Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
GayCzar
Unregistered

Urine Drug Screening and SUSTIVA!
      #19848 - 07/28/01 03:32 AM

Dear "The Body" Family,

This is GayCzar, writing on my husband's behalf.

We know for a fact that we will end up writing a book on the account of our lives and recent occurrences - it is just too much to talk about, and we believe it could help others. Just for the sake of clarification, my husband, due to a potentially deadly thyroid problem which went overlooked by his doctors, ended up being involved in a fatal car accident which resulted in the death of an 8-year-old boy, severer trauma to the boy's family, and nearly cost my husband's life since his own body was broken (fractured) from head to toes - today he is an assembly of bones (broken, in the process of healing), plates, screws, and psychological and emotional scars that will stay with him for years to come. Even though the doctors failed to properly monitor his health which ultimately resulted in the accident, the judicial system found my hubby at fault, and sentenced him to a year in county jail and two years probation. He is on work release, and adding good behavior to it, he should be out in 6 or 7 months, in December or January the latest... I certainly hope he is 'Home For Christmas'. He is HIV positive with a high CD4 count and undetectable Viral Load for years now, just like myself - I know, we are so blessed!! He is presently on SUSTIVA and COMBIVIR, and I am on FORTOVASE, VIRACEPT and VIRAMUNE.

The newest thing we've had to deal with was the fact that on occasion, urine drug screening tests are run in jail where he is. A few weeks back, I received a distress call from him saying that his test had turned out positive for Marijuana, and that they were revoking his work release privileges and placing him on a different type of detention cell. Danny KNEW the test was wrong - WE DON'T DO DRUGS - but how do you prove that you didn't do something? How do you disprove a negative? He swore he was clean, volunteered to pay for a reputable laboratory to come and draw his blood on the spot and run any necessary tests, but they decided to re-do the urine screen, and the second one came negative. That was a relief!

Now, last Sunday, he was asked to perform another urine screening, and again it turned out positive - upon repeating the test, the same turned out positive again, and things were looking pretty dark and gloomy for us. He was contemplating losing his chance to even come out of jail in a few months, having to stay there for two years due to violation of probation due to a positive drug screening test. One of our very good friends, a nurse, began a major research project to determine if any of the meds he uses could give a false positive, but with no results. We even called his doctor explaining the situation, only to receive a call back from the doctor saying that maybe he was lying to all of us and using Marijuana after all.

That was unsettling, to say the least. Then, the nurse contacted my case manager, one of the most knowledgeable persons I know on HIV/AIDS issues, and explained the situation to him. To our amazement, he promptly replied that he knew for a fact that one of the relatively new HIV/AIDS drugs was responsible for giving a false positive result for 'Cannabinoids'. The name of the culprit.... SUSTIVA!!! And he takes it DAILY!!! What a relief that was... Now we have documentation that proves he is not guilty, and that will be posted to his personal file so that if he is ever required to take another test that turns out to be positive, he should have no problems.

We feel we have the responsibility of sharing this information with 'our' community - there must be a considerable number of people out there that might eventually find themselves on similar situations - if not by being in jail, by being required to take a drug screening in order to obtain or keep their job, and if they are using SUSTIVA, they are likely to get in trouble. We must pass this on to as many as we can in order to prevent others from suffering as we have. All the technical data can be obtained at www.sustiva.com - upon reaching the site, one should click on 'prescribing information' - there, on page 19 of the publication, you will find the report on 'Cannabinoid Test Interaction'.

Please do help us by passing this information around to as many people as possible, and asking them to do the same for others.

Take care and keep up the good fight!!!

GayCzar......:o)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GayCzar
Unregistered

Re: Urine Drug Screening and SUSTIVA! new
      #19851 - 07/28/01 03:43 AM

I forgot to add my e-mail address in case anyone wanted to correspond regarding the issue I just exposed. Feel free to write to GayCzar@gay.com or GayCzar@yahoo.com, and we can go from there exchanging experiences, ideas, and how we could help others.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1610

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3