Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
MIT

Reged: 09/25/06
T-cells dropping..............
      #228263 - 06/28/07 01:44 AM

T-cells dropping, viral load still low - under 13000 and feeling uneasy about going on meds. should one consider meds at under 200 or 350 t-cells? as i wait it out to see a trend and after being diagnosed 3 yrs ago where nothing really changed i now have to think about what are the best avenues to educate myself on all the drug options? Any advise would be appreciated. thanks

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: T-cells dropping.............. new
      #228271 - 06/28/07 09:24 AM

Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
      #228272 - 06/28/07 09:27 AM

You really don't want to wait until you get to 200. Besides the fact you have a further distance to go to get them back up, a CD4 count of 200 or less will get you an AIDS diagnosis.

Many of the new drugs don't seem to have the horrible side effects seen in the earlier years. Atripla seems to be the new drug of choice and from what I understand about it, it seems to be well tolerated and only one pill a day.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #228286 - 06/28/07 11:14 PM

I would side with Anon One.. You do not want to go to 200. 300-400 trended is a very common practice to start ARV's. As for your options, Atripla once a day as well as a couple other once a day dosing makes it quite easy. Side effects are always a consideration and something you deal with, but they are far less than what it use to be... I would not fear going on ARV's rather I would fear getting an OI because you waited to long. 200 is an aids diagnosis, you really do not want that. It will take you alot longer to build up what you have damaged waiting to long... Talk with your doc.. I presume you have been geno/phenotyped for resistance correct?

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #228294 - 06/29/07 08:57 AM

I will agree with the consensus here, I was diagnosed last year with a T cell of 274; I started meds within a couple of months. My T cell was last time I checked 6 months ago 464 (the labs messed my last test up) and I feel better. There are certain things that you can do that will help minimize the side effects. For example, I am taking a vitamin supplement of Fish Oil to counteract the cholesterol boost that I had after I began taking the meds. My advice is to not let your T cells get any less than what they are, so that they have a chance to bounce back. Good luck to you, D

PSWrandy

Reged: 07/06/07
Loc: wa, usa
      #228604 - 07/08/07 03:42 AM

i would agree with the other postings here. Your CD4 count is low enough. Although your VL is not considered all that high, but i think starting meds is a good idea and soon. i did not start meds for a full year and i now think waiting until my CD4 counts were down to 219 was a mistake. My VL was over 100k. Start them soon and they really are not bad with todays improvement in medications.

randy

--------------------
Respectfully,
randy

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2890

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3