Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
Read Now: TheBodyPRO.com Covers AIDS 2014

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
matt1983
Unregistered

just tested pos. questions?
      #197149 - 06/22/06 06:48 PM

Hello. Just tested pos on the 25th aniversy of it. What a slap in the face. I'm only 23. I have two questions.

One. How can I find out how good my dr is. I know he's accredited but I want to find a biography or some more info on him before I decide to stick with him.

Two here are my numbers for my first set of blood work. Are they Normal? I was infected sometime after nov

59,400 hiv-1 RNA copies/ mn
cd4 count 385.
any info would be great. thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: just tested pos. questions? new
      #197159 - 06/22/06 07:35 PM

Question is do you have any idea when your exposure was and how long ago?? I presume this is your first set of labs. If this is a receint exposure you could be in the ARS stages. If this is not (and only base line tests over a period of time will tell you your trends). Most HIV Doc's who are educated in the latest therapies recomend treatment beginning inthe 350-400 cd4 regardless of the viral load. AS you VL goes up, the more your CD4's loose their battles with the virus.

Being 23 years old, I know its hard to think about the future. In fact painful.. But this is ABSOLUTELY NORMAL. Being diagnosed now in 2006 you have every oportunity to live a good quality of life. Drug discoveries and approvals are in the fast paced line and even if you were to have to start meds in the not to distant future, our hope for long term survival is estonishing in comparison to just 7 years ago...

Find yourself an HIV ID DOC specialst. The advancements in therapies, meds are a entire dedicated process that many doctors devot their entire lives to helping us live. Find one who cares about you as a patient and as a friend. Pleasae stay close and keep asking us questions. We are all here to help and make your transition and your quality of living, your mental attitude to living the absolute VERY BEST! And it can be!! Trust me... I have some experience in this little HIV arena..

Love

Eric

matt1983
Unregistered

#197166 - 06/22/06 07:43 PM

I think i was infected in NOV. This was my first set and I know that it takes a few to establish the curve. I'm scared (as im sure everyone is) and not really sure how to tell people. its almost like im in a dream. ive told all people i could have potentionally infected. thank god!!!!!!! that noone tested pos. im not sure if i could live with myself if i knew. i'm just scared to inflict so much pain on those who love me (family and friends) can someone tell me what the avg life expectancty is for someone with hiv. i know that it differs greatly for all but an avg? also any ideas where i can look to find momre information on my dr?

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #197176 - 06/22/06 08:16 PM

I will tell you what my ID Doc told me (bare in mind I live in the USA and have excellant benefits). "Eric, live your dreams, your going to be around for them.". I would not suggest you sell your life insurance just right yet". And this may be contraverisial but I beleive my ID DOC who is a world renound teacher and educator and runs a practice (PHD) in molucular/viral of HIV. "Eric, you will die of something most likely unlreated to HIV." The drug discovery pipeline is at its highest activity trying to develop new meds as well as many many treatment trials and studies coming out every six months. Keep a postive attitude knowing even now, there is a good supply of meds that will allow you to go on. I will also preface that there can be side effects to these meds, but now toxicity levels have been tappered off and are know where near what they were even seven years ago. So, when you talk around the boards, remember you are talking to long term survivors as well as newly infected. You must remember back in the days of Monotherapies such as AZT kept people alive, but also where quite toxic. Now adays, with Pheno/Geno typing your particular virus for resistance factors coupled with very close monitoring of liver function etc, doctors know what to look out for and curtail any adverse results to medications. Again, these are powerful meds and I am not trying deminish that fact, but they keep me alive and living and I am doing spectacular. Its all the mental headgames you need to work out right now. Take your time, ask questions and get as much knowledge as you can. "Knowledge is power". Take control of your HIV and do NOT ALLOW FOR ONE SECOND, for this condition to make you think you are different than anyone else... I know that seems ruff, but in time, and I stress "In time" you will learn..

In response to disclosing to those whom you love? Maybe you should not for now until you learn a bit more about your HIV. They will ask you questions and you need to have those answers. Dont make this such a big issue. You are still the same person you were before. First get educated so you can reashure your loved ones where you stand. This is not something you have to do now. YOU AINT GONA DIE! Baby steps. Tell those who you feel can support you and understand, but this is a decision only you can make. I surround myself with loving and caring family and friends who all know me and my husbands status. I personally do not keep secrets and never have. But thats me. That does not have to be you... If you contact your nearest ASO (Aids Service Organization) by clicking the tab (home) at the top of your screan you can get hooked up into this system of extremly great support groups. In the meantime, if your not registered here, do so. You can develop many friendships that will carry you through. You can bounce all sorts of questions of our heads, (since we been there) and get some insight before you spill the beans etc...... Use this site, it will save your life, mentally, spiritually and physically...

Finally, I know your young and you have your entire future to look forward to... Do NOT change this thinking or change any of your plans....... I would formally introduce yourself and give us a bit of your back ground so we can have more common ground on which to relate to you. Only if you feel comfortable. But I guarantee you, if you do this, you will feel a heck of alot better....

Keep talking!

Love

Eric - "RatBoy"

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1573

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3