Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
SaltyWater

Reged: 08/23/06
How long do I have?
      #224205 - 02/09/07 04:52 PM

if a 25 year old person has recently been diagnosed with HIV, Not on meds yet with a CD4 of 455 (have a cold at the moment, so thats why it may be low)

How long can I expect to live, I know noone can ever say, Mr X you will live for X amount of years, but I would like to see 50 at least!! I'm so worried about this, i dont want to die early and leave my family behind. Will JIV stop me getting to 50 assuming I take meds and they work

Any advise could be GRATEFULLY recieved.

Thank You

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
IzPoZ
Guardian

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: FTL, Florida
Re: How long do I have? new
      #224215 - 02/09/07 07:17 PM

Ya know, Salty, even if you didn't have HIV, how long would you live? You could be hit by a bus tomorrow (God forbid!) and you wouldn't even be the wiser. Would you live your life any different? Does anyone have the insight to know these things? Even doctors aren't psychics and can't tell you that.

However, that being said, you ARE 25, and STILL have a healthy immune system. After you get on meds, it will be even better.

I was diagnosed when I was 26. I'm now 38. I'm on meds, I take care of myself, I don't drink, I don't smoke, I work a full time job, I am a single mother, I live a normal life... my CD4 are over 400, VL is undetectable and my ratio is 20%. Never had any OI's, and nothing related to HIV.

There are others who have been living with HIV for 20+ years.

--------------------
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #224221 - 02/09/07 10:52 PM

Very well said Iz. Salty, she is right, no one can even give you a remotly close idea of how long you will live. I knew someone who had the disease for 9 years and unfortunatly did not take care of themselves and passed away. I know people who have been poz 20+ years and still going strong. I figure I have had this about 8-9 years(which would have made me about 22) and had PCP about 2 years ago which is when I was actually diagnosed. I had a cd4 count of 52 and now I have a cd4 of 553. My numbers have been great since my hospital stay and I plan to live past 50. Hopefully I will die of old age!

prana

Reged: 01/20/07
Loc: UK
      #224237 - 02/10/07 05:10 PM

You can maintain/increase your CD4 count by doing the breathing technique I have mentioned under "Treatment" forum and subject "Increase your CD4 count".
Once you start this, you will feel confident about life and will not worry about how long to live, as you will have learnt to help your body to fight.

allen42

Reged: 02/08/07
Loc: Michigan
      #224241 - 02/10/07 09:04 PM

That would depend mostly on you. It is not unrealistic to expect to live a normal resonably healthy lifetime. If you take care of yourself by eating right not drinking acessively or doing drugs that sort of thing and TAKE YOUR MEDS it is not unrealistic to expect to live thirty forty years even being posiative. I just lost my partner last year he was diagnosed in 1984. He managed to live that long even though at that time drs knew very little about HIV and drugs were pretty much no existant. Medications and good medical treatment are key but I think the biggest part is your attitude so stay posiative and up beat take care of yourself take your meds and ill be talking to you for another 30plus years Best of luck Allen

--------------------
Allen W Murray

James1941
All Star

Reged: 12/05/06
Loc: Victoria, Australia
      #224261 - 02/11/07 02:50 PM

Hey man, knock it off. I am 65 (66 in August), was diagnosed HIV+ in 2005 and my ambition is to live until 2050 (I will be 100+). Hell, I've seen in 1950 and I've seen in 2000 (and all the years in between), now I want to see in 2050. Who knows, if I get to 2050, my next ambition might be to see in 3000 and all the years in between. I haven't got a clue what my 'counts' are and I don't want to know, couldn't give a s&&t, as long as my professor keeps telling me that my tests results are 'holding steady' I am happy - I don't need meds.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #224269 - 02/11/07 05:24 PM

Take your meds, see your doctor regularly, keep yourself fit by exercising and avoiding tobacco and alcohol, practice safe sex and you will easily make 50.

That said you still have to have a reason to keep that effort up year after year. Seek your bliss and live it.

I've been postive going on 23 years and full blown AIDS for four, meds since the early 90's. I'm still here and making a difference every day.

Cheers,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #224282 - 02/11/07 08:57 PM

Chuck, dont forget the 24.5 year avg is based on yesterdays ARV's not tomorrows....

Love you Chuck!

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #224369 - 02/13/07 12:10 PM

True, as I am coming upon that milestone, this average becomes important, I guess. I've been given up for dead so many times I don't really think about dying anymore. It is best to live today fully and let tommorrow take care of itself.

For me every birthday since I was declared HIV+ nearly 23 years ago has been unexpected, surprising, and somewhat dreadful.

No mistake, I am always glad to be alive; but, as the side effects of the meds, the inevitable toll of decades old infection, and the slow fade of age take hold of my body, I find it is more important to find a reason to go out into the world every day and do my best.

Nonetheless, some days when the sky is dark and the grass without colour, I do long for the languor of a final illness. However, not for me today the cool quiet of the grave, but the glare and strife of another day. Wahoo!

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #224372 - 02/13/07 02:15 PM

Chuck, you never cease to move me even though I know that was never your intention to do so.... I for one am glad you are still romping around on planet earth..

Love you Chuck, And I hate the gray sky's to...

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3452

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3