HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
bstnguy25

Reged: 01/04/06
Loc: Camb,MA, USA
need some help
      #204692 - 08/24/06 03:25 AM

hello all,
recently, I just received my HIV lab result. My viral load is about 1.492 and CD 4 around 34 % of CD 3 and 349 uL

is that a good number? anyone of you think i should start on meds?
the doctor assistant told me that i shouldnt be on med since my viral load is 1.492. I need a better suggestion and advice.

thank you.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: need some help new
      #204734 - 08/24/06 09:15 AM

Hi
Let me just say HI and welcome and say that we are not doctors here and whatever you get in terms of opinions is just that.....opinions based on experience. You need to know what a Log is I think your viral load is being experssed in Log form........ ? So you need to do some homework. Your numbers dont sound bad at all. But I have seen other people start meds at your level because they want to get a jump on the virus before they become any more immune compromised. Did you ask your doctor to explain why you dont need to be on meds? What did he say.
It could be if this is your first blood work....that he wants to see the results of several more blood draws and determine if your numbers improve or deteriorate. I dont know....ask questions!!!!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #204769 - 08/24/06 10:41 AM

your on top of things here bear,i was wondering how that was written,thanks for the clue,and to the poster bear is right you have to ask alot of question,knowledge is you freind in this part of life now,ask away,take care

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #204805 - 08/24/06 03:46 PM

Hun,

Going on meds at your numbers is a matter of preference. Some believe that below 500 CD4, you should be on meds to preserve the health of your immune system, while others say that going on meds should be postponed until CD4 levels are 200 or less. Still others think when your % flips, that is becomes less than 1, you should go on meds since the flip is a proven indicator of progression to full blown AIDS. And still others think if your viral load is more than undetectable or more than some fairly arbitrary number you should go on meds.

My personal experience is that you should hold off on taking meds as long as possible, as the meds are harder on your body than the virus, at times.

I was diagnosed in September, 1984 and went on meds in '94 when my % flipped and my CD4 dropped to below 400. I made a reasoned decision, supported by my doctor, to go off meds in 2000; but, I committed to monthly monitoring. In 2004, I was diagnosed with PCP at which time my CD4 was at 424 and my viral load at 300K - fairly high and low numbers, respectively for PCP. At that time, I began HAART with sustiva and videx, to which I became resistant and allergic very shortly. I have since been on norvir, atazanavir, tenofovir, emtriva, dapsone, elavil, and xanax, all of which have played a right Harry with my liver.

In short, friend, this is your decision, not your doctors. Do what makes you feel comfortable, it is after all your body.

Cheers and have a safe trip,

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1994

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3