Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Social Security Disablity
      #199832 - 07/13/06 02:53 AM

Hey everybody...does anyone know about how long until I'm notified of the appeal hearing/judge's decision? And what date do they use as date of disability for retroactive pmt calculation? The date I initially applied for SSD, or first day after my last day of work? I can't find the answers on SS website. Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
Re: Social Security Disablity new
      #199863 - 07/13/06 08:51 AM

goooooooooood luck, disability is getting harder and harder to get, especially for HIV/aids....you practically have to be bedridden, and then even still count on atleast a 2 yr wait for your court hearings,etc....

i was bedridden for 3 months, full blown aids...still have problems with it, and have been waiting for my hearing....from feb of 05....court is scheduled for jan,07....they do that in hopes one of two things will happen...

1...you'll get better enough to be able to do SOMETHING for work.

2...you will die, and not need it

again, good luck*

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #199878 - 07/13/06 09:47 AM

it's a shame when it's easier for citizens in foreign countries to get medical assistance quicker than us tax payers. having to wait almost two years for a court hearing to determine your level of need is ridiculous!

ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #199951 - 07/13/06 08:32 PM

Social security requires that to qualify for disability you have to be unfit for any work for which you are qualified. For instance a steel rigger with a bad back could work as an office clerk. Likewise someone with AIDS who is asymptomatic might be able to do some work that would earn more than the monthly anticipated disability payment.

Generally you have to be unfit for work, have a condition that will continuously (that is without interruption) render you unfit for work, be in contemplation of imminent death, or have a condition that is not treatable by medications (people who claim depression often fall into this group).

With AIDS meds these days most of us will never qualify until very much later in the course of our disease generally when death is imminent. Of course by then most of us will qualify for social security retirement.

Good luck. I assume you had to quit your job due to your condition, so maybe you are the lucky one. You will nonetheless have to submit to annual examinations by Social Security to determine if you continue to be unfit for work for as long as you receive DI.

You haven't mentioned if you have a lawyer/advocate, you stand a much better chance of getting an award if you have one. Your local AIDS Service Center can put you onto to someone who will take only a reasonable percentage of your award as his fee.

Tutoanana

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #199960 - 07/13/06 09:44 PM

Hi Charles! Glad to know you are alive and well and still kicking ass.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

AIDS2HIV
Legend

Reged: 12/19/05
      #199986 - 07/13/06 11:19 PM

i agree.....is good to see you again Charles. Ive personally missed you. Hope all is well for you, my friend...God Bless*

--------------------
Thinking about meeting someone from this site? Read my profile before you do.

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #200014 - 07/14/06 08:39 AM

hey charles, we haven't heard from you in over a month. IT'S GOOD TO HAVE YOU BACK....you were missed!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200051 - 07/14/06 11:59 AM

Thanks, I have had a difficult time over the last few months or so with Jim's (my companion of 26 years) COPD diagnosis, Jim's civil lawsuit against the Archdiocese of New Orleans, and my continuing liver problems...but a three week holiday in Africa has renewed me a lot.

There is so much AIDS in Africa. My safari guide lost a brother and a sister to tuberculosis complications of their AIDS condition. However on the other hand, the animals were incredible and the hotels sumptious beyond the dreams of maharajahs.

I would love to go out on disability retirement, but the lawyer and the social worker say I don't yet qualify. Perhaps I should go off my meds and hang around Chinatown until I get a med-resistant strain of TB....just joking, of course.

Tutoanana, rafikini,

ScotCharles

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200103 - 07/14/06 09:37 PM

Wow. I didn't realize so many people have had such problems getting approved for SSDI. I was approved 9 months after applying. A lawyer told me it would be very difficult and could take up to 2 years. I didn't hire the lawyer and just about gave up on the idea when I was notified I was approved from Social Security. Now I'm feeling alot better and am afraid of losing the medical care insurance (Medicaid) if a new job doesn't work out, etc. Its very tricky in dealing with new insurance, employers, etc. when you've been out of work for a while on disability and are ready to go back to regular work (this is the whole new set of problems I'm dealing with). People still get approved for SSDI--you have to prove that your depression, irritability, diarreah, severe lack of energy, stamina, etc., prevents you from any type of regular work schedule. Good luck.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #200126 - 07/15/06 06:43 AM

i applied in aug. 2004,and finally have a date with alj on aug 30th 2006.have all info ready,meds,docs statments to your ability to work if you can,all other medical reports,what you can and cant do.eaiser if you have a disability attourney to do alot of this.its not an easy road as the wait is long,and make sure your doc knows how to fill in papers,and they are supporting your dission to file and they are going to help with your files.hope this helps.good luck,take care

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #200127 - 07/15/06 06:45 AM

where you been,get lost on the super highway?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#200792 - 07/20/06 05:30 PM

check out helpful info at this site
http://www.gmhc.org/

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3007

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3