HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Ageing with AIDS
      #235138 - 01/11/08 10:28 AM

As many of you know, I was diagnosed with HIV in September 1984; but, as with many others, I probably was initially infected years earlier. I started AZT in 1994, then DDC, then epivir/zerit. I went off meds in 2000 at my insistence and didn't take anything until April 2004 after I spent a month in hospital with PCP.

Since 2004, I have had a cascade of problems including liver disease, pancreatitis, prostate infections, neuropathy, muscular weakness, osteoarthritis, congestive heart disease, and now, most troubling, memory loss.

A recent New York Times article pointed out the experiences of those of us who have had HIV for more than twenty years and who are now over fifty. I just turned 53. This article is based on years of work that has tracked the incidence of the diseases of ageing in those with HIV. Those studies have found that HIV and Protease Inhibitors both make more likely that a person with HIV will get age related cancers, Alzheimer's, kidney disease, liver disease, and heart disease.

The mechanisms are complex, but HIV and PIs disrupt, each in their individual ways, the chemical functioning of the body. In the brain, HIV continues, even in the presence of anti-retorvirals, to destroy brain cells, particulary in the cerbral cortex. This causes a sort of memory loss in which you can't remember what you just heard, but know that you heard it.

Don't take this posting to mean you should lose heart; but, rather as a call for our doctors and the researchers to pay more attention to the problems of ageing and HIV. For instance, older people are excluded from HIV drug trials in order to screen out the statistical noise caused by the effects of ageing.

I recommend that all of you who are interested read the AIDS Community Research Initiative Association Report on Older Adults with HIV which may be found at http://www.acria.org/clinical/roah_final_sept06.pdf .

Regards,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Ageing with AIDS new
      #235139 - 01/11/08 10:46 AM

It was indeed a good article .....and important. How are you? Happy New Year!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Legend

#235140 - 01/11/08 01:59 PM

Just fine Bear. I'm still vertical which is always a plus.

I've been in and out of UCLA Medical over the last year with a strange recurring muscular weakness that causes me to freeze in place when walking. I have endured several horrible neurological tests without result. Bloodwork shows no decreased thyroid function, B12 deficiency or lactic acidosis, which are the usual cause of weakness in HIV-ers.

I'm scheduled for a week of tests of my brain function in February. One test will involve putting electrodes in my brain to test the strength of electical signals sent to my extremities. Yuck, but I have been promised I will be sedated.

I am trying to convince the doctors to give me some wheels so I dependably can go long distances, but so far no luck. So it remains the walker for me.

How are you? I don't mean to be one of those old guys that grouses about their health, but, well I hope you understand my health just now is foremost on my mind.

Cheers,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

douglass

Reged: 01/10/08
      #235141 - 01/11/08 02:12 PM

i also am going through some of these same issues though only 45 and being positive for 23 yrs my internal age has been determined to be around 20 yrs older. this is very important for hiv patients to understand that mostly we will not die from the disease but from other health issues- as I said in "MY STORY" hiv ages us internally much faster than externally.

ScotCharles
Legend

#235161 - 01/12/08 08:11 AM

Exactly right. It is a combination of the effects of the breakdown products of the virus and the ARV drugs that ages us so fast. An emerging culprit is mitochrondrial toxicity which results from mutations in the mitochrondria caused primarily by protease inhibitors and to a lesser extent the virus. Mitochrondria play an important role in the ageing process.

I firmly believe that until the researchers fully understand this effect that ARV therapy should be delayed longer than we currently do in the US to avoid this very troubling complication.

Has anyone else experienced early onset heart disease, osteoarthritis, or memory loss? Please let this board know.

Cheers,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Bear60
Legend

#235171 - 01/12/08 11:02 AM

Charles
I am sorry to hear that your mobility has been curtailed. I dont understand quite what the brain function test is going to do. Is there a treatment you are considering?
Anyway, things here are pretty good. My partner had knee replacement surgery and his new bionic knee is pain free. I think he is the first HIV positive person to get knee replacement around here. I continue to be ok.

--------------------

ScotCharles
Legend

#235173 - 01/12/08 01:17 PM

This test will determine if my brain is communicating properly with my legs and arms, where I have the weakness. If there is a lack of proper signal, I may have Parkinson's Disease.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Monchhichi
Guru

Reged: 02/07/05
Loc: Florida
      #235372 - 01/18/08 01:45 AM

ScotCharles....how good to hear you again. It has been so long since I have been on here. My husband just had to have all of the brain MRI's and all that crap. They are now testing him for HIV Myelopathy. I know you know a hell of a lot more than me but I thought I would throw this out there. My hubby has almost all the same probs that you do minus a couple. Let me know hw things go....I hope you have a good neuro, which I don't doubt for one second knowing you. Best of luck!!!

--------------------
Never forget: Life is too precious to take for granted.

Bear60
Legend

#235380 - 01/18/08 12:52 PM

Well, Charles, I hope it all goes well and you find comfort as well as relief.
Its hell getting old, just worse with HIV I guess.

--------------------

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5108

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3