Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: Expert Opinions on HIV Cure Research

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Anonymous
Unregistered

how long to live?
      #197250 - 06/23/06 09:24 AM

hi. I'm wonderin what the average life expectancy is for someone in the US living with HIV. I know it differs greatly from body to body but any general ideas?

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
Re: how long to live? new
      #197253 - 06/23/06 10:25 AM

That's very difficult to say. Medications have become so much better in recent years that each year the life span seems to get longer and longer. It's many doctors' opinion that as long as an individual has access to quality healthcare/pharmaceuticals and adheres to their treatment program that they can expect a near normal if not fully normal life span.

Of course, that being said, if you calculate based upon history, it can range anywhere from 10 to 20 years after starting medications. BUT you need to realize that the average differs greatly based upon how far back in time you go in order to calculate the average. If you only go back a short while, the number is greater due to the impact of better medications. Since the treatment programs weren't as good further back in time, the number drops the further back you go to calculate the average.

There was a French study completed this past year that noted that the morbidity rates of those infected with HIV were no greater than uninfected people PROVIDED they have access to quality healthcare AND their T-cells are above 500.

Suffice it to say, the lifespan is now long enough that it is now considered a chronic condition which can be managed rather than a fatal condition.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #197259 - 06/23/06 11:19 AM

Diagnosed in the past 7 years? "Noraml life expectancy". Of course where is the proof? We are living proof. We shall see... Everybody is different. My Doc says "You will die of something else unrelated to HIV." I hope so, but again, this is a work in progress..... You also must take into account that we probably all will deal with side effects to some degree. I pray we can have a "quality" to this "Normal Life Expectancy". So, dont ask the question. Just do it one day at a time.. Lets see what happens. Whats your rush into the future?

Love

Eric "RatBoy"

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197273 - 06/23/06 01:28 PM

There really is no easy answer to this question. Being diagnosed today obviously gives people a much greater chance of living a normal life expectancy.

However, no one really knows. HIV is a relatively new disease. Alot of it depends on if a person can tolerate their medications, what strain of the virus they have been infected with and if drug resistance becomes an issue.

There are of course many more medications in the pipeline which will continue to offer extended life to those who are running out of options with existing treatments.

Mental attitude can probably also be a factor. People with a positive outlook on life will probably live longer than those with a negative attitude.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197278 - 06/23/06 02:13 PM

excuse me but the pills you are taking will end up killing your liver and other organs

Survivor
Legend

#197290 - 06/23/06 04:03 PM

which pills are you talking about? Ill be sure not to take those ones... Live awhile and have liver failure or die in five years from a slow painful death? Your choice..

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #197326 - 06/23/06 06:03 PM

You know that Paul McCartney just had his 64th birthday. (A La "Seargeant Peppers Loney Hearts Club Band") When he wrote that song..."When I'm 64" , the life expectancy in England was 63 years.
My mother is now 96....she survived the flu epidemic of 1913 (date?) and is now so old she cant remember why she is supposed to get up in the morning.
When I was diagnosed POZ in 1989 I was sure that I would be dead in 4 or 5 years. So I paid for my cremation, made up the will and all that and decided to do some traveling.
I'll just take my chances thank you very much....I really dont want to know what my life expectancy is.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Blixer
Legend

Reged: 01/10/06
Loc: Missouri
      #197334 - 06/23/06 07:10 PM

You make a very good point Bear! We should all be living for today and not for the future. Don't live recklessly and make provisions for the future, but don't plan on it. There is not a single person alive today that is guaranteed tomorrow. Everyday people are killed in accidents and by a variety of misfortune and disease. HIV is just another thing in the mix.

--------------------
David
Sustiva, Epivir, Videx EC

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197340 - 06/23/06 07:31 PM

If you don't take your meds, you will most likely die. But if you are really good at taking meds on time and you don't develop difficult side effects then the sky is the limit. THere are better and better drugs that are easier and easier to take. If you are in the developed world you probably can live a normal life span if you are serious about taking meds and you stay up to date regarding the newer meds and avoiding side effects.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197355 - 06/23/06 08:52 PM

I found out I was pos when I flunked a life insurance blood test. These companies exist to make money off premiums. The longer you live the more money they make. They use scientific fact based charts to determine how long people with different diseases are expected to live. Obviously they know something we aren't being told. If we really are able to live "normal" life spans why won't they insure us?..Think about it.

Survivor
Legend

#197360 - 06/23/06 09:10 PM

I dont know which life insurance your using, but mine is just great... They also know my status and I just increased it 6 months ago.... Go figure?

Anonymous
Unregistered

#197375 - 06/23/06 10:26 PM

I don't think it's helpful for you to be posting such negative thoughts on this forum. Many people on HIV meds have been taking them 10 years with few if any side effects.

AIDS2HIV
Unregistered

Post deleted by Becky new
      #197376 - 06/23/06 10:33 PM

eleniel
Guru

Reged: 05/27/06
Loc: Utah, USA
      #197378 - 06/23/06 10:53 PM

Well lets just say I'm convinced I'll die in a train wreck of some sort...and there aren't any trains anywhere near where I live. lol

Meaning, you could die tomorrow, with our without HIV....
Normal life span? Yeah. But in the end, it doesnt matter what your life expectancy is...Take care of yourself, avoid trains..and life will go on. Personally, I don't care about what my life expectancy is. If I could find out, I'd say 'dont tell me'.

Its not how long you live that matters, its how well you live.

--------------------
6/29/2010: vl 68,000 cd4: 205

Survivor
Legend

#197384 - 06/24/06 12:02 AM

This is all I have to say about this.........

http://www.mwscomp.com/sounds/mp3/brghtsd.mp3

Love

Eric "RatBoy"

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 12347

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3