Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

Adopting a child
      #194395 - 06/03/06 10:06 PM

I am HIV positive and my wife is negative. We would like to adopt a child. Does anyone know of any agencies that would allow a person with HIV to adopt a child? Thanks.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
shannon

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Illinois/Washington, D.C.
Re: Adopting a child new
      #194404 - 06/03/06 10:38 PM

I'm not certain, but I think our agency might very well.
Adoption-Link of Oak Park, Illinois.
They have very few restrictions on who can adopt and they are nonprofit, ethical and affordable. I can't recommend them highly enough. We're waiting for our second baby through adoption.
Good luck!

--------------------
"All that you have is your soul."
Tracy Chapman

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #194416 - 06/04/06 12:02 AM

i have 3 of my sisters kids that were removed from her as to a drug problem,im going to court to get full custody of them ,and adopt them.im sure there are places like,child protection services.or child and family services you could try with

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194420 - 06/04/06 01:21 AM

I'm HIV+. It has totally devastated my kids...I would never adopt and put any child through it. Just my opinion. And single parenthood won't be a picnic for your wife either.

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #194439 - 06/04/06 09:50 AM

What is to say that his wife would be a single parent? You do not know how well he is doing and I am sure you have educated yourself enough to know that this can be a very managebale disease for some people.
As for the adoption, I feel like there are also children who need to be loved, who is to say by whom. There are also poz children that need to be adopted. That may be a nice idea for some.

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194512 - 06/04/06 07:25 PM

[quote]I'm HIV+. It has totally devastated my kids...I would never adopt and put any child through it. Just my opinion. And single parenthood won't be a picnic for your wife either. [/quote]

Sorry YOU allowed it to devestate your kids. It didn't have too.

Mine came through with flying colors growing up to be reasonable, pretty well adjusted, happy adults. All that and they weren't orpahed by EITHER postive parent. Matter of fact both of us are looking forward to the 1st grandchild before very long.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
      #194541 - 06/04/06 11:26 PM

the 3 i have plus my 4 wont end up getting any love if it werent for the drugs. and as long as i stay on them i will give them all i have no matter what,whos to say i dont get hit by a bus tomorrow,would that be better?does that mean i could love a child less?being a parent comes first and as long as they are raised right then they will know you love them ,tomorrow i will be waiting for the bus

shannon

Reged: 04/01/06
Loc: Illinois/Washington, D.C.
      #194547 - 06/05/06 12:11 AM

We actually really wanted to adopt an HIV+ or AIDS orphaned child. In the U.S. there aren't many babies born HIV+ anymore, but there are countless in Africa (and other countries, but our daughter is African American and we wanted her to have a same-race sibling).

We looked into going to Africa for our second child, but it turns out they do not allow lesbians to adopt, so we had to change our plan. (After that my daughter's nanny was diagnosed and we have our hands full with learning about HIV stuff for him, now.)

But it sounds like you are straight and married so if you were interested in adopting an HIV+ child you could certainly explore that possibility. Our domestic agency has a program that matches qualified adoptive parents with HIV+ children, worldwide. It's called "Chances by Choice."

As for the anons who are rudely judging your call to adopt: Mind your own business. Children without families need families. Period.

--------------------
"All that you have is your soul."
Tracy Chapman

Anonymous
Unregistered

#194844 - 06/07/06 01:37 AM

hello.....maybe you would have a better chance adopting a child that is older, or had HIV or another special need......did you ever consider fostering or invitro ferterlization when you go to "undetectable" this was discussed on a program a saw on tv and they had mentioned there was considerablly lower risks to transmitting the illness to child I think they mentioned 1 % speak to some doctors if this is a possiblity, otherwise try for a older child and explain your situation up front, some children live their whole life in the system and are turned out once they turn 18, I think it would be better to have a family for a little while than not at all, and who knows maybe they will finallly find a cure and you can start perparing for a long happy life and you will know you made the difference in a child who never had love, a family, memories, better education to succeed, and most of all someone who truely cared......just realize you will need money kids are quite an expense.....best of luck to you and your wife
Keep trying til it happens!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 3597

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3