HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Scared - new labs
      #234904 - 01/04/08 08:24 PM

Well, after the holidays I finally get my lab results from mid-December - my CD4 is down to 222. This is down from 403 in September. I am only about 2 years post exposure, diagnosed 3/14/06. I am 46, have 2 children, and I'm scared. Anyone know if having a stomach bug can screw up the labs? I am hoping that's what happened, because I had other abnormals as well - glucose low, protein high, etc.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
Re: Scared - new labs new
      #234907 - 01/04/08 08:57 PM

Yes, any kind of infection can affect your T-cells..so can stress and a number of other things. First: (I'm talking from own experience and in the medical field) Don't rely only on T-cells..they are so variable. Look at your % and viral load also. See the trends in that. I had a drop of 76 points in my T-cells in last lab..but still have undetectable VL..like you I was scared and then settled in with knowledge. When do you see your ID doctor? Sounds like something else is a bit haywire with other labs being off. SO!!! Don't panic..its ok to worry a bit or be scared; then rally around and look at the whole picture. Take care and let us know what happens.
Bernardine (Bernie) aka: TRex

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #234912 - 01/04/08 09:31 PM

My first test 2 months after I became infected was a cd count of 208. I nearly freaked. The next one was something in the 300's. Once I dropped from in the 400's to mid 200's and then back up again. My doctor didn't feel it was something to be concerned about since my viral load had remained undectectable. It happens and as long as you don't start showing a downward trend try not to be to concerned about it. CD4s are finicky. Even the time of day can affect what your count will look like.

Leonardo
Guru

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #234916 - 01/05/08 06:25 AM

Hey dj,

Don't panic over one set of labs. Many things can affect your cd4 count. Ask your doctor for your cd4 percentage from September and December. I had a less severe drop in my cd4 from September to December (634 to 615) but my cd4 percentage went from 24% to 29%.

Did you get your viral load back? How has that changed? Have you been on medication?

Keep taking care of yourself and don't be discouraged. The important thing is that you are getting medical care. Hang in there.

Leo

dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
      #234952 - 01/05/08 01:42 PM

My viral load has been dropping steadily, but has never reached undetectable. This time it was 3300. I don't know what the % is - the nurse I talked to wasn't all that helpful. I'll know more when I talk to the doctor on Monday. I have never been on meds.

As to how this all happened, I had an affair (first and only, married 13 years to an alcoholic who is now sober) in late 2005 - early 2006. I believe I was actually exposed around Jan. 10th. I got ARS 2-3 weeks later, and was diagnosed definitively on 3/14/06. I'm 46, heterosexual, married mother of two. I live in a small town, rural upstate NY, and this was a real shocker. I just didn't think I was at risk. Obviously, I was wrong.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #234954 - 01/05/08 01:52 PM

Hi DJ
I remember when you were diagnosed. Its pretty amazing that you still are not on any meds. I guess the first thing to do is get all your labs redone then review them with your doctor. If you are only getting blood drawn every 4 to six months maybe once a month for a couple of months will help to show the pattern with the counts. If your TCell count really is 222 , its probably time to start meds. I hope this is a false alarm but this is something we all have to deal with.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

whocanfigure
Guru

Reged: 09/01/07
      #234956 - 01/05/08 03:15 PM

Hey DJ..I grew up in upstate NY...in Slingerlands. Anyway...right now doesn't matter how you got exposed, its how you deal with it. When you go to your next visit tell them you want a copy of your lab..then keep it at home in a book. Good to be pro-active...get a good grasp on your healthcare. As far as the "nurse"..most of these people that call themselves "nurses" are medical assistants with 6 months training....I'm telling you this because i am a real RN. Not the idiots who call themselves "nurses" and are not. OH..I am a hetero female too....in California. Email me anytime if you need to talk. neurotransmit@msn.com
Bernie

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #234959 - 01/05/08 03:35 PM

I'm sorry DJ, I don't always follow as close as I should. I can understand why you are concern. What we've said about CD4s jumping around a bit is true, but if your counts have been declining, than you need to look closer at this.

In December 2007 the CDC issues new guidelines for starting treatment. They now feel anyone with a CD count of 350 or less needs to address this with their doctor.

http://www.thebody.com/content/news/art44335.html

It may be time for you to start. I am the Queen of non-adherance...least was....I've learned...taking meds isn't the end of the world. I'm doing great on mine with no side effects.

Let us know.

sunflower
Grand Master

Reged: 08/31/06
Loc: AK
      #235120 - 01/10/08 10:13 PM

DJ1979 -
I had an acute response to getting the virus also - my counts went steadily down from the mid 400s to 189 - that is when i went on meds (approximately 16 months after finding out). I am 44 YO hetero woman with 2 kids also (grown children). Continue to watch your counts, start to get familiar with the treatment options - even if you don't start for several years you can become more knowledgeable and less freaked out - and the new recommendation is starting sooner than later. Talk to your ID doctor, be proactive and please feel free to email me directly. You will get through this, just as you did finding out.
we are here if you need to share your fears, concerns, joys. Wishing you a wonderful 2008 - and whatever comes up[, you are strong enough to handle it!
Lor

--------------------
Focus on your potential.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3848

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3