Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Fraud.....Beware of Charlatans
      #200147 - 07/15/06 11:07 AM

Folks, I had to post this here because its been posted elsewhere and has important information for us to know.

The Associated Press
Allentown, Pa

A woman who took to the lecture circuit with her account of being raped and infected with AIDS as a child was charged with defrauding the state of $66,000 by falsely claiming to have the disease.
Cassey Weierbach, 27, was arragined June 30 on charges of theft by deception, forgery, tampering with records, and making false statements.
She has told her seemingly tragic story over the years to churches, youth groups, and medical conferences and has been covered by various media including The Morning Call Of Allentown. But in June, the Morning Call published a story in which a pastor accused Weierbach of duping her congregation.
Arrest records state that Weierbach used fabricated laboratory records to indicate she had AIDS so she could recieve benefits through the Northampton County Assistence Office in 2003.
She provided false information in 2004 and 2005 to at least three area doctors, one of whom became suspicious after Weierbach refused AIDS medications, according to an affidavit.
In August 2005, Weierbach admitted herself to Sacred Heart Hospital where an examination showed she did not have AIDS; however she presented herself as having AIDS to Sacred Heart Primary Care in 2006, the afidavit says.
Gay activist and newspaper publisher Liz Bradbury told The Morning Call, " I dont know whether this person can be saved, but I don't want her to hurt anyone else".
Bradbury told the paper in June that she suspected Weierbachs dramatic account of her life was false.
Bradbury said Weierbach hurt the cause of AIDS awareness, claiming that situations like this start AIDS panic and increases hate and fear of people with AIDS.
(Weierbach was on tour with Hope's Voice)
Weierbachs time with the group was cut short when its executive director , Todd Murray, grew suspicious because Weierbach did not show symptoms and would not provide a medical emergency plan with instructions on what to do and whom to call.
Murray said his doubts intensified one night when Weierbach stood up out of her wheelchair and danced in a bar.
"For someone to lie and take advantage of the system hurts not only the awareness movement, but it hurts the people who fight to live with this every day" said Murray.
The Morning Call's June article on Weierbach suggested she might have facticious disorder, a condition in which individuals knowingly fake illness to gain unnecessary attention, especially medical.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
Re: Fraud.....Beware of Charlatans new
      #200151 - 07/15/06 11:43 AM

Geez, that just has "ugly" written all over it, what a shame.
SF

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200155 - 07/15/06 12:03 PM

goooood one...

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200156 - 07/15/06 12:03 PM

No that is pretty wrong..

rickincattco
Regular

Reged: 07/10/06
Loc: Western New York State
      #200233 - 07/16/06 09:21 AM

Thanks Bear very enlightenibng. Yes this is one sick......person
but with nothing to do with HIV/Aids.hopefully she didnt do too much damge to those who truly need the help and support.

Cheers

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #200241 - 07/16/06 09:58 AM

Thanks Rick....
Right....she was not HIV positive ( and may not have been raped?) and has told her story to many thousands of people.
But....as the article pointed out....this sort of thing makes life for HIV positive people harder not easier. Because she was able to make people more afraid of contact with HIV positive people, we all have suffered...you and I. Just read the questions in these forums: 1. Can I really have a relationship with an HIV positive woman? 2. Should I be afraid to touch "some body part" of an HIV positive person and on and on. I makes me sick.
If you look at the questions in Am I Infected...its FEAR and GUILT that dominates these people's lives. Cassey only added to that fear.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #200301 - 07/16/06 11:59 PM

and here i am in ny fighting tooth and nail to get the meds i need and fight the system every way possible so i dont get sicker and mantain so sence of normalcy,, and along comes someone who deceives for the mere sake of profit in not just 1 way but many way that will hurt anyone who is in need of vital services,or meds,this should be takin as a hate crime against all who do suffer.no matter the amount of money,the care and giving ways of people who were fooled wont be so giving next time when someone asks.

IzPoZ
Guardian

Reged: 01/24/05
Loc: FTL, Florida
      #200309 - 07/17/06 06:56 AM

Living this life with HIV as a single person is hard enough.. Having someone like this just perpetuate the issue further is just insane. I hope this woman gets all that she deserves and the treatment she needs. This is just going to cause further problems for those who REALLY need the help.

--------------------
The reason angels can fly is that they take themselves so lightly. ~ Chesterton G. K.

DanielMark
Expert

Reged: 06/06/04
Loc: Ottawa Canada
      #200315 - 07/17/06 07:42 AM

Reaffirming my theory that the stupid are loose and roaming the earth. What punishment could possibly fit a crime like this? The woman obviously has some form of mental illness.

That said, I’ll also say that I disagree that her stupid behaviour will negatively impact those of us living with HIV/AIDS. Any thinking person compassionate enough to give in the quest will be able to know the difference between real need and bull doodie.

I once knew a woman who claimed she had been raped, and suckered on my sympathies about it. I was furious yes when I found out it was all a lie, however, that doesn’t mean I now find every claim of rape to be suspect.

--------------------
Follow your honest heart

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #200732 - 07/20/06 10:06 AM

This is one time I would love to serve on a jury.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3089

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3