HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
thevillebear
Fanatic

Reged: 06/10/06
Loc: KY
Just got recent lab results
      #216332 - 11/30/06 01:40 AM

Hi everyone haven't been here for a while, hope all are doing well.
Just got my recent lab results, my viral load has gone to 150,000 while my CD4 count has stood gone from 620 in July to 640 now!

My Dr. seems to think it odd that while my viral load has gone up substantially my CD4 count has actually gone up.
Also my kidney function test was off, just what I need kidney problems on top of HIV!
Anyway I go to get another viral load test and kidney function test tomorrow, and if my viral load is not down will likely be starting on meds. soon right now haven't discussed with my Dr. what meds I should take if I have to start.
But I know what I wont take, no Sustiva or Atripla, my boyfriend took Sustiva some time back and it made him absolutely crazy, I tried it just to see the side effects and it made me ill, not to mention really disrupted my sleep. I swear I would rather be dead than take that crap!
Hope everyone else is doing well!
Hugs, Bear

Diagnosed 6/2006
Last blood work, late October
VL 150,000
CD4 640
No meds. yet, but likely soon.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
eleniel
Guru

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Utah, USA
Re: Just got recent lab results new
      #216440 - 11/30/06 10:44 PM

that sucks about needing meds and the liver shit.
My vl has been rising (along wiht some bumpy cd4 fluctuations) for awhile now..not sure why either. *shrug* but thats life right?
Hope you're doing alright

--------------------
6/29/2010: vl 68,000 cd4: 205

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #216498 - 12/01/06 09:50 AM

Sustiva is vile stuff, I agree; but, it is the one drug that can effectively cross the blood/brain barrier and get at the virus in your brain and nervous system. Long term infection with HIV in the brain and CNS causes significant loss of brain tissue in those area governing motor function, speech, vision, and coordination. HIV induced brain disease is the exact opposite of Alzheimer's as HIV reduces your ability to see, speak, and move while Alzheimer's takes away your higher funcitons such as complex reasoning but leaves you able to move until its final stages.

I would soldier through Sustiva if you can. I am sadly resistant to it and its sister drugs so I am developing HIV induced brain disease after being infected for 22 years.

Oh well,

ScotCharles

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#216499 - 12/01/06 10:06 AM

AZT also does cross the blood/brain barrier. While it's an old drug and has it's problems, it is very effective at fight the virus in the brain.

thevillebear
Fanatic

#216588 - 12/01/06 10:52 PM

Hi Eleniel am doing good other than my viral load steadily rising but like you say that's life. Seems life takes all kinds of odd turns but all I can do is keep on going, I don't plan on this disease being a death sentence for me.

eleniel
Guru

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Utah, USA
      #216589 - 12/01/06 10:54 PM

nope. Just kick it in the ass.

And deal with sustiva if you can...supposedly the side effects lessen over time.

--------------------
6/29/2010: vl 68,000 cd4: 205

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #216941 - 12/04/06 07:31 PM

Hey Bear,
I haven't been around on these boards for a while but just wanted to make a couple of comments. I wouldn't sweat the liver stuff right now. My liver enzymes went way up just about the time I was going to start meds. No explanation and no reason. They just did! And then after starting meds they returned to normal. They we just slightly elevated in my last lab work. Remember that your blood work is just a one moment snapshot and lots of things can be going on. My doctor said not to worry about liver issues unles they get elevated to 3X normal over a period of time.

And even though Sustiva can be a bear to start with, the side effects do lessen over time. I'm on sustive and had sleep issues at first. I moved my dosing to mornings and now I'm just sailing along. Once in a great while I'll have that slightly drunk feeling, but for the most part I can say I now have no issues at all! So be willing to give the sustiva a chance.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #216992 - 12/05/06 02:45 AM

thevillebear,your numbers are kind of high for starting meds,i thought it was a standard of around 350,at least i know my drugs were started at 301,with vl over 150,000.i hope your not pushed into it just because of the viral load being high.hopefully you still have plenty of time to make the dission,dont rush it make a clear and desisve dission.as for the sustiva,i agree with you 110%,i had them to start out and they did drive me to the looney bin no joking,i was stuck in a nut ward,i really was mad about it too.5 days and i was feeling like i was in a jail,told what where and when all the time i was there.that drug isnt for all of us,and i couldnt sleep because of the nightmarish dreams.research the options you still have before jumping on them as once you start them theres no stopping,im sure you know this.take care

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #217034 - 12/05/06 10:50 AM

AZT used long term causes demyeliation of the nerves and should be avoided at all costs. This is a nasty drug with untenable side effects. I was on AZT for years in the 90's and I am now dealing with severe nerve damage resulting in part from AZT use.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Edited by ScotCharles (12/05/06 10:53 AM)

thevillebear
Fanatic

#217139 - 12/05/06 10:22 PM

My Dr. is really hesitant to start me on meds. too soon as well, she ordered another viral load test for me.
She is concerned about my viral load, but also said as long as my CD-4 count stays good and I have no OI's she saw no reason to rush taking meds. and reminded me herself once I start I have to keep on taking them.
As for the Sustiva I would be afraid it would land me in the loony bin as well, I suppose if I don't take it or AZT I risk getting brain disease from HIV.
Whatever I do take I just want it to be something I can tolerate because from what I understand once you stop a medicine you often become resistant to it and possibly resistant to similar meds.
I can really talk to my DR. and I think she will listen to me and work out a plan that works for me.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #217170 - 12/06/06 09:04 AM

and write down anything that might be on your mind now that you may forget,this way theres no stone unturned.i know my doc wecomes all the questions,except the ridiculious ones.it is true once you start them theres no looking back,and when i started taking them over 2 years ago i had to do the hit and miss thing where 1 was working good and the next was a problem,just make sure when you do start you understand what side effects that may come with each one and be ready for them and any kind of releif you can get from other things or even foods for that matter.you can never be over prepared for this move,good luck,take care

Since4Ever

Reged: 12/17/06
Loc: Shenandoah Valley, Virginia
      #218621 - 12/17/06 11:28 PM

Hiya! I get some dream/sleep wierdness from Sustiva *occasionally* but most people I know who take it get none anymore. I wouldn't take it once and base a decision on that, because honey, that one pill once a day Atripla is *the deal* after decades of way more pills than that!

I know, it's all individual, how we react and what we can tolerate but don't throw the baby out with the bathwater until you know (A) whether any side effects wear off for you and (B) the #*@( stuff works for you or not!

Your pal -

--------------------
Cheers,
Since4Ever

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5244

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3