The Body: The Complete HIV/AIDS Resource
Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Maricela30
Regular

Reged: 02/26/06
Discriminated by the persons that loves me....
      #191703 - 05/16/06 04:25 PM

I use to be a manager at this apartments that I used to live in . I made friends quickly because am an out going person. Amongst those people I made a good friend she was an older lady in her 60ís. She was my friend for those 4 years that I managed the apartments.. Until I moved I continued my friendship with her even though I had move I visit her from time to time . One day I went in to town to the city where I used to live and ran into her . I saw her waiting by the bus stop and I remember that it was cold and windy that day so I decided to give her a ride. She was happy to see me but at the same time had a puzzled look in her eyes. When we got to the store she sayed ď Mary I saw you on the news is it true ď my mind wonders off sometimes so I didnít answer
her right away . Then I told her about my story and how I came to be postive. I wasnít sure if I had already told her or not . Beside I remembered that I had come out in the coin 6 news . I told every thing and explain to her that by me shaking her hand she wasnít going to get HIV. She did not look convinced.A couple of days went bye and I received a call from her I wasnít there so she left a message and told me ďMary I donít want you to take it bad I don't want to hurt your feelings but am older lady and cant afforded to get sick.
I ask of you not to visit me any more but we could still be friends and call each other on the phone.ď I felt like if some one had torn my heart out and thrown it in the trash. Out of all the things this hurt me so much. I did not cry because of all I the information I know, if it would have been back when I frist got my results maybe I would of broke down crying. I guess I thought that because she was older, she was wiser but I was wrong I felt sorry for her that she had all the wrong info all well. I could say I handle it better then I would of thought. Just proves to me that there's lots of stigma and discriminatcion still out there and even amongs our familiy, friends and love ones sad to say even my partner is in denial and hates what I do. Say that it is bad engouht to know where HIV postive and for me to expose myself what do you get out of it ??? "DISCRIMINATION" I reply but telling him you know something our silence is killing us, we need to be expose to help peolpe out there in hopes they get tested and so no more new cases we be diagnose.I donít give up on him because people like him need people like us to make them realize that his silences and other peoples silence
is killing us and we need to break the silence if not we will be prisoners of that denial for the rest of our days. I try not to get to upset I just try to let him see my point of view is it working donít know yet.....

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ItsFaith
Legend

Reged: 10/17/05
Re: Discriminated by the persons that loves me... new
      #191710 - 05/16/06 04:41 PM

Oh Marciella, I'm so sorry you had to experience such a hurtful event. Ignorance is so sad. Please hold your head high and try to smile. You are loved.

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
Re: Discriminated by the persons that loves me.... new
      #191718 - 05/16/06 05:13 PM

Maricela-

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your friend. It's a shame that the people who should love and accept you most (those who know you) are often the ones who hurt you. Unfortunately, we live in a society where most people assume the worse before investigating or educating themselves. This is especially true among the older population.

Hopefully, your friend will come to realize that she was wrong, ask your forgiveness and try to rekindle the friendship. If not, it's HER loss.

Keep your eyes and heart opened. There are people who are looking for a good friend like you.

-Gary

Maricela30
Regular

Re: It'sFaith new
      #191749 - 05/16/06 09:38 PM

Your right I will this is not the end of the world beside it is not going to stop me from helping others. Friends come and go and I have you right ..thanks for hearing me out.

Maricela30
Regular

Re: To Florida69 new
      #191751 - 05/16/06 09:41 PM

I think I will call her some day but for now I will leave things asis ..I wanted her to call me frist so we will see. If she is a true friend she will call.

Maricela30
Regular

Re: Choseing 2 Live new
      #191753 - 05/16/06 09:44 PM

Thank you for letting see things that way I will and I am always looking for friends and I have GREAT ones here at the body.. like you and everyone else thank you so much..I feel good

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: To Florida69 new
      #191756 - 05/16/06 10:05 PM

Maricela, unfortunately, this is the world we have to live in. You did a noble thing by talking to your close friend about your status. You are absolutely right in your afirmations about being HIV. I have a feeling your friend will now find out more about HIV. I would expect in a not to distant future from now, she will call you back and appologize about her ignorance. She will miss you just as much as you miss her. How many "coming outs" have not gone well for you? I bet, this might have been the first. If we stay in the closet, nothing EVER IS GOING TO FUCKIN CHANGE. Keep doing this for you. Keep doing this for us!

Love you !

Anonymous
Unregistered

#191758 - 05/16/06 10:21 PM

I would love to change the world. it is so unfair we all need to make a stand. this could happen to anyone her child or even her. nobody knows what life will bring. life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get.

franfrog
Legend

Reged: 01/05/06
Loc: NJ
      #191784 - 05/17/06 07:29 AM

I am sorry Maricela. I hope she will soon come around and see that you had a great friendship and this is not something she should turn her back on you for. Hopefully she will see that it is not spread through the air or a handshack and maybe want to learn more about this from you. Maybe she was just taken by surprise. I hope she will come around. Good luck.

Choosing2Liv
Legend

Reged: 03/21/06
Loc: South
      #191797 - 05/17/06 09:35 AM

[quote] nobody knows what life will bring. life is like a box of chocolates you never know what your gonna get. [/quote]

That's true, but I've learned the value of looking closely to figure out where the "nuts" are. :)

Once I find them, I say to myself, "RUN GEE! RUN!!!"

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: Discriminated by the persons that loves me.... new
      #191800 - 05/17/06 09:42 AM

Sorry to hear about your friend's reaction... She is an old lady.. & sometimes old people go back to their childish minds:)))

Anyhow, your story is touching mine, I'm positive since 2 months now, and still no one knows about it!
I'm not happy that i don't share it with my friends. but i think its better to keep like this!
If i will go out and say about my status, what will I get? descrimination! & i will be rejected by some, & i will be looked at strangely by others... & i hate that!
I don't think that if we let people know about our status, this will help ending the HIV spread!
The only way in stopping HIV is by science breakthrough..
You will tell me about prevention... yes okay, but i did had safe sex with condoms.... I only got it by Oral sex! so what to do!??

I only can pray for all of us, that a cure, or preventive vaccine can be found soon..
till then i will live with my status alone, cause there is no meaning of sharing it.

Regards

Bear60
Legend

Reged: 12/21/05
      #191909 - 05/17/06 08:00 PM

Gee...is that your nickname????? G for Gary. Hey guy....hows it going with THE FAMILY? Any news worth posting???

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2845

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threadsô 6.2.3