Advertisement
The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Travelling outside US and back into US - HELP!!!!
      #203374 - 08/13/06 03:03 PM

I currently work in the US and am on a work visa. Tested hiv +ve last year here in the US and I want to find out if I can travel to other countries come back to the US without any problems at the airport, i.e at immigration. I am scared that because I tested here in the US, signed that Department of Health consent form, maybe my details were sent to immigration and when I try to come back into the States, then I'll incur problems. Please advise me, I really need help with information!! By the way, I love this site...its like my best friend because we talk about everything here.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Re: Travelling outside US and back into US - HELP!!!! new
      #203460 - 08/14/06 12:29 PM

In general your HIV status is kept confidential, however your name is associated with your diagnosis in a database somewhere at the CDC. It would be highly unlikely that immigration could get access to that information, without an overwhelming need to know, which again is highly unlikely.

If you are denied admission, I would chuck the US and get a work permit in the UK or elsewhere in Europe where this barbaric HIV discrimination does not take place.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#203492 - 08/14/06 08:28 PM

It could cause you problems at re-entry. The US is a bit backwards. They don't allow Non-US citizens with HIV in the country. They may not have specific information about you, but if they find your medications, such as a search during customsl, they can deny entry.

Here is a link where you can find more information:

http://www.aidsmeds.com/Fusetalk/messageview.cfm?catid=18&threadid=23543

ScotCharles
Legend

#203494 - 08/14/06 08:56 PM

Meds found during US luggage search are a huge problem these days for tourists and visa holders. However you likely will be searched only as you board a plane....so maybe avoiding domestic flights and booking non-stop to the US from Europe may be best.

You do not have to list HIV as a communicable disease with which you have been infected or exposed on the US entry card in my opinion.

You are very unlikely to have your luggage searched upon arrival in the US.

Good luck.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#203571 - 08/15/06 03:34 PM

Thank you guys for input and info. I'm already here in the US on my work visa. I am not on meds yet, just vitamins and other supplements. Its just that I've been getting paranoid and having nightmares that if I had to go home on vacation or any other country on holiday when i get back to the US, then my information about my status would have been relayed to immigration and the airport officials and I would be deported.

ScotCharles
Legend

#203575 - 08/15/06 03:56 PM

You are in the US where the CIA and the FBI don't effectively communicate. If you are not on meds, I wouldn't disclose on your entry forms that you are HIV+ at all, and then I wouldn't worry.

Once on meds with the new carryon restrictions, we shall all have to learn to carry only those meds we will take on the flight and trust that our luggage will arrive at the same destination at roughly the same time as ourselves. Even so, the meds will have to be clearly lablelled so we may have to explain to some bright spark what the meds are for, but as I always say, " I've been thrown out of better places".

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#203677 - 08/16/06 09:06 AM

Thank you so much Scotcharles...you are the best, I'll plan my much needed vacation now with no worries!!!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#203750 - 08/16/06 06:53 PM

I have similar question.

I am a Canadian and in USA now. I will go back to Canada in the near future. I am worried if I come back form Canada, will the US Custom officers find out my HIV status by checking my Canadian passport in their computer. I mean if their computer system had been integrated with CDC computer system so that my HIV status will be found out from the Custom’s Computer? BTW, I am on Meds now.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2117

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3