HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
dj1979
Regular

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Extremely ill family member
      #188726 - 04/29/06 10:54 PM

My 85 year old uncle got severe pneumonia, then complicated by severe CHF. His living will was not specific enough, and to make a long story short, he ended up intubated and on a ventilator, with about a 10% prognosis. 5 days later, he is extubated, alert, and doing fairly well.

Unfortunately, he has also contracted a colonized staph infections - sounds like MRSA to me. I have not visited him since they moved him to a second hospital on Wed. (an hour away), and the infection was new as of yesterday. My mom has flown here from Florida (her only sibling) and is staying with us, and wants me to take her to see him tomorrow. She knows my status.

I know I can't isolate myself and stay away from all infections, but shouldn't I avoid KNOWN infectious people? I don't want to put additional stress on my immune system.

Thanks for anyone's input -

--Donna (My REAL name, by the way)

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
Re: Extremely ill family member new
      #188771 - 04/30/06 02:10 PM

I cant tell you what to do...but if it were me....I would not worry too much....what are you afraid of catching? I mean you dont have to touch him if you dont want to but seems to me he is the one who has the most to worry about. He is the one in the hospital. Your advantage is your age...I think....you are younger and more able to bounce back from illnesses.....even with your HIV

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1287

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3