Professionals >> Visit The Body PROThe Body en Espanol
  Breaking News: FDA Approves Triumeq, New Once-Daily Combination Pill

HIV Life >> Living With HIV

Pages: 1
Anonymous
Unregistered

US versus Canada?
      #187102 - 04/19/06 08:54 PM

Thanks everybody for caring and enlightening postings I read regularly. I have a medium income and my concern is about dependent family member. I am trying to evaluate whether it would be wise to accept a job offer from Canada and relocate. I have a confusing impression from the research I’ve done so far. Free access to healthcare in Canada associates with a median waiting time to treatment of 16 weeks. Besides, the drugs are covered just partially. On the other hand US insurance companies are not in favor of providing coverage that add to “struggle for life”. I wonder if anybody has a view on which system it better, specifically for life prospective of HIV positive.

Thanks again

Post Extras: Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
Re: US versus Canada? new
      #187108 - 04/19/06 09:12 PM

I cannot comment on Canada, but I did alot of research what HIV was going to cost. I happen to have an extremly extensive group health care plan here in USA. In Colorado where I live, infact, if I were to change jobs or companies, I cannot be refused health care. I did the math that once I go off the study that I am currently on, I will have to fork about about 200 bucks a month for drugs and the labs are covered. I know others ASO's to set up treatment and case workers (Aids Service Organizations) to give you better insite and help in maintaining your meds and health care. I hope you find your answers. I know quite a few Canadians over at AIDSMEDS.COM they may be able to shed some light on what their challenges are...

Good luck in your quest..

Anonymous
Unregistered

#187111 - 04/19/06 09:41 PM

Hope this helps a bit......

http://www.smith-hughes.com/papers/pdf_bin/Overview%20of%20Canadian-Immigration-LawPoliciesHIV.pdf

Survivor
Legend

Reged: 10/30/05
Loc: Get off the fence and live again!
      #187114 - 04/19/06 09:53 PM

D- I heard Florida is pretty ruff on insurance coverages and meds in general.... Sounds like it..

Pages: 1

What's New at TheBody.com

Additional Information
0 registered and 1 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  TheBody, bogart, crabman, riverprincess 

Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Thread views: 1755

Jump to

Contact Us | Privacy Statement The Body

UBB.threads™ 6.2.3