Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

No Place for Regular Men
      #206593 - 09/09/06 01:54 PM

I keep hearing that HIV is not a gay disease (meaning that straight people get it too). If that is the case, why isn't there a posting area for "Men." There is a posting area for women, gays, Blacks, military and teens have theirs.

What do we have to do to get a site for just regular Joe's who became infected?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: No Place for Regular Men new
      #206615 - 09/09/06 04:11 PM

i see that you are posting as ANON.....is that how you would post in a Mens Forum? Its always the same registered people who post regularly....and we post in all the forums....so I dont know why it really makes much difference to have the various forums.. I am amazed by the tolerance and diversity of the registered people who post here. But if you really feel strongly I hope you contact the moderators of these forums to propose a change.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

jenn
Regular

Reged: 09/14/05
Re: No Place for Regular Men
      #206692 - 09/10/06 08:56 PM

I consider "regular men" to be straight, gay, and bi, so maybe you are right - since they have a forum for women, they should have one for men. But...maybe there should be a furum for people that are heterosexual to post, since often they can feel in a minority.

alivehoping
Veteran

Reged: 04/05/06
      #206699 - 09/10/06 10:05 PM

dont worry about the issue of being a regular guy,im regular too,i just happen to have hiv.even the gay people are regular,they just have different ways of living.now if you used to be a female,who was in the military and were a black teen,then start worring,ok joe? (hope i dont get a backlash for this post,lol)

alivehoping
Veteran

#206701 - 09/10/06 10:09 PM

well i dont know exactly whom i would talk to then.everyone heres all the people i know,so to have a forum for just that would kind of defeat the purposes of learning,because its not your sexual oreintation,its the fact of having hiv,and it has no borders.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206734 - 09/11/06 08:19 AM

[quote]so to have a forum for just that would kind of defeat the purposes of learning,because its not your sexual oreintation,its the fact of having hiv,and it has no borders. [/quote]

Then why is there a forum specifically for Gay Men?

Bear60
Veteran

#206748 - 09/11/06 09:45 AM

quote from Alive: "dont worry about the issue of being a regular guy,im regular too,i just happen to have hiv.even the gay people are regular,they just have different ways of living.now if you used to be a female,who was in the military and were a black teen,then start worring,ok joe? (hope i dont get a backlash for this post,lol) "
No backlash from me.....the thing that binds us all together is HIV. We are all HIV positive and it no longer matters if you are male, female , gay, straight or a latina transsexual.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206751 - 09/11/06 10:00 AM

[quote] Quote from Bear: We are all HIV positive and it no longer matters if you are male, female , gay, straight or a latina transsexual. [/quote]

If that were true, there wouldn't be an area for women, gays, teens, etc. Unfortunately, hetro males have no site for them to connect. There are some feelings that I can not fully relate to because I am not gay or female or black or a teen. In like manner, there are some issues that gays, females, blacks and teens cannot relate to about being a hetro man. I'm not saying this to put anyone down; I just want to find someone who relates to some of the issues that I have to deal with, like other people on this site have been able to do.

Bear60
Veteran

#206753 - 09/11/06 10:10 AM

There was a guy on AIDSMEDS from London who wanted to make an issue out of the lack of a forum for straight men. I suggest that if you have an issue of being in the same forum as women or gays that your problem isnt HIV.

--------------------

Anonymous
Unregistered

#206755 - 09/11/06 10:28 AM

You wouldn't understand, since you have the luxury of posting on general sites about universal issues as well as posting on the gay site about issues that relate specifically to gays. All I am saying is that I would like the opportunity to do the same.

Bear60
Veteran

#206756 - 09/11/06 10:47 AM

Oh I see, gays becuse we have been the most stigmatized and have born the brunt of a lot of prejudice, are now to be treated like we are a majority? I dont think so. We still are a minority and have our own set of HIV problems. A good way to see this is when doctors or dentists ask...are you gay? HIV is still the issue whether you choose to accept it or not. But being gay and HIV positive is often a separate issue. Being a straigt guy, I guess you wouldnt understand. Also, being a woman has its own set of HIV related issues because there has been a lot of discussion regarding whether HIV treatment applies equally to women as to men. For example...... are the prescribed doses of medicine the same for both men and women or is there something inherently different about women that would mean that doctors should treat women differently than men?

--------------------

alivehoping
Veteran

#206774 - 09/11/06 12:21 PM

probably to talk specificly about the things they would be interested in.but more inportantly,this is the living with forum,so i guess that would include all of us who are infected not just gay men,us straight guys too,clear and simple as that.

alivehoping
Veteran

#206775 - 09/11/06 12:24 PM

lol, good to know regular guys can have a sence of humor,just like anyone else here.im sure your not irregular bear, thanks,take care

alivehoping
Veteran

#206776 - 09/11/06 12:25 PM

well put,simple and to the very point.not to mention correct

alivehoping
Veteran

#206777 - 09/11/06 12:27 PM

see what your doing on the site now,your making conversation,isnt that your very point about being able to communicate and post questions and learn,as well as have an input?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12835

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3