Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Mssimone

Reged: 03/05/07
Hiv and SSI
      #225660 - 03/05/07 11:57 PM

Found out I was HIV pos November 8th 2006 now Im 5 months pregnant.
The doctor determain I got infected around June of 06.
My ex boyfriend Of a year was the only person I was seeing, I left him because he was very abusive towards me.
Im getting married soon
and me and my fiance got tested together I was Positive and he is neg.

I started my meds.
I was working 46 hours 5 days a week and now Im down to 16 hours 4 days a week. I already knew that the meds would take a bite out me...
How can someone with Hiv apply for SSI and be approved instead of denied.
There is no way I can make it any longer at work and Im not saying that Im totaly sick it just that I cant even stand up for 15 minutes without being dizzy, also Im very tired.
This only started when I took my meds and I know that it is common, but would that determain me to be approved?
is there anyone here on disabilty?

My doc told me the meds that Im on is the only kind
that wont harm my baby.

Edited by Mssimone (03/06/07 12:00 AM)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IzPoZ
Guardian

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: FTL, Florida
Re: Hiv and SSI new
      #225672 - 03/06/07 07:13 AM

Well, for many people, going on SSI or disability, it's like pulling teeth. Even people who have the diagnosis of AIDS and a doctor's note saying they are incapable of working have been trying for years.

They may not approve it if your bloodwork is still too good, but then again, you can talk to your doctor and ask him about it. Give the meds time to adjust to your body. You didn't say how long you've been on meds, so it's hard to say.

Also, what meds are you taking? There may be others who are able to offer you advice as to how/when to take the meds that will help ease the side-effects.

Again, talk to the doctor and see if there is any way that you can ease the side effects.

--------------------
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #225677 - 03/06/07 08:48 AM

It is true. I know of one person who has been fighting for years to get disability and still can not manage to get it. I applied in August and received it in 6 months or so. It depends on where you are and what the doctor is saying to them. Also like Iz said, what meds are you on and how often? Maybe that can be changed around to different times to help ease it a little.

alive2
Guardian

Reged: 03/08/07
      #225730 - 03/08/07 03:47 AM

i have been waiting for a favorable dission since 2004.with all kinds of medical records stating im unemployable because of mutiple medical problems,and they seem to do everthing they can to keep on denying me and my case,so remember have as much medical evidence as possible.and then even then it may not be enough,you will have to try and try again,if you are truly eligable they may let you get it fast,as for my case i have about a foot thick of medical records,must be im the unlucky one,but dont give up keep on trying.good luck

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #225739 - 03/08/07 09:22 AM

Good luck. Under current SSDI guidelines you have to be very sick indeed to get federal disability. If your CD4 is above 100, I shouldn't even bother unless you have some complicating condition.

As an example, I have painful neuropathy in my feet and hands that make walking and typing on the keyboard difficult but not impossible. With meds, I am able to make a go somewhat of my job, but the pain meds make me drowsy and confused, especially since I am anemic anyway (side effect of the meds). As a result, I have trouble concentrating at work.

I have asked for a reasonable accomodation under the ADA and have been told that I may have to take a job at half my current salary in order to be accomodated! Still, I am not sick enough for SSDI and I am able to make enough money to be above the SSDI threshold.

You sound as though you may be depressed and may be having some reactions to the meds. The dizziness may be caused by anemia, for instance. But I bet you can answer a telephone and take slow directions - not disabled, sorry.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

alive2
Guardian

#225742 - 03/08/07 09:42 AM

thats about the sound of what they keep on telling me too,scotcharles.neouropathy and weakness,coupled with fatigue and all documented isnt even enough.they are making it harder and harder,so much so side effects dont even hit the radar either.i had to change my name from alivehoping,how you doing?

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #225748 - 03/08/07 09:58 AM

Pretty good, the new med I'm taking for the neuropathy in my feet and hands seems to be working; and, cross fingers, I won't feel drowsy and confused like I did on Elavil and Neurotonin.

I got so depressed over the neuropathy, I decided to chuck it and quit taking my meds back before Thanksgiving with the intention of dying from AIDS complications. Got a painful dose of prostatis and a lung infection that put me in the hospital for a few days as a result.

Surprisingly, after being completely off meds for nearly three months, my CD4 rose 50 points and my viral load dropped to undetectable. Percentage went to 14% though, and I have developed a bad case of anemia. Still, go figure, off meds for 90 days and my bloodwork improves.

I'm back on meds and working on the depression. Feels like I'm in a very dark place most days, but today the imitrapine (spelling?) has made me almost gay.

Cheers,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

alive2
Guardian

#225752 - 03/08/07 10:10 AM

lol

skye56

Reged: 11/10/12
      #269351 - 11/30/12 02:34 PM

Apply they probaly will deny you at first,get a lawyer that can work pro bono,or one if you have low income.You will get SSI if you do this,a lot of the SSI will be retroactive till you get your final decision from SSI.Dont back down,thats what they want.

riverprincessModerator

Reged: 12/25/11
Loc: Jersey Shore
      #269359 - 11/30/12 06:30 PM

Start with going to your local Socisal security office. Now are you looking for SSI or SSD? I would say to have a lawyer because being denied seems to be part of the process. In addition it takes quite awhile for the process and to be approved. You may want to look into other means if your hoping for result by the time you give birth. I wish there was more I could tell you at this moment. If I think of anything I will pm you .

--------------------
Look up to the Heavens for the answers to Lifes questions .

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5250

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3