Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Doug
Unregistered

Seeking people for article research.
      #2311 - 04/04/00 08:22 PM

I am a freelance writer doing a story on how to go about seeking medical care for the first time after being diagnosed with HIV. I would be very interested in hearing people's thoughts on: what to look for in a doctor; red flags that indicate perhaps this doctor isn't an appropriate one for you; negative experiences people have had with doctors as it relates to HIV; particularly positive experiences with doctors as it relates to HIV; how people in rural areas have worked around the problem of not even being able to find one doctor in their area who knows anything about HIV, let alone a choice of doctors; nightmares dealing with insurance companies and what you would do different if you could do it all over again (turning in HIV-related claims, pre-existing condition clauses, etc.; and any words of wisdom from your own experience you would give to a person in this situation if it were your friend or family member. Any input would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

Doug

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Steve
Unregistered

Re: Seeking people for article research. new
      #2312 - 04/04/00 08:23 PM

Doug,

Read your insurance policy and be prepared to defend denials. Ask your GP for a referal. Educate yourself so you've a basis to determine relevance. If you feel "dismissed" then seek anothers opinion. Do not be afraid to drop and switch if you feel uncomfortable with your doctor. Remember, it's a service industry and you're the customer. Developing a repor is of the utmost importance and learning to understand your numbers and options is of even greater importance. In any case, keep as much control as you can and be interactive, passivity will result in missed opportunities and undo fear.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1651

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3