Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

please respond please!
      #218148 - 12/13/06 03:17 AM

hello everyone i just tested positive 2months ago but with all the referrals and appointments i finally was able to see my MD he prescribed Atripla but doesnt want me to start taking them until my genotype results return. so this is my situation, when i recieved my first set of lab results they were VL9558 CD4 249 12% so they told me i had AIDS. why was it so i was ok with having HIV but when they told me i had AIDS it broke me down even more. Is AIDS treatable as much as HIV, i know its a strang question but all the information i read relates to hiv and it seems that once you have AIDS its over. I read an article and the title stated "HIV not a death sentence but a chronic illness now" does that relate to folks that are AIDS patients.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
Re: please respond please! new
      #218170 - 12/13/06 08:16 AM

Ok, forst of all, calm down. Do some research. Usually the CDC will not define you as having AIDS unless your cd4 drops BELOW 200 and/or you have an OI. With your numbers where they are and if you not had any of the OI's then I would pretty much still classify you as being HIV poz.
As for why it seemed to hit you harder, only you know. II know when I had my diagnosis, which was an AIDs diagnosis(cd4 of 52 and PCP) it hit me like a ton of bricks because it was more of a reality.
It is a chronic illness and if you have acess to meds, you can manage it. My cd4 have gone up to between 495 and 508. My vl has been undetectable. So yes it can be done.
Good luck and take one day at a time.

survivor4me

Reged: 06/09/06
      #218214 - 12/13/06 02:21 PM

hey, you can respond to my email here "survivor4me". I've been poz (still not used to that) since July. I cannot believe it. I've spent numerous hours pondering my future. I think it's tough not to. I think this is a great website for useful info and support. But it also is very blunt. Don't let it scare you too much. I agree, according to the CDC you do not have AIDS, you have HIV and now that I have it, I'm very conscious about the difference but trust me, most of the American public, straight and gay don't know the difference unless someobody close to them has it. The word/term AIDS has been used like the word Kleenex vs. Tissues.

Honest if you can use a friend.... or buddy, email me, I know I can... and yes, my world has changed, kidney stones, rashes, colds and my cd4 has been over 250 since diagnosis in June.

We will probably not see a cure, but hopefully a stream of continuous new drugs to help us deal better with this "CHRONIC" disease. hmmm another word I don't like. Diabetes seems Chronic, this seems more like "deadly".

Perhpas I'll get hit by a bus or die in a plane crash, it won't matter much if that happens.

I'm hoping for quality of life and longevity. What else is there. You will be ok. Get on some meds... Do some testing first as you are drug niaive at this point.

Take care.

Edited by survivor4me (12/13/06 02:22 PM)

ang89
Regular

Reged: 12/24/04
Re: Don't worry! new
      #218430 - 12/15/06 01:14 PM

When I was diagnosed I had 10 cd4 and high viral load, and I was sick. 2 years later I have 460 cd4's and been undectable for almost 2 years and I have never felt heathier. You are exactly where they would start treatment anyways so stay happy. I thought aids was under 200 anyways.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#218664 - 12/18/06 12:05 PM

I THOUGHT AIDS WAS WITH A CD4 LESS THAN 200 AND A MUCH HIGHER VIRAL LOAD, AND THE PRESENCE OF OPPORTUNISTIC INFECTIONS? BUT, NONETHELESS, YES YOU CAN RECOVER QUICKLY FROM AN AIDS DIAGNOSIS WITH THE RIGHT MEDS, AND EXPECT TO CONTINUE TO IMPROVE WITH TIME. I KNOW. I HAD AIDS AS I DESCRIBED, AND I'M DOING MUCH BETTER IN A VERY SHORT PERIOD OF TIME.... JR.

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #218668 - 12/18/06 12:49 PM

Nope it is or not and to all of those, friend.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#219294 - 12/20/06 03:42 PM

you don't have AIDS unless your CD4 count goes below 200 but if you dont want them I'd tell the Dr. he's cutting it too close...once you have AIDS it goes down in the books as having AIDS you can recover and go above 200 on your CD4 and be in the HIV status but on record you will still be diagnosed as AIDS. once AIDS always AIDS -p.s. Atripla is great to be on.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#219311 - 12/20/06 05:08 PM

The criteria for meeting the CDC AIDS definition is

a) a CD4 count under 200; viral load does not enter into this

and/or

b) one of the 23 CDC defined AIDS defining illnesses.

My CD has never fallen below 200, but I've now popped up with one of those 23, so I'm now told I have AIDS.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2665

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3