Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

travelling with HIV
      #220652 - 01/03/07 06:43 PM

I am wanting to plan a trip from Canada to someplace tropical probably the bahamas. Question is, how difficult is it to travel while pos? My b/f would love to go on a trip but I am scared.
I haven't travelled anywhere since my diagnosis in 2003 d/t fear of being turned away at a airport.
Any suggestions? Or anyway to put my mind at ease?
Where is the best places to go that are warm?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: travelling with HIV new
      #220793 - 01/04/07 06:31 PM

I have traveled from the US to England and Egypt without difficulty. No one asked my status and I did not disclose it. I carried my prescriptions in case someone asked what medications I was traveling with, but no one ever asked. I had to get a visa to travel in Egypt and it was not a question asked to obtain it. I wouldn't worry about it. Relax have fun and if you can travel.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#220799 - 01/04/07 07:27 PM

You can probably find out online if a country has travel restrictions for people living with HIV. Here in the US people are not allowed in the country if they have HIV so many people will mail their medications to someone here and not travel with them, hence not having anything that would give them away.

So Florida would be out. I saw something about the US relaxing these restrictions for travelers, but I'm not sure exactly what they are.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#222703 - 01/17/07 08:24 PM

Be cautious. I am from Canada planning a trip to Florida. In checking in to things I found out that the US does not allow anyone with HIV in to the country if they know about it. I almost started crying, talk about discrimination.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #223424 - 01/22/07 10:54 AM

Don't disclose your status and take the precaution of mailing your meds ahead to a friend or to your hotel (ask them if they will accept your mail and hold it for you). Perhaps best to ship by a service like FedEx or UPS, insured of course.

You could also put them into your luggage, but you risk a random search, which anyway is unlikely to happen. I shouldn't carry your meds in your carry-on which are more likely to be searched.

Sorry the US is such a butt head about this, a law it shares with the People's Republic of China.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1933

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3