HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
dj1979
Guru

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Had to disclose to many people!
      #196617 - 06/19/06 07:55 AM

Okay, I'm sick of this. I fell Fri. evening - stepping over a chain "fence" at the Little League field. I landed on my left arm, with it twisted under me. Broke it in 3 places, plus dislocated my elbow. Had to go to hospital via ambulance, have surgery, etc. I feel like I told 20 people "oh by the way I'm HIV+" I'm SICK of it!!! I know I did the proverbial "right thing", because I only told those who had potential exposure.

This sucks - typing with one hand, on narcotics, out of work - Christ, I can't even put a bra on!!!

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
Re: Had to disclose to many people! new
      #196618 - 06/19/06 08:03 AM

Oh Dj so sorry to hear about that. Narcotics though, that has to be good. I have not been in that position yet where I had to tell everyone and their mother for that reason but it must have been hard. Would you like me to come and teach you how to walk though! :) Sorry, just want to make you feel better.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#196630 - 06/19/06 11:50 AM

Boy talk about bad luck, sorry to hear about your accident.

Once you tell the EMT's about your status the information is conveyed to the appropriate medical personelle you'd come in contact with along the way. Not necessary to tell each new person involved in your care. The people who need to know have been informed and must respect your confidentiality by law.

Good luck, heal soon. No bra means FREEDOM I thought...lol

daisey6205
Legend

Reged: 09/08/05
Loc: kansas
      #196632 - 06/19/06 12:00 PM

sorry to hear about your trip not landing the way you intended. that had to suck. i have not been in that situation either yet. i can only imagine what you must have been feeling. i hope you get to feeling better. i like frans idea though of giving you walking lessons.
just remember........ left, right, left, right. i dont think you are suppose to be doing the hokey pokey on the ball field. did you tell everyone you ment to do that? i think i would have told them not to try this without adult supervision.
get better soon.....
daisey

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #196635 - 06/19/06 12:12 PM

YUCK. I'm so sorry to hear about your accident!!!! That stinks. Hope you are feeling better soon.

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #196671 - 06/19/06 03:58 PM

Oh DJ... Shit happens to all of us all the time every second of everyday... Dont be to down on yourself and your a trooper for telling these caregivers to be protective of themselves... You are an angel... You are a protector. God, the world needs more of you....

PS.... NO MORE FUCKING CLIMBING FENCES FOR YOU... Ill tell you a story I have never told William. He hates when I climb or do high altitiude stuff.. I was really cocky and I decided not to rope in, Well, I made it 50 feet and lost my grip. I fell about 20 feet missing every single boulder. I should not be here. So, be blessed. I do not do as much stuipid shit. But I gets me feeling alive tho...

You will mend and you will be fine and your doctors will have appreciated you being open about your protien problem!

Love you honey

Eirc

MiamiLat
Guardian

Reged: 12/30/05
Loc: Miami, FL
      #196678 - 06/19/06 05:09 PM

DJ,
Your status is protected under HIPPA law. As an EMT, I know all health care workers must take BSI (Body Substance Isolation) precautions with ALL patients. It is up to you to disclose your status, and if and once you do, it goes on your chart alerting everyone else who comes in contact with you.
I wish you a speedy recovery...

--------------------
"Education, prevention, awareness, research, and support"

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #196691 - 06/19/06 06:32 PM

Oh crap.... well I hope you used a few more CHOICE words about that accident. I hope you feel better soon and mend quickly.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

SoSadTooBad

Reged: 05/19/06
Loc: NY, NY
      #196694 - 06/19/06 07:06 PM

dj - hope you are on the mend. I can understand the stress of telling people under duress - and I don't look forward to it.

Godspeed.

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #196722 - 06/20/06 09:22 AM

Recently had to do the same thing while in the hospital. IT SUCKS! Luckily, the folks at the hospital could tell that I was more uncomfortable about my status than they were, so they did their best not to make an issue of it.

In fact, several times a nurse or attending physician was about to check me without gloves. I stopped them and asked if they'd checked my status on the charts. They looked at me strangely, but followed my suggestion. In almost every case, I noticed a look of gratitude on their faces. I think they genuinely appreciated the fact that I cared enough about THEIR well being to warn them. Every one of them who checked, thanked me. Frankly, I noticed that they started going out of their way to make my stay more bearable.

I'm convienced that the Golden Rule still benefits us: "Do unto others as you would have them do unto you."

daisey6205
Legend

#196732 - 06/20/06 10:21 AM

Eric-
you really need to stop bragging about being so "COCKY". us deprived woman might think you want us or something.........
lol
daisey

sadface
Legend

Reged: 02/15/06
      #196741 - 06/20/06 10:53 AM

NO bra? My titties would be draggin' with sparks. HAHA
Sorry to hear about your misfortune, we are all behind you...especially if we think you might fall again, you clutz!!
Love you,
SF

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #196828 - 06/20/06 07:49 PM

Daisey, this is the only way I am going to beat this thing. I cant change the fucked up way I am wired...

daisey6205
Legend

#196910 - 06/21/06 09:51 AM

eric- you must have misunderstood what i ment about being "cocky", put your mind back in the gutter and then think about being "cocky".
lol
daisey

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 4493

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3