HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
One Year on Meds.....
      #225883 - 03/13/07 08:21 PM

Well, 15 months ago this is where it all started for me. I logged onto The Body the first night after finding out my diagnosis. I was pretty much a basket case. I found lots of caring and concern here. I thought I had found a home. But as time marched on, there were some changes here that led me to be uncomfortable. So I haven't been around all that much. I do pop in from time to time to see who is still around and things have been looking better the past few weeks.

So here is my update.... One year on meds.... Well, actually it has only been 48 weeks, but according to the study I'm in, I'm at the one year point. I was diagnosed in January of 06 and started meds in April of 06. I remember those months as a time I don't care to re-live. But luckily, after a rough start with the meds, things have moved along nicely.

I'm thrilled with my one year labs (no viral load results yet). I've come a long way. My life is semi-normal again. I feel great! And I'm working way too much. The only thing that is missing right now is that special person to begin to share my life with. Maybe that will change in year number two if I can get beyond my "running away from anything with promise" issues. I do need to get my social life back on track and get out of the house a bit more.

Anyway, at 48 weeks my CD4 was 725, up from 707 three months ago and up from 524 when I started meds.
My CD4% was 30% (almost into the normal range) up from 24% three months ago and up from 12% when I started meds a year ago.

I'm totally thrilled. My liver enzymes (AST and ALT) were both back in the normal range after being a bit elevated during a couple of labs. Triglycerides were at 71 (<150 is desirable) and LDL cholesterol was 103 (near optimal) and HDL cholesterol was 61which is in the good range.

I feel like I have gotten my life back on track and I'm looking forward to the future.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
James1941
All Star

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Victoria, Australia
Re: One Year on Meds..... new
      #225887 - 03/13/07 10:01 PM

Lucky/unlucky. I'm lucky, I was diagnosed in September 2005 and am still not on medications. You were lucky, you logged onto TheBody that same night, I didn't find my way here until early this year.

Sounds like you are doing great. Nowadays, whenever I'm asked how I am I nearly always answer "For an old fart that drinks too much, smokes too much and don't fornicate enough, I'm doing great". Is not quite true, truth is, I don't fornicate at all, made the decision not to have a girlfriend. One reason being that I cannot use condoms, every time I try to put one on, Percy goes back to sleep. The other reason is that I don't trust the bloddy things, they can burst and there ain't no way I am going to do to some woman what I did to myself.

You are lucky, you have work. I am retired, probably could get a part-time job teaching but I get tired so easily and so quickly that I doubt I could last the 3-hour lectures. I HAVE TO get out of my unit every day, usually end up at one of a few watering-holes = pissed every day.

Haven't got a clue what my CD4 and other readings are and I'm not interested. Go for a check-up every 3 months. As long as I get an SMS saying 'test results still holding steady' I'm happy. If or when I get an SMS saying he wants to see me before the 3 months are up, then I'll start to take an interest in them. Until that day I will continue to regard this as a minor inconvenience. Hell, in one way its even a help, every three moths I got to go to the other side of the city for my check-up, I get to spend some time in the city, breaks up my daily boring routine.

James

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #225937 - 03/15/07 11:18 AM

I just replied to your post at AIDSMED, we are indeed survivors my friend.. Now that the first year is over and we have forged a friendship, maybe it is time for us to get together and celebrate... I hope to hear from you soon... HUGS to you my friend.. D

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #225945 - 03/15/07 05:47 PM

glad to hear that you are doing so well... i am still holding my own (no meds). hope to continue that way for a long time. after hearing all that you went through, i do not look forward to the day i do have to on meds. keep in touch... some of us are still around.
love
daisey

Blixer
Legend

#225949 - 03/15/07 08:52 PM

daisey, looking back it wasn't so bad. Yes, going through it was tough. But had I been a bit more forceful and knowledgable up front I probably would have gotten the doctor's attention much sooner. But I had the "stick it out come hell or high water" approach. I should have simply said "something is wrong" and pressed a bit more. I should have driven myself right up to the city and walked into his office. I think the distance and not being right there to be seen made things worse. I actually only had a really bad 4 days... and about two weeks of being significantly uncomfortable. I did my New Orleans trip 6 weeks after starting meds just to prove to myself I was back to near normal and I had no problems with that. So all in all, when the time comes for meds, don't sweat it too much. Just listen to your body and if things aren't going right, speak up fast. I do hope you are one of the lucky ones that never has to have meds though. Take care and thanks for all the support you provided to me.

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#225950 - 03/15/07 08:54 PM

D,
My very sentiments as I stated in my reply to you over on Aidsmeds. Did you check out the Poz Cruise thread there in the Off Topic Forum? It's going out of Miami I think next Fall. It is a poz group going. Could be interesting.....

--------------------
David

Florida69
Legend

Reged: 02/19/07
      #225957 - 03/16/07 09:34 AM

Hey call me this weekend to catch up. The dates of the cruise are 10/28 through 11/4, and I work for the Dyke from hell and looks like I won't be able to take the time off. Here is the link for anyone else who is interested http://www.gaytravelfl.com/hivretreat.htm

You should come and spend the weekend with me, maybe get a hotel on south beach and I will drive you down weekend before the cruise. The cruise leaves Miami on a Sunday, so come to Tampa and stay withi me a few days before the boat leaves. We have plenty of time to talk about, hollar at me.. HUGS TO YOU MY FRIEND.... D

Edited by FLORIDA69 (03/16/07 10:40 AM)

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #225964 - 03/16/07 04:42 PM

Good show you. Enjoy your health and get out there. You'll regret it when you're sick and old if you don't.

I'm off for a month in Tuscany this October with my bofrin' of 26 years and my surrogate grandmother. We've rented a villa outside San Gimignano near Sienna near Florence. Rental nan can't walk and this will be her first time outside the US. She realizes now she should have travelled when she was healthy......

Cheers,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Blixer
Legend

#225979 - 03/17/07 02:02 PM

Hey ScotCharles, enjoy your trip! It sounds marvelous. I do want to get out and do more of the things I enjoy. Yet, I'm such a slave to work right now. I need to find that happy medium I guess. You are so right about doing those things while healthy. Right now things are going good but I also know that could change. I'll hope for the best. I realize that many have gone before me and paved the way for the better treatments and better options. I very much appreciate what I've got.

--------------------
David

Blixer
Legend

#225980 - 03/17/07 02:07 PM

Hey D,
I doubt I'll actually do the cruise. The timing isn't good for me either. But maybe another cruise someplace along the way. Sorry about having to work for the Dyke from hell. I know that can be a pain. I've got a similar situation and it does make your life hell.

Yes, we need to catch up on things. We have kind of moved through this thing together.

Have a great weekend my friend!
Hugs

--------------------
David

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #226179 - 03/23/07 03:36 AM

good to hear your in better heath,and in good spirits

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4232

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3