Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
grapefruit

Reged: 04/11/07
AIDS project--anyone willing to help?!
      #226533 - 04/11/07 07:41 PM

Hello everyone,

I'm a university student and taking a course in understanding HIV, and my final project is to interview someone with AIDS. I did happen to find 2 people in my area, but an interview with them couldn't work out. So i've come here!

I really would appreciate if someone could answer these 10 questions for me and post them here so others may also benefit:

1) How long has it been since you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS?

2) What prompted you to be tested for AIDS?

3) After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act?

4) What advice would you give to those vulnerable to the virus?

5) Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma?

6) How much medication are you taking daily, and how are the side effects?

7) Are you married, or do you have children?

8) What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices?

9) Do you think there are enough advocacies for AIDS? Why or why not?

10) Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?--
Those are my questions, even if you can answer some I would appreciate it.

Thank you very much

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Jackie__Blue
Legend

Reged: 01/20/07
Re: AIDS project--anyone willing to help?! new
      #226589 - 04/14/07 09:45 AM

I tested postive in the winter of 1996. Actually found out New Years Eve of that year.

Husband has HIV.

3) After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act?

No problem with the family. Didn't tell them right off. First had to get used to the idea myself. Lost a good friend, but I guess she must not have been that good of a friend.

Have a problem with the wording on this question. EVERYONE is vulnerable to this virus. So in light of that. My advice is that EVERYONE should learn how HIV is transmitted and take appropriate measures to protect their health and their status.

5) Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma?

Oh yes, there is a great deal of stigma. If you take a quick look at the CSI board over at Aidsmeds you will find a nice cross section of the population that believes that people with HIV deserve it. It's quite discouraging to see that in this day and age there are still so many misconceptions about how HIV is transmitted. About who gets HIV. About what it's like to live with HIV.

I take 4 anti-retrovirals. Norvir to boost the Lexiva. Videx EC and AZT. I have resistanct to several medications. Got pass the side effects. Really don't have any issues with my current group of meds.

Yes and yes.

8) What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices?

The whole thing kinda passed my by. I had heard of HIV and AIDS, even knew a couple of guys with it, but I was married at the time and it really didn't have any impact on my life.

No there isn't. We are losing funding and services right and left because the media presents this disease now as something chronic and managable 'like diabeties'. This complancy allows society to push HIV out of view.

10) Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?--

Some groups are more prone to continue with high risk behaviors that can cause transmission of HIV. It should be a very important focus in education. Until we learn how to help people make better choices, then people will continue to put themselves at risk.

JavierNYC

Reged: 12/13/06
Loc: New York
      #226611 - 04/15/07 03:22 PM

i would love to help you with your project.
I was Dx in 10/2006

I was at work one night it was about 2 in the morning and one of my ex's boyfriends call me and told me i needed to get tested because he recently tested +

Well my family and friends have been there for me they act as if there is nothing wrong with me they eat off my plate, drink out of my glass. one of my friends always make jokes about my situation but she does it in a respectful way, i feel she know that i need to be reassured that things are not so bad.

Welll my advice to anyone having sex is be safe, you can never tell who is positive or telling the true about there status. My best friend for 5 years never told me he was +, then when i told him about my status he told me about his. the twist is that he has unprotected sex with people and doesnt tell them about his status, he is even on a couple of those dating web sites and where they ask about your status he puts NEGATIVE. Needless to say I'm not as close to this individual as i used to be, i can't be friends with someone that can be so evil and dishonest basicly he is put everyone that he sleeps with at risk......he is spreading this virus and causing pain and suffering to vulnerable individuals people like him are the reason we cannot contain this virus!

Yes, there is a stigma of AIDS in the United States, i have read blogs about AIDS and the responsed are nasty. I feel that the stigma of AIDS can be somewhat decreased by having more people speak out about there status, not only do homosexuals have AIDS but straight people have this virus aswell. If more shows like Oprah and celebrities like Majic Johnsons speakout about this virus i feel that the stigma can somewhat be decreased

I take a newer drug called Atripla its a pill taking only once a day and I have not had any side effect from the medication. I did attempt suicide a couple months after starting my medication, my MD said that it might have been due to my medication but i beg-to-differ I think its due to my over whelming situation

No I'm not married and I did want children one day but i guess thats out of the question now.

My thoughts of AIDS where like many "It can't happen to me' Many prejudices, I didn't want to be near people with AIDS I was scared I would get it lol

Nope there are not enough advocates. Lost of people are ashamed of there status and are scared to speak out.

AIDS is everywhere it only a matter of time when this virus is spead to those areas. I really cant tell you why, think its nieveness on my people's parts.

Those are my questions, even if you can answer some I would appreciate it.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #226613 - 04/15/07 03:41 PM

Grapefruit.... I hope you realize the value and generosity of helping you on your grade. I have seen this post at other sites as well. I truly hope and urge you to do your research.... HIV and AIDS is more than a paper or an A in some teachers grade book. It is a killer of many and deserves your full and undivided attention to reasearch. All of your questions could be answered simply by doing your reasearch here and reading. This cliff notes approach is not the way I wish to be perceived as an hiv positive person LIVING with a disease that is quote "Managable".. Don't portray us as a happy lot that got the miricle cure.... It hasnt happened and infections are still rampant and people are still dying from this managable disease right here in America I might ad.

Best,

Eric

kolo
Regular

Reged: 03/16/07
      #226709 - 04/19/07 11:52 AM

1) How long has it been since you were diagnosed with HIV/AIDS? hiv...2 months

2) What prompted you to be tested for AIDS? a planned health check up

3) After you tested positive, how did close family and friends/partners around you act? the few i told stood by me and told me it did not change the way they feel about me. they still love me

4) What advice would you give to those vulnerable to the virus? what do you mean by vulnerable?

5) Do you think there is a stigma concerning AIDS in this society (US)? If so, how would you remedy this stigma? all over the world there is a stigma. People ought to get more educated about hiv/aids. that is the only way to remedy

6) How much medication are you taking daily, and how are the side effects? not yet on medications

7) Are you married, or do you have children? no no. but plan to have

8) What were your thoughts or impressions of AIDS before you contracted it? Any prejudices? I thought it was devastating and used to hope and pray a cure be found. Now i want to use my knowledge as a research-scientist in that field.

9) Do you think there are enough advocacies for AIDS? Why or why not? no.

10) Why do you think AIDS is more prominent in some groups or areas and not prominent in others?-- all linked to education and awareness.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2874

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3