Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Intact Skin; Dont throw all caution to the wind
      #207480 - 09/17/06 07:17 AM

I read a post from time to time that downplays the risk of HIV transmittion thru intact screen. Just as HIV stigma shouldnt be used to ac-celerate HIV transmittion concerns and information, nor should defensiveness about HIV stigma be used to de-celerate HIV transmittion concerns and information.

Response from Mr. Sowadsky

Hi. Thank you for your question.

The skin provides an excellent barrier against infection with HIV, and other bloodborne diseases like Hepatitis B and Hepatitis C. The pores of the skin are not a direct access to the bloodstream. As long as the skin is intact, and there are no fresh cuts, open sores, abrasions, dermatitis, etc., HIV will not enter the bloodstream, and you will not get infected. *****However, remember that mucous membranes (linings of the eyes, nose, mouth,******* head of the penis, vagina, and rectum) are much thinner than regular skin, and are much more likely to have microscopic cuts and abrasions, that may allow HIV to enter the bloodstream.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Intact Skin; Dont throw all caution to the wind new
      #207482 - 09/17/06 07:35 AM

This has got to be the meddlesome woman with the ex husband she can't leave alone.

I don't understand your point. He says the same thing that has been said in posts.

HIV is not transmitted via intact skin.

What? You didn't understand that there is a difference between skin and mucous membranes or do you have a problem with reading comprehension?

rainbowhisperer
Regular

Reged: 08/10/06
Loc: Kansas
      #207486 - 09/17/06 09:04 AM

i know your irritated with this woman but why bither even answering her?

--------------------
God bless me, God bless My Family, and God bless My Friends, Please forgive me for all of my sins,

Anonymous
Unregistered

#207601 - 09/18/06 06:44 AM

Wow, I am the woman with the ex husband and just came on today to read the responses and this was not me!
I am not stupid, nor am I am I afraid of HIV and I KNOW the the skin is an excellent barrier. My problem is not skin! Geez, you really are blowing things out of proportion on me. Why don't you take a step back and realize I am not attacking you and being so sensitive. When did people stop caring about other people that are being put in danger? That is what is WRONG with this world. No one cares anymore....

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3011

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3