HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
HIV and "normal" lifespan
      #198540 - 07/02/06 12:13 AM

I ran across this on the John Hopkins site posted by someone asking a question there and thought it was interesting:
-----------------------
I'm 53, HIV+ since 1999, on Truvada/Sustiva since January 2005. Undetectable since April 2005, 600+ CD4. I'm eligible to retire based on 30 years of service to my employer. I have been researching lifetime annuities. In the insurance biz there is something called Medical Underwriting:

"If you have a medical condition - such as heart disease or diabetes - that might reduce your life expectancy, you may be eligible for Medical Underwriting. Under this provision, you could receive a "rated age," greater than your actual age, that could either increase your income payments or reduce the premium needed to generate specific payments.

I applied and the enrolment papers list 30 conditions that might result in a rated age including Alzheimer’s, cancer, cirrhosis of the liver, leukemia, Parkinson's stroke, etc.

BUT NO HIV!

Although I've read on this site many times that I have a chance of living a normal life span. I'm beginning to actually believe it now.

Joel Gallant's Reply was:
That's great, though I'm not sure that life insurance forms are the best place to get disease information. HIV really CAN shorten your life. The point is, it doesn't HAVE to.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: HIV and "normal" lifespan new
      #198542 - 07/02/06 12:28 AM

You mean... we are going to live?? No more Mellodrama here on the boards!?!?! Christ Sake! I will miss Frans Rants, Daiseys' topsy turvey world, my frankly fucked up ness now has to all be put away??? Bumin me out man!

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198544 - 07/02/06 12:30 AM

I don't think you have to worry Eric... The only thing that will make some people believe is when you invite them to your 80th Birthday Party.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #198546 - 07/02/06 01:28 AM

as long as you beleive it is more possible than if you give up,besides there are other things in life that may get you first,so me i say live it up if you can,get out and do things when possible,i think next trip i take will be with the kids to disney again,but the my brother in law will bring his family too,already going to book it,take care

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198553 - 07/02/06 03:56 AM

That post says less about life span and more about the long term cost of HIV care. The longer you live the worse it is for the ins company if you have HIV because the cost of the disease can be high.

Even if you never get sick, it's the off the charts cost of the medication (Truvada alone around 900 a month ) which we have to take for decades. Many folks are covered by medicaid or get their meds for free some other way but guys like me pay for my own insurance.

Someone has to pay for the meds.

Despite medicare part D many non HIV folks now have to decide between their meds and eating.. Am I going to be in the same situation? Or eventually lose everything and go on medicaid?

Who knows?

I'm 56, it's not that far off.

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #198633 - 07/02/06 10:35 PM

Actually I can see that I created a lot of confusion here and didn't intend to. We aren't talking about health insurance or life insurance or anything like that. We are talking about annuities. This is a case where an individual paid into a fund, usually with an insurance company, on a tax deferred basis for years while they worked. At retirement, they can convert that fund to a guaranteed lifetime income. The annuity company, Usually an arm of an insurance company, often has a policy that they will accelerate payments to individuals with life shortening conditions. IE, they will pay the money you paid in, out to you faster. The risk to the insurance company is that if you convert to a guaranteed lifetime payment, and you live longer than they expect, you draw out more than you paid in and they can lose money. So they are going to be cautious. You don't have to convert an annuity to a guaranteed income stream. But most companies offer that choice. Many companies will allow you to get "accelerted" payments if you have diabetes or heart diesease or some lung conditions. The interesting thing is, they don't allow you to get accelerated payments if you have HIV. They are no longer convinced that HIV will significantly shorten your life enough that they won't lose money on a guaranteed payment contract. And they are in the business to make money.

What does it all mean? Maybe nothing at all... except for the fact that the guerus that study life and disease and how long people are going to live are no longer convinced that those of us with HIV are going to die earlier. WE might... and we might die from something totally unrelated. But they are no longer convinced. They are convinced that heart disease will kill you off at an earlier age. They are convinced that diabetes will kill you off at an earlier age. But not necessarily HIV. So just a very interesting change in the procedures from just one small aspect of the insurnace industry... the annuity side.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Survivor
Legend

#198635 - 07/02/06 10:57 PM

what happens with my piggy-bank if I convert it lets say a Snuffalupogus-bank? Will my earnings increase?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198652 - 07/03/06 10:31 AM

But if you read the posts on the Insurance Forum in The Body you see that you can only get small life insurance policies, if at all, probably enough to cover a funeral expense and at high premiums.

You still cannnot find a company that will offer a large enough life insurance payout to cover a family in the case of death of the provider who is HIV pos. for example. If they do exist the premiums are extremely expensive, probably not worth the money.

I have a good policy to help support my family should I die, but when I decided last year to change it for a slightly better premium and had to take a blood test I found out I was HIV pos. and was denied the policy. Luckily I still have the original policy beore I converted.

Based on the letters and responses in that forum, the life insurance companies are still convinced that HIV pos. people are not a good risk at least for a policy with a substantial return.

Survivor
Legend

#198654 - 07/03/06 10:37 AM

Better look around, I just increased my LI by 500k... They know my status....

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198668 - 07/03/06 12:16 PM

Eric, Tha'ts great!!!... 500K coverage even with a positve HIV test on the Physical???

Which company is it??????

Survivor
Legend

#198669 - 07/03/06 12:19 PM

Its thru our Hotel network.. Ill see if I can find out the underwriter information for you..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198700 - 07/03/06 04:33 PM

Sounds like a group insurance plan through work. Most don't have access to that kind of life insurance policy and have to do it privately. That may explain the difference.

Survivor
Legend

#198713 - 07/03/06 05:34 PM

Maybe I am just the lucky one I guess.. It is an insurance carrier that covers all 900 of our hotels. You figure each hotel has 400 + employees avg. The burdon is pretty low. But I have been told there is life insurance out there now because HIV diagnosis (receintly infected past 7 years) is not a death sentence anymore. I live in such a remote area, I do not really get into the big picture stuff. All my best in your search.... Its not like I even need life insurance... Heck if I die, William gets the house bla bla bla. I have no kiddies for college etc and William owns his own home.. But if I do crock, William will be able to pay off this house and still have 300k to live. In fact, my insurance covers him in the event he dies as well.. I am sticking with this company... If you ever want to get into the hotel business!! lol

Love

Eric - "RatBoy"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#198720 - 07/03/06 06:27 PM

What you're saying makes more sense to me now and probably explains why the experts in the insurance forum are pretty constant when they say it's still very difficult to get life insurance coverage of any significant amount at a decent premium if you're HIV postiive, even if you're healthy.

kitty1

Reged: 05/31/06
      #198969 - 07/05/06 11:04 PM

Hey Erico, I am in the hotel industry. you mind giving me more infor?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4664

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3