Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
More Bad News
      #213520 - 10/31/06 08:54 AM

The friend of mine who has been in the hospital for 2 weeks now.....has finally been diagnosed with.....PML.
What Is PML?
Progressive multifocal leucoencephalopathy is a serious viral infection of the brain.
"Encephalo" means brain. "Pathy" means disease. Encephalopathy is a disease of the brain. "Leuco-" means white. Leucoencephalopathy is a disease of the white matter of the brain.

"Progressive" means that this disease gets worse in a short time. "Multifocal" means that it shows up in several places at the same time.

Researchers estimate that about 6% of people with AIDS develop PML. Most cases of PML show up in people with CD4 cell counts below 100. The exact rate is hard to know because PML is difficult to diagnose.

Most cases of PML used to be fatal. People diagnosed with PML lived an average of 6 months, and most died within 2 years. However, if people with PML start taking strong antiretroviral medications (ARVs) to control their HIV, they can survive much longer. Now only about half of people with HIV and PML die from PML.

The "JC" virus causes PML. Between 80-85% of all adults are exposed to this virus worldwide. In people with weakened immune systems, JC virus can become active.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: More Bad News new
      #213535 - 10/31/06 11:33 AM

I am sorry to hear about your friend. Is he alert or still out of it? Have they started him on stronger medication? I hope that he pulls through and does ok. I will keep him in my prayers.

Bear60
Legend

#213540 - 10/31/06 01:51 PM

He is alert but has very poor memory and cannot speak as well as he used to. Luckily his motor skills are not very affected. The biggest challenge now is going to be the fact that he is resistant to all the HIV drugs. I still dont know how the doctors plan to treat him.

--------------------

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #213545 - 10/31/06 02:04 PM

Bear, all i can do is offer you and your friend my prayers and love. You will be in my thoughts during this dark and painful time.

Much love,
Faith

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #213592 - 11/01/06 12:29 PM

lets just hope your friend is in the survival % in the facts.and as you know bear try not to stress to much.take care and good luck to your friend too.

Bear60
Legend

#213615 - 11/01/06 04:15 PM

Thanks for the kind words Mr. Alive and all you folks. I think this is going to be an ongoing part of my life for the near future. Its just so sad. He was at the GayGames in Chicago this summer!

--------------------

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #213630 - 11/01/06 09:51 PM

no problem bear,just remain hopefull things will work themselves out in a good way,thats all we can do for people no matter the illnesses they may have.seems like if he was an athlete he has a good sence of health and exercise,so it may make a whole big difference,keep the chin up,take care

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3299

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3