Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
uncertain
New User

Reged: 10/06/07
Staying strong
      #232047 - 10/06/07 10:28 PM

Can someone please help me get a better outlook on my newly diagnosed HIV?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Robert1

Reged: 05/29/07
Re: Staying strong new
      #232052 - 10/07/07 01:29 AM

The only thing you can do is take one day at a time. What's done is done. As they say, shit happens. It helps to remember that everyone on this planet will die of something. Everyone only has 70 or so years. Now you know your challenge. To stay healthy and alive with HIV. Luckily in 2007 it's possible. You got to find a great doctor and learn all you can about HIV. It's in you, but it's not you. You gotta fight the stigma. Talk to others with HIV to get perspective. Read the stories on this board and here:
http://www.thebody.com/index/inspire.html

Do what you can to stay strong. You can do it. Remember everyone has challenges. You just met yours. Don't let it get to you. Stay strong and focused on surviving and you will survive. This thing is beatable. You can live a full and happy life with HIV. But you have to be proactive. You have to take meds if you need to and you have to really be committed. you have to love yourself enough to survive.
These are things that have helped me. I hope they have helped you!
Robert

Leonardo
Regular

Reged: 08/07/07
Loc: New Jersey
      #232081 - 10/07/07 06:30 PM

Hey,

I was diagnosed in late July. I cried for a week and was convinced my life was over. A few months later, my outlook is much better and so is my health. Being HIV positive is not the end of your life. In fact, you are likely to live to be a senior citizen, if you take care of yourself.

Have you gotten lab results yet? (CD4 count/viral load) I ask because I would be happy to share my experience with medications, but you may not even be at the point where you need meds. If you are, trust me, it's ok.

Please let me know if you want to talk. I'm confident that your outlook will improve as you become more knowledgeable about how much you can do to take care of yourself.

Leonardo

TRex
Regular

Reged: 01/09/07
Loc: California, USA
      #232139 - 10/09/07 01:24 AM

Uncertainty is certainly a real feeling..as is everything else you are going through. I have been diagnosed for almost one year. I cried on an off for a month. Then I picked myself up and moved on. You cannot change what has happened, as Robert mentioned..but you can be your own advocate. Take care of yourself, seek out others (like us), get knowledgable about your labs, possible future meds, your needs. Most of all make a commitment that you will live a long, good life.
We are here for you. Bernie

Survivor
Veteran

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #232179 - 10/09/07 08:30 PM

It is a road "well traveled" by many and unfortunately many many more... You are not alone in this...

Eric

iamfortunate
New User

Reged: 10/10/07
Loc: SouthWest Florida
      #232214 - 10/10/07 02:22 PM

Hey there,

You are going to feel all sorts of things for the next weeks and months. You like all of us, will go through a period of grief and shock. And then you will get angry. And eventually if you are kind to yourself and find out the facts...you will be ok.

gray

Reged: 10/10/07
      #232250 - 10/11/07 08:59 AM

Hi -

I was diagnosed exactly a week ago, Thurs Oct 4th. I'm referring to the day as "10/4" much like "9/11" since it was a similar day I guess - a day my world changed. I had no idea I'd be positive, for one reason or another I've abstained from sex for over a year and I am asymptomatic and so it was a shock. But I've been really lucky because I had the courage to tell people I love here in New York and they've been nothing short of amazing. I have also reminded myself to breathe.

The other thing that has helped is to find a way to let out the frustration, anger, sadness, pain when it surfaces. I've tried to do that as soon as I notice it and once it goes the calm that is left behind is nothing short of miraculous.

So my advice would be, based on my limited experience (only a week) to share the knowledge with a few people who you trust. And I know this sounds simple and perhaps silly but remember to breathe. Just sitting quietly and hearing your body breathe in and out has helped me so much. And make room for your feelings, all of them, and have them as soon as you can.

From what I've read here the folks on the board are really helpful. So keep reading the boards.

If you want to drop me a line you are welcome to email me at ustrasana@mac.com.

Be kind to yourself.

G.

oldwoman
Regular

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #232301 - 10/12/07 11:05 AM

Wow gray,you're amazing.Keep up that attitude

Terry

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5422

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3