Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
Animals....Pets
      #188265 - 04/27/06 01:27 PM

In regard to HIV infected people keeping animals as pets, the guidelines are spelled out in detail in the PAWS website:
http://www.pawssf.org/
Its interesting to note that the previous post had a question about whether you can get HIV from animals. Ny1001 dealt with it effectively: No you cant. But people infected with HIV must be careful of diseases carried by animals. Apparently since monkeys, chimps etc are so close to human DNA, that they are the most dangerous animal to have as a pet.
Animals to Avoid
Unfortunately, some animals simply present too much risk to immunosuppressed people and should be avoided altogether: Stray animals, Animals with diarrhea, reptiles (turtles, lizards, and snakes) and amphibians, wild animals and birds (including pigeons), farm animals, non-human primates (monkeys). Non-human primates carry the greatest risk because of their close genetic relationship to humans. These animals should not be pets under any circumstances. It is also good to remember that the humans in the household pose just as many risks to the animal.

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
dj1979
Regular

Reged: 03/02/06
Loc: rural upstate NY
Re: Animals....Pets new
      #188383 - 04/28/06 06:18 AM

Thanks Bear, I guess I don't have to worry about our pets. Our menagerie includes:

one cat named Marley who has a real bitchy side
one cute little hamster named Critter who escaped the other night and got chased by the cat
one tarantula named A-Z who stays in his aquarium and no one touches - EVER!

That's it - no reptiles or monkeys in our house.

--Donna

Bear60
Veteran

Reged: 12/21/05
      #188393 - 04/28/06 08:33 AM

I'll bet your cat had a good time with that!!!!!

--------------------
6 ft tall poz bear in Philadelphia

ScotCharles
Veteran

Reged: 05/06/05
Loc: Los Angeles
      #188403 - 04/28/06 10:17 AM

Cats are especially dangerous and I have two. If you are HIV+ do not ever change their litter unless you wear a snug surgical mask and wash you hands thoroughly after - danger of toxoplasmosis infection. Do not ever let your cat break your skin with her claws or teeth - danger of CMV infection. Wash your hands thoroughly after petting your cat. Get regular tests for the presence of toxo and CMV. Most importantly, enjoy your kitty, she can see the departed and has a wonderful attitude on life since she sees it as a progression of sleep, food, play, sleep, food, play... Not a bad philosophy.

--------------------
Life is a river.
Carpe diem.

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 2 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 2430

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3