Follow Us Follow Us on Facebook Follow Us on Twitter Download Our App
Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

HIV vaccine in the making
      #188254 - 04/27/06 12:56 PM

Read this article below and someone explain a couple of things to me..i am a health care professional, and part of my job is HIV/AIDS education. during my trainin on HIV i was told and (i teach this as well to my students) that people can't get HIV from animals. and animals dont get HIV..they may get other diseases that is similar to HIV but not HIV itself. and according to this study, they tested this vaccine in monkey and it was effective..??!! of course it would be effective, because monkeys dont get HIV. i mean, am i wrong? i must be missing something because it does not make any sense to me....???

http://msnbc.msn.com/id/12456940/

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ny10001
Grand Master

Reged: 07/08/05
Loc: New York
Re: HIV vaccine in the making new
      #188258 - 04/27/06 01:06 PM

There are enough similarities between the primate immune system and the human immune system that it is logical to see if a vaccine can trigger a member of the primate family's immune system to begin producing antibodies to HIV. Remember...a vaccine is a way of tricking the body into thinking that it's been exposed to something so that anti-bodies are the result.

It's true that HIV will not produce disease in a primate other than a human; however, you can still inject a monkey full of the virus....it just won't progress due to the fact that the virus has the wrong configuration to successfully infect a monkey's cells....so eventually the virus that was injected simply dies out since it can't find a proper host cell within the monkey. That doesn't mean, however, that vaccines can't be tested in monkeys...in fact, if they trick a monkey's immune system into producing antibodies, then there's a higher probability that it will work in humans as well. It's necessary to test these things in animals before humans to uncover any unexpected side effects. As an animal lover...I hate that, but as a logical person, I recognize the need for such testing.

Anonymous
Unregistered

Re: HIV vaccine in the making new
      #188449 - 04/28/06 02:45 PM

Do you think they will find a cure one day? Or would it be a vaccine so you don't get hiv ?

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1970

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3