that if you adhere to the not eating, you will not notice any dream changes. I do get the dreams but wouldn't call them "Vivid" so much as more entertaining and would agree with a couple others to the noticeable length of the dreams.. sometimes I eat prior to see what dreams may come.. LOL.. I have taken it in the morning at work before, that was early on, I might recommend against that, and try having a conference call that you would need to focus on.. I was a bit dizzy, then.. but now after taking Atripla, I can be up for a few hours, with no real noticeable dizziness, and feel safe driving, if needed. I never got the "rash" that people sometimes talk about, but I hear that goes away after a couple weeks of being on it. I could understand if you are prone to nightmares, not enjoying the drug, but like I stated earlier, if you stay away from eating around the time you take it, you are much less likely to notice.

One other thing to note I guess, according to my doctor, and research I have done, is adherence is very important. I have never missed a dose. And the 1/2 life of these drugs are pretty long, but the idea of becoming resistant to the Atripla, there is a chance that you may become resistant to other Antivirals, at least in the class.. something to talk to your doctor about. But all in all, I'm very happy with the drug. Good luck, and wish you health and happiness. Bill

bluemaze

#235525 - 01/21/08 08:32 PM

I am scared too. I recently was diagnoised, 9-2007, and after my tests came back at 270 and 177k for viral load my doc prescribed atripla. Now I am trying to find a way to pay for a medicine which scares the hell out of me. i am out in the public as a lawyer. I don't want to look differant, i dont want to be sick. I dont want my law partner to know I am positive, and I don't want to have to pay $1500.00 a month for meds. But it don't really matter what I want I have a wife kids and responsibility to them to do the best I can for them. To that end I am planning on asking the drug company for assistance tomorrow on paying for meds. Has anyone had experience with this.

Thanks

dave

oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #235553 - 01/22/08 05:56 PM

Dave,do you have a case manager?Have you gone to and ASO(AIDS service organization)?They might be able to help you.The social worker in my Dr's office got me on Special Pharmacutical Benefits Program,they cover my co-pay and when I didn't have insurance they paid for all my HIV meds.There are programs to help us pay for meds.Check into them you shouldn't have to do it alone.

Terry

bluemaze

#235677 - 01/25/08 11:14 PM

Terry. Thanks for the response. I do have a case worker through a local AIDS foundation. She seems to be a fantastic person, but it has been nearly 2 months since we started working together regarding finding financing for meds, and when I suggested contacting the pharmucatical company directly, she did not encourage me. I did apply to the Atripla assistance program, the day after we discussed this and they authorized a voucher for 1 month free. Tonight is the first time I am going to take my pill. I am scared, about the side affects, I called my patient rep. and she said If I get a real bad rash go to emergency room. I guess any other possible side affects you just have to deal with. I don't mean to sound like I am complaining all of the providers I have come in contact with since finding out about being positive have been really fantastic people, it just seems as if there are things they can't answer and steps you need to take yourself, or at least follow up with to insure things keep moving. The Atripla repressentative did say appeared I would qualify for assistance, and it looks like I should hear soon. I don't have any insurance, and the bill witl actually be $1688.00 per month. That scares the hell out of me. But I can make it for next month, and as long as I keep working, should be okay each month once we reorganize our finances. Again thanks for writing. How was your experience working with the pharamacutical company? Do you really feel better after you get on meds, along with getting a higher CD count? I hope so. thanks again

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #235678 - 01/26/08 01:44 AM

This is Terry's friend, Bernie. I have been on Atripla for a year now. I felt so much better just 4 weeks after I started taking it!! My CD4 shot up to 303 from 183, and VL went from 83,700 to 54 in just 4 weeks!!!!! I was much less tired. The biggest side effect I had was the "off balance" drunk kinda feeling. It was a real challenge to get up in the middle of the night. I would suggest you take it at nighttime at first til you get used to it. The symptoms pretty much dissappeared after a few weeks when my body got used to it. I do notice a big difference if I eat close to taking it..just like the literature says, the Sustive portion of Atripla gets absorbed a whole lot more with food..and I get very symptomatic...otherwise all is well, and am happy with the results. I wish you very good luck with it and trying to keep getting the meds...the US is messed up with its lousy insurance/healthcare system!!!!
Take care!
Bernie

suziq

Reged: 01/29/08
      #235919 - 01/29/08 10:19 PM

I've been on Atripla since August (first med for me) Its a combo med and from what I've learned its the sustiva in it that causes the "vivid dreams" although my dreams have not changed. I think what they mean by the term is real and strange. I have some general side effects common to all antiretroviral therapies. But I am curious why do they want to change your meds when you say you are doing so well on it?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
1 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 10842

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3