Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
ScotCharles
Legend

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
Age of AIDS to air on PBS May 30 and 31
      #193625 - 05/30/06 02:25 PM

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/aids/

PBS Frontline will air a documentary on HIV/AIDS from the first mysterious cases in the late 70's to the present pandemic. Should be excellent, especially for all you young'un's who don't know how far we have come.

You must know your history to avoid repeating your history.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Age of AIDS to air on PBS May 30 and 31 new
      #193699 - 05/30/06 11:56 PM

i just finished watching it. Very good....put together all those loose ends we have been talking about on here. The Regan Years were well dealt with. They said the first death due to AIDS was in 1959. That the Haitians were the ones who probably brought AIDS back to Haiti from Africa and that because of the hot tourist industry in Haiti in the 70's, was when it jumped into the gay population here. There were heterosexual Haitians dying of AIDS in 1981 but noone ( even in the medical community) would believe it was the same thing as gays dying. Can u say STIGMA?

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Legend

Finally some numbers on expected survival time new
      #193744 - 05/31/06 09:57 AM

Interesting statistic in the London Financial Times this morning that uses experiential data to estimate that the meds have increased the average life expectancy from onset of clinical AIDS to death from just a few months to 13 years. Finally we have some real numbers and a refutation of the misguided notion that many have that AIDS is a chronic but manageable disease.

The thirteen year survival rate should increase as the new entry inhibitor drugs come onto market; however, these new drugs have serious liver side effects and require rigourous lifestyle changes - no alcohol ever, no cigarettes, no drugs and constant monitoring of liver function.

I fear this will all be too late for me as I feel very weary today of the fight and want it over. I miss terribly all those who died that I knew in my youth. I need to rest.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Finally some numbers on expected survival time new
      #193766 - 05/31/06 11:01 AM

Oh Charles.....I know the feeling. But honey.....those are still just numbers ( 13 yrs?) hell there are a lot of us who havent died yet.....so isnt this statistic based on the people who have DIED. And does that include Africa?
I still say its just numbers.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #193767 - 05/31/06 11:04 AM

Chuck... I love you dearly my friend. I know life is at best difficult for you.. Please know I am here for you in whatever you need. You do have gay friends and I am one of those privilaged guys to have gotten to know you. We ALL have our sad times, our feelings of hoplessness and lonelyness. If I tell you that there are brighter days ahead and that purhaps another purpose for you exists? Would you consider that? I know walking down memory lane for us gays and just as much as straight people that die, we all feel loss. We may, more than others and I do not pretend to know what you have been thru nor do I pretend to know your pain. But, in a fashion, I do. I lost my best friend 3 days ago in a car accident that took one of the most beautiful human beings from me. I dont want to loose these people, nor do I wish to loose you. Please know that I think of you often and pray for brighter and better days..

I Love you Chuck and Always will.

ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
      #193768 - 05/31/06 11:27 AM

Oh ScotCharles. Your post just touched me so deeply. Please don't ever give up hope...sometimes that is all we have...HIV or no HIV. Sometimes we do get weary...and perhaps you need to rest, but merely to recharge and fight again....you have come so far...unscathed...no...but wiser I would bet. I'm not sure of your spiritual beliefs..nor is it any of my business, but those that we have lost, I believe watch over us. And I do believe we will see them once again...but in god's own time...not our own. Stay strong...keep believing...in yourself and in your Higher Power.

You continue to be in my prayers.

Faith

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #193782 - 05/31/06 12:29 PM

It probably also doesn't take into account whether or not people have continuous access to appropriate healthcare and pharmaceuticals. It also doesn't account for whether or not the individuals are adhering to their treatment plans. Also, how far back in time are they calculating the averages...they may be including years when treatment options were not as great as they are today.

alivehoping
Legend

Reged: 04/05/06
Re: Age of AIDS to air on PBS May 30 and 31 new
      #193792 - 05/31/06 12:50 PM

was watchin it i only wish they would have put it on a national station more people would watch,but at least there is pbs to air this important issue,makes me want to donate to the station

ScotCharles
Legend

#193799 - 05/31/06 01:06 PM

Sorry guys, that is a current average for people in developed countries with access to appropriate health care. What may bring the number down is the US which does not have a national health system and so people with AIDS do tend to die earlier in the US than Europe and Canada.

The average time to death in Africa is ever so much less.

Again, sorry, and it is only an average, some live longer, some less, no information on the variance in the statistic although I could research it for you. But, chickens, do we really want to know? Best to live in the moment as I have always said, and not count the years to death. That date we shall all keep on a day unknown to us.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
      #193804 - 05/31/06 01:12 PM

Current average implies that a specific time period has been measured. How far back did they go? Also, the issue of compliance with the treatment regimens doesn't sound like it's been addressed (non-compliance is the number one reason for developing resistance).

ScotCharles
Legend

#193822 - 05/31/06 01:58 PM

Average measures those who have died during the measurement period who were on treatment during the measurement period. This is a current average not a moving average.

Why are you surprised by this number? How many people do you know who have survived fifteen years, or twenty? The average will go up as those who go on less damaging therapies live longer, perhaps exponentially. Averages do not predict the future; they record the past. However no one can predict with certainty what will happen with AIDS, we can merely use past data to construct a predictive model of the future.

Right now despite strict adherence to med regimen, people develop resistance and new drugs become vital to survival. Cancer and heart disease are on the rise among the HIV infected, which may signal a limit to AIDS survivability. You can find any sort of predictive model you like, but the fact is that people live longer now than they did 25 years ago and people 25 years from now will live longer yet. There is no cure for AIDS, despite what you may have heard.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

alivehoping
Legend

#193824 - 05/31/06 02:25 PM

my question is how is the new drugs that hurt the liver going to be of any benifit to the people like myself who have hepatitis as well,which wouldnt seem right to try these things on us as we are already in a pool of liver problems.and the survival time of thirteen years should be looked at better with strict guidlines,but that would take very honest people who stay on their meds as required for a real firm basis for a real estimate of time.my way is to fight the good fight no matter how long i have,im here to stay be it in body or others minds i will not be gone,and at least i will be a numberon our list even if the number is one we dont want hopfully the number willbe seen as one nobody else will want,but our government must step up their work here at home first,doesnt charity begin at home?i kinda know what the people of new orleans went through,i feel left out by the inaction of the government as well as im going to be stripped of medical insurance

ScotCharles
Legend

#193825 - 05/31/06 02:29 PM

Answer is the same as it was 25 years ago - Learn to live in the moment and savour each excellent second of life. Read Proust for some guidance in that area, friend.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

alivehoping
Legend

#193826 - 05/31/06 02:32 PM

wasnt it said somewhere in time life isnt for the feble?i have to live long enough to see the buffalo sabres win a cup,and if its this year then great,i will wait for the bills to win a bowl and i know that will give me plenty of life,lol

ScotCharles
Legend

#193828 - 05/31/06 02:37 PM

Or the Cubbies to win the World Series. Or the crowning of Michael, Duke of Albany, as rightful King of Scotland, rather than those Germans down south; and then independence for Scotland once and forever.

Oh....and a cure for AIDS.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 5864

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3