Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
bigdog2007

Reged: 08/26/07
HIV - Medicine Early? Support?
      #229951 - 08/26/07 09:59 PM

In Late-January of 2006, i was a male victim of sexually assault. I went to a local urgent care, and they advised me to get a HIV test. I did get a test, and the test results for RNA came back positive. The ELISA test came back negative. I started clinical trials at Duke, with viral load of 1,500 in February, and undetectible since that test, with CD4 always averaging around 550-600. I started Truvada and Sustiva in March of 2006.

My question, first of all is, did the starting medicine early really accomplish anything? With the medicine started early, is there anyway that maybe my body "sheded" the virus?

I went to the police and pressed charges, but they didn't seem too intersted in the case, because I waited until march, and they said because I had been drinking earlier that night before it happened.

I have tried moving on, but sometimes its hard to forget all what has happened and focus on daily life. I think about how I will be able to tell my wife when I marry, my kids, etc.

My questions in all this are.

1. Did the medicine started early really help?
2. Why don't the police pursue this?
3. Are there any websites that offer support?

Edited by bigdog2007 (08/27/07 10:24 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: HIV - Medicine Early? Support? new
      #229968 - 08/27/07 10:34 AM

The real tragedy would be that you are putting yourself through more trauma than necessary. Are you sure you are HIV positive?

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #229973 - 08/27/07 12:10 PM

Bear,
If he has a viral load he's positive,that is the measure of how much HIV is in the blood,HIV- would have a viral load of 0.

oldwoman
Guardian

Reged: 05/12/07
Loc: Phila,Pa
      #229974 - 08/27/07 12:24 PM

I hope that you can find some support groups in your area,check on this site for ASO's near you,you could look into support groups for victims of sexual assault although being a male you might have trouble finding a group that would meet your needs.Does your Dr's office offer any support groups?Is there a social worker there you can talk to?Do you have a case manager?
You can find lots of support here on this BB.Have you talked to any of your family about this?Do you have any support from friends and family?As for future wife and children,take your time,when you meet the right person she will accept you as you are.There are many "mixed" couples.

Crystal

Reged: 09/06/07
Loc: Washington DC
      #230490 - 09/07/07 05:01 AM

Regarding the; “if you started your meds too early” question. That is really up to you and your doctors, everyone is an individual and for the most part our bodies react different at different stages some do better than others and some don’t do as well. Unfortunately there is still a lot to learn. I think we all at one time or another have wondered if we have done the right thing at the right time. I myself waited for almost 17 years before taking meds and still wonder if I waited too long. The best advice I can give you is to do as much research as you can and ask as many questions as you can and listen to your body and what it is telling you.

As far as the police not investigating (without me knowing all the facts) I can only guess that it may be that they just didn’t have enough evidence, or maybe they were prejudice in some way or maybe just lazy who knows but the best thing you can do now is move on and look forward.

I hope this helps and I hope things workout for you. Good luck

Crystal

nomoreworry4me
Master

Reged: 12/24/07
      #235099 - 01/10/08 03:39 PM

sorry to hear that I was raped by another fcker man also . and police said guys dont get raped. so I was tested two weels with elisa and rna was neg, at 8 weeks neg rna and 3 6912 months all neg with elisa and rna and 12. 10 months was hiv dna by pcr neg with eia and i took testing out too 20 months with rna and elisa neg , god bless u

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 41384

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3